If God Exists, Why Isn't It Obvious?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 27, 2016.

Where do your stand on the belief spectrum?

1. Devout believer

2. Believer with some doubts

3. Agnostic (don't know)

4. Leaning towards atheism

5. Atheist

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

God's morality? But 'god' who? :yum:

2. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

To participants: Providing context to this statement. A super-snippy video below.
    (to the more adventurous kind, writings of Karl Popper and Thomas Kunh is a good place to excavate science)

Sairindhri and kaniths like this.
  3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

The question of intervention comes when evil is absolute.
    When we have relativistic moral code/evil then intervention becomes tricky.
    I quoted a specific post because I didnt think it was that simplistic. I dont expect God to do or not do anything . I dont know what to expect anymore. If I did I would not be here.
    Give u another example.
    I grew up in a place where draining the blood completely out of an animal before eating was normal. They would nick a small cut at the main artery and leave the poor animal to beat and beat and suffer until all that motion caused the blood to flow out. The pain the animal feels is real..to me its cruel and I wished so many many times why god could not just swoop down and put that poor creature out of misery. But he wouldnt ...u see thats what I wanted but if god did that he wouldnt be fair to the butcher and also those folks who wanted to eat meat that way.

4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

*oh just skip to next* *am super bored* *digression alerted*

Anybody here thinks its okay for the lion to bite a wild boar the same way wherever that artery is? I mean the pain is real, blood is real and even worse later on its left out in the open for the scavengers sakes! So no misery here or s it any less? But its the law isn't? How to put god in this equation? Do we question the lion's / scavenger's morality? They did according to the design but still evil? Now whose side am on! Yeahh I should sleep! #justbeingsilly #dontbother! : ))

5. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

JAG,

In the antiquity, Gods modeled after natural forces had segmented roles to perform in keeping the world running. With the advent of monotheism, Gods had inferred roles to perform to save the soul from damnation. In this modern era, what do you think are the duties of the God? If there cannot be fair arbitration of crime and cruelty, I am assuming there cannot be objective compassion as well. If God cannot punish anyone because the cruelty of the act can never be deduced in absolute terms, would that conversely imply that the generosity of an act also can never be rewarded because even that cannot be calibrated in absolute terms. What is magnanimous to me may be middling to someone. In that case how can one assess the purity of a soul and dispatch to hell or heaven?

Going by the assumption, what are the duties of, let's say, even a non-interfering and laidback (deistic God)? If he cannot punish and he cannot reward, does that mean he is not endowed with or unwilling to exercise his marshalling powers. What are the responsibilities of this aloof and non-interfering God towards mankind in that scenario?

6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

*more degression* *becoz modji tells me often to just post!* *you can blame her!!*

At what point will you guys realise this discussion is endless one and plan to stop? I mean theists here are long gone already I guess, so until the oscillating ones give up and are done too? Hm. Okayyy then!

7. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

If there is no creator and no divine purpose, then my honest question - why do we need to live on? Sure some pleasures we will experience (and some pain too), and we will give others joy and will give others some sorrow too, but eventually wont remember it anyway later on when the "clock has ticked"? Is it coz our attachment to DH, DS, DD...so we live on? What is the purpose - is it the common journey of life with DH, DS, DD - what if they are not in picture - still have a purpose , despite the purpose will vanish one day since you vanish? And that DH DS DD will also vanish at some point in their lives.

Purpose of life? Death..?

8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

You miss the point. Purpose of our lives? Live in the moment, and make the most out of it, because this reality is the real and creator didn't give you any purpose but you just choose him as your end game while we chose different. Did the dead came back and told you about after life? Yeahhh exactly! : )

*this ll be lost in scrolling I know* *g ji will reply in depth in 200words soon*
    *hold on / lurk until then* *whatever*

Gauri03 likes this.
  9. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Instead of asking flippantly, pls research abt past life regression experiences @kaniths

10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Right back at ya, pls just Google, a basic search will tell you what our purpose in life is!