Watcha Cooking..??

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by blindpup10, Jul 24, 2016.

1. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@chillbreeze- Sorry about your DH's preferences. How much women have compromises in a marriage.. right?

With lamb I did go full fledge Indian on it :biggrin::biggrin:. Made Pepper lamb fry. My DH loved it. Usually, he isn't a lamb lover coz of the smell... thanks to the tips in IL.. the lamb smell wasn't there. Slow cooked it for 2 1/2 hours.
    Mutton In Us?

Morning routine-
    Breakfast- Hard boiled eggs/ coffee
    Lunch- yesterdays' bisibele bath and lamb fry (for me) Salad and lamb for my H
    Dinner- Thawing chicken things.. Haven't planned what to do yet.

Can you give the recipe please of horse gram rasam?? I would like to try it.

2. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Pup, that's okay..I have got used to it and infact I have become more of a biriyani lover than my H now. And he too adjusts at times with my so called experiments. He never complains about what I make, I just identify if he likes it or not from how he eats.

I love both chicken and lamb pepper curry...glad your DH liked it. My yesterday's lunch was palak rice. Palak rice was yummy for lunch but I don't like having rice for dinner. But still had left over rice for dinner and had it with dry fish. (Don't ask me what combination is this, if I don't like something much I pair with dry fish and voila the food seems tasty).

Today's bf is millet dosa with tomato chutney. Lunch will be same. Unwell and going to clinic. So won't cook lunch.

Horsegram rasam recipe will give later today as going for checkup now.

parineetha and blindpup10 like this.
  3. blindpup10

@chillbreeze - dry fish:yum::yum:. Please serve me a plate at your house whenever food is ready :rolleyes:. I love all your combinations!

chillbreeze likes this.
  4. anehstar

anehstar Silver IL'ite

Gatte ki sabzi/ Gram flour dumplings curry. Its a speciality of rajasthani cuisine and its yumm:nut:

5. chillbreeze

Here is the horsegram rasam recipe. This is how my mom and mil prepare.

1. Add required horsegram, peeled small onions, garlic cloves, red chilli, cumin seeds, peppercorns and cook in pressure cooker. (I add curry leaves too). Once cooled off just take and keep the excess water aside.
    2. Soak tamarind in water and take tamarind juice.
    3. Grind one or two tomatoes in mixie (I sometimes add this also in pressure cooker and then mash it into a pulp with a ladle).
    4. Mix the horsegram water, tamarind juice and tomato pulp in a bowl. Add cumin powder, pepper powder and rasam powder (the last one if you wish).
    5. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and a red chilli, once it splutters add the rasam mix from step 4 and add salt to taste. Switch off once it starts to foam. Garnish with coriander leaves.
    We blend the horsegram cooked with onions, garlic etc and have it as thuvaiyal.

Another method is instead of step 1 just soak a tsp of horsegram for few hours and grind in mixie along with tomatoes and make as rasam. The rest of the steps is the same. This is the method I tried day before. But in this method the rasam doesn't look or feel like actual rasam..it has a kind of gooey texture due to ground horsegram. I didn't like it much but DH loved it.

parineetha and blindpup10 like this.
  6. chillbreeze

@anehstar I haven't heard of this..will try this soon. Thanks for sharing here.

7. IL86

IL86 Silver IL'ite

This is very nice thread. I am a foodie too would love to share my daily cooking menu.

My menu:

Y'day dinner-- Rice and runner beans, brinjal sambhar.
    Today bf-- Idli with Veg Kurma
    Lunch-- Rice with same Veg Kurma
    Dinner-- Yet to plan

@chillbreeze , Thanks for reminding horse gram, I should also buy from Indian stores.

Back home my mom prepares lot of horse gram dishes horse gram curry, horse gram pallya, even a sweet dish horse gram halva which I love eating.I am remembering my vacation 2 months back when I had it.

chillbreeze likes this.
  8. anehstar

anehstar Silver IL'ite

Sure. Its easy to cook and something different from our regular daal, sabzi. I guess we cant post the external websites link in here, so do check on the youtube. :)

blindpup10 likes this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

@blindpup10
    Try the Jerusalem lamb shwarma by Ottolenghi. Google will bring it up.

blindpup10 likes this.
  10. blindpup10

@chillbreeze- Hope you are feeling better. Thanks a lot for posting the recipe- This is almost the same recipe that my mom uses too. I will cook it one of these days and let you know how it came out.
    @anehstar- wow! man.. you definitely need to post it. Looking forward to trying it out.

Last night- Chicken fajita with shredded Brussels sprouts saute.
    Today breakfast- Hard boiled eggs/ coffee.
    Lunch- Chicken fajita and salad for DH. Green pea Pulao for me
    Dinner- Turkey breast marinated I will do shredded broccoli saute/Green pea Pulao for me

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016