1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Changes We (dil's) Made @ In-laws Home

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by charanya147, Jul 9, 2016.

1. charanya147

charanya147 Silver IL'ite

Your MIL can be given "food scientist" award...... In hotel itself they will mix up all the old, preheated oils... How we can use it at home.... Yyyuucccckkk........ Have anyone noticed a news some years back that, for frying the man put the whole of the oil pack (including the plastic cover)....it gets dissolved in the heat.... Can you imagine.... Its highly hazardous..... We have to educate others regarding this

madras2018 and sanarthi like this.
  2. sanarthi

sanarthi Silver IL'ite

more of a common sense than education.
    Cannot a person think about the foods credibility before doing something?
    Cannot a person who cooks day in / day out can understand out of smell that food has gone bad?
    Cannot a person judge that the packet contains hazards before immersing in the hot oil?

No Answers.

When my MIL does these things, i feel a sense of pride in her in saving great thing. If you get halwa from tirunelveli, that pack will contain ghee/vanaspathi coated in it. she will scrap that vanaspathi and use for making atleast one chappathi.

This makes her feel the pride that she saved something. This is what drives her to do all these sorts of comedies :)
    :worried:

charanya147 likes this.
  3. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

@ sanarthi LOL !! I couldn't help but laugh aloud.

charanya147 likes this.
  4. madras2018

charanya147 likes this.
  5. sanarthi

sanarthi Silver IL'ite

comedies of these sorts will happen often. At times i feel to run off the kitchen.

It happened one Monday she took butter beans curry from my house. We live 2 hrs apart. Since she has some dental problems, she need every vegetable to be cooked till they get mashed.

Since it was my 1st year, i dont know this and i cooked as usual as normal people would eat.

At her home in afternoon she found out that she and her husband cannot chew that butter beans well.

What she did was horrible after then.

She filtered all the butter beans from the curry and refrigerated it.

The fridge will be operated in very low temp and it cannot cool water in 8 hrs time. think of the fate of that butter beans.

On the commencing Wednesday she reused the butter bean to make a new curry. This whole family eats that curry without uttering a word, even though it has a foul smell.

the only one person who spoke was a me and i was labelled as a non adaptive DIL.

That particular afternoon i mixed rice and water+salt . i am even afraid of using pickle as she will take off the stale part ( first layer) and use the lower part.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

charanya147 and madras2018 like this.
  6. madras2018

One thought that crossed my mind as I read this thread is what will our DILs say when we get that old ? :)

Hopefully we dont develop any obnoxious habits with age.

songbird46 and blessings1010 like this.
  7. sanarthi

sanarthi Silver IL'ite

yes i agree with Madras2018. We should watch our habits.

One more important point is if someone quotes some thing at our habits, we should atleast think of that .

My MIL does not have that habit. how much every you tell her, whom ever it could not she will do the samethings everytime.

8. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

Agree @madras2018 . I am praying hard to not get bitter with age. I hope to love my future kids and their life partners with as much love, respect, empathy and care as I wish we could receive from my mil . I hope to accept my mistakes, learn from them and let go of any judgments ( If i can not control having judgment in the first place) towards my kids. I would want to be happy for my boy, if a girl from totally different family ( or culture) background takes a big step to leave her family, marry my boy and love him more than I could have ever loved my own husband. I would want to be grateful for that love, that understanding between them. I would be at peace that my boy is in good company. And if not always, at least once, I would want to thank my future DIL ( not just in my mind) but in front of my boy and family for being a wonderful presence in our family. I am praying hard to be a graceful parent and a grandparent who gets remembered for her love and empathy long after I am gone. I would want to continue counting my blessings. I hope it is not too difficult to achieve it as I grow old. Oh my, today my emotions are in full swing.

tcbhuvana, sanarthi and madras2018 like this.
  9. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

What did I change? I lived with in-laws for about 6 months before moving to the US. Only managed to make one minor change - first for myself, and then they followed.

- Breakfast. They had lunch at 10 am as is normal in many Chennai homes. All my life I have had breakfast and then lunch by noon or 1pm. So when we were with them, I asked my brand new DH if he could get me some bread - the entire family stared at me thinking I was ill. Apparently bread was only when you had fever. Anyway, introduced them to good sandwich bread and ultimately to vege sandwiches. Now 18 years later, they have bread for breakfast every day even though I live thousands of miles away.

Things I have changed (at least when I am visiting)
    - Don't allow her to use the same cloth for wiping the countertops, dining table AND the kitchen floor.
    - Make sure the dishes are soaked in water before the maid comes for washing
    - Cook plenty of vegetables - MIL would make 3-4 brinjals for a family of 5 :yikes:
    - Taught them that it is OK to spend a little extra money to buy good vegetables. So now FIL does not just look for the cheapest (and deadest - is it even a word??), but is ready to go to a nearby supermarket where the vegetables are fresh

charanya147 and songbird46 like this.