1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who Is Right And Who Is Wrong

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by VaniVyas, Jul 27, 2016.

1. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Hi All,

I am here to share the story of my colleague in order to help her understand the issue from a different perspective. So here I go,

They are two daughters (each married and settled) and their parents have brought a new home for their retirement. One of the daughter contributed major fund to help the parents while the other could not owing to their own family reasons. Now the elder one who made maximum contributions will have a share of the property while the younger one and her husband are also aware of the same. The parents have now decided a small pooja (not even house warming) for which only the elder one is participating. None of the other family member’s incl. their father is involved since all are in different places.

Considering the expenses which will incur (which are again helped by elder one) she has proposed to keep the function limited to hardly two people. The younger sister wants the event to be a family get together function and is more than happy to participate. The elder one told her bluntly rather than spending on ticket, you may contribute towards your parents. So that they can have a good bank balance and be at peace rather than spending on these things.

The elder one considers these expenses as quite unnecessary while the younger one feels for everything money should not be a priority. She prefers all family members incl. her in laws to attend the function as there are no future occasions in their family again.

Who is right and who is wrong?? No??#$%&

2. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

It is differing opinions. However it happens to be the elder sister's call as she seems to be the one expected to throw the party/ make arrangements. That has to be respected. When even the dad isn't coming, it's quite superficial for the younger one to land there with her inlaws.

The younger one could organise a family get together for diwali or new year. The younger one would be out of line to ask for more.

4. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

A small family gettogether in which only the closest one's are involved is not such an expensive affair.
    A small pooja followed by a home-cooked lunch doesn't deplete one's bank balance.....By bluntly refusing the younger sister to be involved in the pooja, the elder one will forever create a rift between the respective families....

VaniVyas likes this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

So this is gonna be a family pooja or something, in which the dad of the family isn't participating.
    This Pooja is hosted by the elder daughter, who thinks it is unnecessary to invite more people this time. I think elder daughter is right here.

If younger daughter wants a family reunion or function, she can probably organize one at her parents' new home. As @guesshoo mentioned, diwali, newyear or a birthday party (parents's or her kids) or an anniversary or whatever it suits her time. She can think of a budget and list out the invitees. Remind her that she is supposed to organize the get together and spend on it, rather than just spending on the tickets alone.

Some people have way too much expectations...

amruth123, sindmani, guesshoo and 2 others like this.
  6. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

I don't think it is a question or who is right or wrong. Each one is right in their own way but both need to adjust being a part of a family.
    I think the elder one should invite the younger sister to attend. I think asking the younger sister to contribute to their parents instead of traveling is childish. The ticket amount can't be huge and will not help parents much anyway.

The younger sister can't pile own her ILs into a small family function. If she wants then she should share the expenses as well. If she insists on a family gathering, then she can arrange a function on her own like guesshoo said.

dc24 likes this.
  7. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Hmm, now her dad is participating ( due to request from family members).

the elder one is irked with younger one for she did not want to make it a big one. Younger one is irked since according to her the elder one is saying so due to her share of investments.

8. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

I think your colleague should have a conference call with both sisters and settle it (asking the younger to attend only by herself). Otherwise the issue will unnecessarily create a huge rift. It is an auspicious ceremony and so she needs to create a good atmosphere.

sindmani, VaniVyas and dc24 like this.
  9. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I'm sorry for the older one. She is being manipulated for a simple Pooja.

Rihana and VaniVyas like this.
  10. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Since in near future such functions are not likely to be held...they should have get together with parents...both daughters and their respective families.
    Perhaps they can pool money to bear cost of pooja..panditji dakshina...food.

sindmani and VaniVyas like this.