1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Waiting -- Oj's Witless Brevity 10

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear OJ
    Writing a FB to you has become a kind of status symbol in this forum. Your present contribution to Witless Brevity is something that I have been 'waiting' for ever since you started this column. Who does not wait in this world? When it is day, we wait for the night. When it is night, we wait for the day. We wait for our flight, train, bus. Despite all our outward annoyance, we love waiting because that's about the only activity that has some meaning in our life.

Of all the waiting, the one that moved me to the core was Quasimodo's waiting for his death by the side of the dead body of Esmerelda in Hunchback of Notre Dame. His dead body with that of Esmerlda is found after eighteen months. When I saw this scene in the movie played so well by Anthony Quin, I had a lump in my throat.

The second waiting that affected me profoundly was the waiting of of Vladimir and Estragon for Godot. Samuel Beckett is at his abstract best in Waiting for Godot. Vladimir's anguished cry says it all, “Was I sleeping, while the others suffered? Am I sleeping now? Tomorrow, when I wake, or think I do, what shall I say of today? That with Estragon my friend, at this place, until the fall of night, I waited for Godot?”

The third and the most entertaining waiting is R.K.Narayan's 'Waiting for Mahatma'. I can never have enough of this novel and I think that it is one of RK Narayan's best. How Gandhi's revolutionary ideas are countered by an old lady of Malgudi and that too in tongue-in-cheek humour can be conceived only by RKN.

As I wait for something to write by way of a FB to your intense thread, I got carried away and digressed!
    Sri

2. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I have often wondered @Cheeniya, for days, weeks, months, now a year too and will, until the time i might forget... What is it that the big owl sitting on a branch, is always 'waiting' for?! :yum:

ojaantrik, PhoenixAwoken and Cheeniya like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The Owl is enjoying the Joy of Waiting!

4. Sairindhri

Sairindhri Gold IL'ite

Sir,
    I will add my 2 c here.
    The owl is enjoying the Joy of Waiting for 'OJ's next witless Brevity'..:cool:
    Can't it be ?:)

ojaantrik, satchitananda and Cheeniya like this.
  5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

for a thought to cross your mind, so you can post a ramble of your own but more elaborative as opposed to OJ ' s brevity and make him break his word count limits in his feedback to yours??? Yeahhh we all are 'waiting' too!! :wink::yum:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    padma0604, Cheeniya and ojaantrik like this.
  6. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear kaniths,

I am confused probably. Why is "no choice" a decision? In any case, the story has room for confusion. Note the word "vaguely". I guess nothing is certain as in deterministic logic. Arithmomorphism, as in Cantor, is avoided. But there is room for Spinoza. May be I am talking rubbish. Fun nonetheless!

oj

kaniths likes this.
  7. ojaantrik

But Satchi, sometime or the other they all do die. Or so I am told!

8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

OJ-da, some of us are still alive. :) At least I think I am. Therefore I am sure I am.

ojaantrik likes this.
  9. ojaantrik

Of course not personal. Al this is just for fun. The Nobel Committe is not keeping track of us. But what is analytical? Fuzzy set theory is analytical too, right? The fun of writing is that you can dispense with the Cartesian plane. I find this most enjoyable.

kaniths likes this.
  10. ojaantrik

Cogito ergo sum? But as I was just telling kaniths, Spinoza and others can't be ignored.
    oj-da

kaniths likes this.