1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dowry is good or Bad

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Madhurima, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If household work has become modern and easier, it is not like the workplace is still frozen in the 18th century. The droning slow-moving fans are replaced by powerful a/c, for example. Rickshaw, cycle and other slow travel is now replaced by the comfort of car with driver. Phone and email mean less of running around the office. These are a few examples. Banking - which you listed as a task men do - much of it is accomplished online.

About the servants - they do not manage themselves. Managing them can be harder than doing the job yourself. I have seen it first hand. Was visiting a friend who moved to India, and was envying her life of having 4 maid-servants. Until, the 5th one walked in, and I was told she is the 'manager' : ) No kidding. Managing and coordinating the maid servants is an art to itself. Gave me fresh appreciation for how easy it is to be the DIY kind in the U.S.

Same can be said for you- you are forgetting women's contributions that don't get as noticed. Inculcating values in the children, noticing anything out of the ordinary in them, celebrating festivals, maintaining a social life, arranging birthday parties, meeting social obligations within the family, making the house into a home....

You make some valid points. Hope you'll follow GoogleGlass's suggestion, so the discussion can remain worth reading, continuing. : )

satchitananda and GoogleGlass like this.
  2. APS45

APS45 Silver IL'ite

I
    Yes, I have mentioned this further below in my post

3. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

I earn, and do 90% of the stuff that you put under man's additional contribution including being the free plumber /electrician .
    So you are saying , JKAgarwal, that I should have demanded dowry ? Is it too late , can I still do that, per your text book?

What say @kollen , declare another victory , my friend?

sindmani, kcb and yellowmango like this.
  4. APS45

APS45 Silver IL'ite

After reading all these posts, I am convinced that dowry is not going die, it will only increase perhaps with different name, as per convenient of individuals and communities. Don't want to post anything further.

5. IL_Admin

IL_Admin Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Enough being said and discussed here, let's bring this thread to a close.
    Will be going through off topic posts in this thread in the coming days and deleting those that do not help with the discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.