If God Exists, Why Isn't It Obvious?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 27, 2016.

Where do your stand on the belief spectrum?

1. Devout believer

2. Believer with some doubts

3. Agnostic (don't know)

4. Leaning towards atheism

5. Atheist

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

And Rajni has a very nice explanation to the whole existence of God theory - - not sure if any of it is true but it was nice to watch!

2. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

You mean Science will have answers in the future? Yes, my point too! :)

Gauri03 and Laks09 like this.
  3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Please note that for me :
    Belief in God does not mean belief in any organized religion.
    Belief in God does not mean belief in rituals.
    Belief in God does not also mean that one does not believe in the findings of science so far.
    So what does it mean …

Sat chit ananda. The search for me has been is there an existence of all that stays true permanent and eternally blissful.
    .Is there something that does not change…something that remains constant in this ever changing universe?
    Is there something that science still needs to discover?
    The answer .I don’t know.
    Let me explain.

It took me 20 yrs of schooling to understand and comprehend what Stephen Hawking/Einstein was talking about when he talked about negative energy and how time does not exist in black hole. And how there cannot be a creator when there was nothing before time. Or when he talks about protons disappearing and appearing at quantum level .These are … hard concepts for most to digest when all we see around us are newtonian laws. Yet we persevere and we learn ..we master enough skills to comprehend those. We comprehend and understand many that are not obvious.including negative energy and quantum theory...why is God an exception?

I grew up in a fairly religious family . I questioned /argued …and each time I talked I ended up with more questions than answers.

But one thing became clear vedas and upanishads are not work of mediocre minds.

A simple example…. …unlike most religions which say god created word in x days which directly conflicts with science… rig veda says

Naiveha kiṁcanāgra āsīt:

In the beginning there was nothing…there was neither existence nor non-existence .

tama āsīt tamasā gūl̥ham agre 'praketaṁ salilaṁ sarvam ā idam | tucchyenābhv apihitaṁ yad āsīt tapasas tan mahinājāyataikam

At first there was only darkness wrapped in darkness. All this was only unillumined water.
    That One which came to be, enclosed in nothing, arose at last, born of the power of heat
    Not a trivial concept and not very different from there was nothing... it was one infinitesimal black hole and boom …. big bang…

If you pause for a moment you will realize that this was written thousands of years ago with no formalization of calculus zero access to linear accelerators and space ships…u will see why this passage is important. Its the work of a very sharp mind(s). And I am not ready to dismiss what they have to say until I have done my due diligence.
    Yes there are lots of inconsistencies. Given that these are thousands of years old..there was no easy source control to keep track of the edits or the fact that they have been passed down by sheer memory … but I hope to find the thread that connects it all.

This is a very complex topic…cannot write in a day..will try to post as my thoughts crystallize.
    Gauri the answer to why evil...why does God stand by . I grapple with that every day .....I listen and read many commentaries ....I know the explanation that is usually given which I cna attempt to post ...but I am not completely convinced.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Poetlatha, guesshoo, Lathasv and 8 others like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes, I think both aren't mutually exclusive.
    Edit : This is my personal belief. Nothing that I can substantiate with evidence.

Poetlatha, Gauri03 and kaniths like this.
  5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Non-believer turned believer due to mystical experiences. Gives me faith to hold onto something in tough times. Not one but many ... Just like one has to experience love so is God. I dont believe in doing business with the Supreme. Why evil/good? Why duality? Why masculinity/feminity? Why ying/yang? It's all in the balance and experience.

6. Sairindhri

Sairindhri Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing !
    He had been some influence with my spiritual life, indirectly!

Laks09 likes this.
  7. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Agreed - But -
    @Gauri03 Is it possible, perhaps possible, that there are things which the human mind (incl yours, mine and the Greek daadi-waala (bearded-waala)) in the dimensions that we use to think and analyze - cannot comprehend? There may be other dimensions that our brain has not yet figured out...Not saying it is, but if possible - then God/superpower cannot be ruled out - since perhaps we dont fully understand the complex system design yet.

Things/events happen (some happen unto us). Are they good things or bad things? Humans have defined A.B.C are good things (pleasure/goodwill sensors), and D.E.F are bad (pain/sorrow sensors). But are things/events just that - things/events? Good/Bad are perspectives our minds using our dimensions adding color to the natural events? Dunno.

IN ADVERSITY - do we retain values and character and do the RIGHT thing as per dharma? Temptation is universal to do adharma, that temptation is in-built variable in us too. Is that what we are being evaluated on, to reach the next level? (next levels like in a video game!?)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  8. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Hey Gauri, so finally you started the thread. Thanks.

My journey has been from a believer to non-believer to believer again.
    Today, I believe in God. But more on the lines described in the movie PK.
    My mother was very religious. Growing up, I used to hear all the prayers and slokas she recited. My GrandMa was also very religious and I used to sit next to her as she read religious books. We siblings used to look forward to festivals for special food.
    Growing up my relation to the God was with respect to exams. Used to pray hard during exams. It was just the fear of exams. Even today, if I have to take a test, I am nervous. Just the way I am.
    In adult life, I was just following my mom's rituals and reciting the Slokas and the prayers that got recorded in my subconscious mind during childhood.
    One day, when I reached home from work, my mom was having shortness of breath. We took her to the hospital and within a week she passed away. During that week, I prayed and prayed and prayed.
    Losing my mom was difficult for me. I had just come to terms with life after losing my father suddenly because of heart attack. I was devastated. I lost trust in God. I became a non-believer. I stopped the rituals, stopped the occasional visits to temple. All the questions about life, its purpose, who is God, why do we need God, etc came coming up in my mind.
    Then while traveling for business or vacation, I came across different religions or faiths that were developed in different parts of the world centuries ago. That got me into thinking about God again. I started reading religious books of different religions. Bhagwad Gita was more helpful in clearing my understanding of God.
    Now I believe in God, a power that did create the universe, the beautiful world, the echo system that created the beautiful world that is systematic. If it was coincidence, then the world would have been haphazard. For systematic evolution, there has to be some power. Nose happens to grow on the face only for all human beings born in US or China. Grown on any other place of the body would still have fulfilled it's function. But there is symmetry, and a system.
    Evils are more of our perspectives. History is written by victorious. So the defeated becomes the evil. We feel someone is evil but from their perspective they may feel we are evil. So who is right who is wrong.
    Belief in God, just gives me hope and strength to deal with tough times and helps me realize my blessings. That's all that God means to me. God to me is much bigger than any religion. Religion needs God to exists itself but God doesn't need any religion.

My belief in God and the way I see God is my personal. I respect every religion and also non believers. I don't thrust my belief on anyone or expect anyone to agree or disagree with me.

Umeed pe duniya kaayam hai...

sindmani, Paulina, Poetlatha and 8 others like this.
  9. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Nice Kabaali errr Rajni video, liked it
    @Laks09 didn't know you speak/understand Tamil, or was it the english subtitles? Either way #Magizhchi

Laks09, Sairindhri and jskls like this.
  10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Previously so much were unexplored and a superficial entity was needed as the cause to explain how anything is the way that is, using GOD as a filler for any gaps in phenomena, which now have scientific concepts and theories in place of the gaps and one day in future when even all the unsolved or currently hypothetical scenarios have been proved, there be no need of any other supernatural god at all. Example - the possibility of existence of infinite parallel universes within "multiverse" with distinct laws of nature for each, if proven right, will negate the theism theory that a creator created the universe, but it was there indeed existing all along!

Secondly there is the infamous atheist argument, if 'to exist', everything has to be created, then who created the creator if 'he exists' too? :)

Gauri03 likes this.