Nightie in Public

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JanSri, Jan 28, 2015.

1. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Absolutely !! But who will bell the cat ? Who is going to tell these ppl who wear it to treat it equally like a dress and wear it with proper undergarments and strut out.
    The dress as such is not gross, but the way it is treated..is gross.. It is like wearing sleeveless without shaving the underarm .. :) (started another debate I guess)

2. catwalk

catwalk Gold IL'ite

There are 3 points involved in this debate.

- Legal

Example: You cannot wear Saree in Saudi Arabia. It is legally not allowed. You must wear Burkha when you go outside.

- Cultural

Example: You cannot wear Saree or Burkha in Europe or other western states. Legally there is no ban on Saree or Burkha. But It is not WELL accepted by the local community. If you wish to integrate with the local community, you must dress up in line with the local culture.

- Dress codes

Generally we follow an unwritten dress code, regardless of the society we live in.
    We should choose the most appropriate dress depending on the event, place or participants. We don't wear our sunday cloths when we go to the grocery shop. Dress code for party and dress code for office is entirely different. If we are ignorant about it, we would end up in embarrassing situations like OP noted down. This is what is called civilization.

Here the problem is not the Nightie or sleeve less. But the people who use it inappropriately. Same thing is applicable to men who use Dhoti or Lungi. Some wear it displaying their shorts outside and without hiding their legs properly.

Dressing etiquette is very important.

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

How would you react to women wearing crumpled Kanjeevaram silk sarees - e.g. blue saree with yellow blouse - Hawai chappals and going to the market/temple or even to a wedding? We don't say much about that however odd it looks. It is just accepted.

Many dress forms were not accepted when they first made their appearance. The bell bottoms were so popular once upon a time, now they look out of place. Does it mean it will never be in vogue again? Fashions or "acceptance" or otherwise is all about what we make of it.

4. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Omg...hahaha....

1 person likes this.
  5. mimmyme

mimmyme Gold IL'ite

These days...everything is allowed under the name "FASHION"

6. nwasim

nwasim New IL'ite

Oriental women are rich of traditional neat and decent dressing for years. I can't even imagine these nightie ****ee. fashion should have its boundaries.

7. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

oh god, this is more than a year old thread. @yellowmango you are brilliant. But I cant stop singing to the tune of that song "Lungi dance Lungi dance" from Chennai Express!

To each his ( or I should say her) own, in terms of choosing what to wear in public. But I personally cringe when MIL wears her night gown in the nearby grocery store, especially the one in which she has done cooking and cleaning at home. Worse when she wipes her hands to that gown while cooking, the gown has two large big patches of oils, turmeric and what not. And she wants to wear it in the grocery store, when we are together. She is comfortable, I am not. That's just what I feel, may be wrong for someone who thinks I have no right to judge her. But I have right to not be seen with her ( or not torture myself with her choice of clothing) just because she wants me to be with her while she spends hours going to and fro each aisle and touch every food packet with the same hands that she continues to wipe on her gown in the store. :nut::nut::nut::nut::nut::nut::nut:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    KashmirFlower likes this.