1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Should I Deal With This?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sweety127, Jul 24, 2016.

1. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Hi all
    As you all know am a new mom and things had been v hectic for me..am at mom place..I left my home two months back as I had some complications..the plan was h would drop me at mom place and mil will go to sil..h would return back to our city ..h stayed with me for a week and went to sil home for a week as we stay v far from her..I was ok with it..but these two ladies told him to stay back till my delivery date which was one month later saying he can't travel in a hurry if Labour starts..so he cancelled his return ticket and is staying at her home for the past 3 months..
    But he was there with me when I needed him the most..he had some nice time with our daughter..when he was about to leave to our city I insisted him to stay back till naming ceremony..but he told he is not comfortable staying in my mom home and that he will go to sil place and all of them would join us for the ceremony..I did not compel him..he went and issues started..mil sil created issues saying we did not welcome them in the hospital so they won't come to my mom place..to hell with their attitude..all hate diverted towards my mom..Me and h had a fight regarding this..same my parents vs ur parents..finally he told" let's ignore every damn problem around us and we three should be one unit..extended family comes later.let them sort out their problems themselves..my mom is v adamant and I don't want to fight with her as she will altogether deny coming
    to our city. As you can't manage everything alone we are in need of her help..so don't escalate this issue" .
    ..actually we thought of hosting a function with relatives but cancelled it because of mil..so I named my child at home with only my parents..h did not come for it. I was angry but did not show up for my Angel. Had a great day with my parents..
    Now he is still sitting is sil place babysitting her kids along with mil while sil has gone abroad for her exams..this is the reason why those ladies were unable to come but v cleverly put the blame on us and made us bad in h eyes..
    Current scenario is mil is talking as usual to me doesn't talk to my parents, h keeps lamenting I miss you..love you and emotional nonsense and I am caught in the drama..want to thrash all these double gamers...mil just wants to keep h with her and wants me as he cant be without me..she tries her best to cut off my parents from the equation telling am her daughter etc. .my parents are advising me to ignore and stay smart...how to handle this situation??

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Congrats Sweety!:beer-toast1:
    Give the little doll a big bear hug.:kissingheart:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What did your mil and sil expect at the hospital? A reception committee with Band Baja ?
    Ask husband that.

Tell him clearly that your sil needed him to baby sit that is why this drama was created and it was a cheap stunt. What kind of people are willing to spoil relations for their convenience.

Your husband wants you to live with and bear with his mom but can't stay a day with your parents?

Don't let your husband make you feel like mil is indispensable .Today he is saying..just be quiet because we need her.....tomorrow he will say be quiet and be grateful.

Calmly tell him not to worry if his mom doesn't want to come to your city ...you can take more leave and your parents can help.Later on you can put your baby in day care.That will give them something to think .

If I were you,I would give the mil some silent treatment. If she says she loves you and all that...just ask why she did not attend the naming ceremony then and how she made the father of the child miss the naming ceremony of his own child.

Enjoy this phase sweety. Get nice massages,sleep a lot and cuddle up with your doll.

3. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Sweety127
    First of all, please don't be so nuch tensed as you are a new mom and must be breastfeeding your LO. It's a medically documented fact that some ladies develop postpartum depression and melancholic attitude. And all such things definitely affects the baby. Ayurvedic doctors recommend new mothers to be cheerful as it brings lot of positivity in a kid who then grow up to become a successful and responsible adult.
    I'm not saying that you are wrong...but my dear...when your H wants you three to be happy together then what's wrong with that...
    Secondly...instead of arguing with your H over my mother your mother issue....you just act smart. Be very polite with your H and tell him all the plus points about them eg...how much they cared for you during and after delivery and how much pain your parents undertook caring for your LO.
    Husband wife relationship is very sensitive but tolerance and showing immense maturity is the key to a happy married life.
    Follow what your parents say....with passage of time this too shall pass...

sindmani, sweety127 and guesshoo like this.
  4. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much yellowmango for your wishes..it means a lot to me..missed you when I posted a separate thread on the arrival of my Angel...☺
    That was what we were also shocked...I was bleeding..baby had jaundice and was put for phototherapy..these ladies came unannounced saying its a surprise and wanted us to entertain them..
    Coming to h he was so happy and protective of us till they came and after that he started blaming my mom who is my pillar...I made them talk and that is when my mom too clearly expressed her views..
    Coming to mil a mentally unstable woman she is..took really good care of me during pregnancy..her theory is do or die..my parents are working and can't spend much time for me..that is why I had to depend on mil.. she is an excellent baby care taker...so I am unable to prolong silent treatment due to this as she doesn't have the brain to understand it..infact h had tried many times to make her see sense but in vain..she gets angry at him and does all non sense..
    I told I am capable of raising the child even without him for which he turns so emotional that would melt any stupid like me..
    Also h is calculative as sil helps him financially..currently he is working on his start up and doesn't have regular income..so this is his strategy to save himself from all household expenses...

sindmani likes this.
  5. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much dc24..I will not let my baby suffer due to all the negativities surrounding her..this issue was troubling me and that why posted here to get support from my dear ilites..
    Maturity and emotional independence is what I crave for in this marriage..am suceeding in v small extends in each passing level..now after seeing my Angel I have developed a new found confidence..I sincerely pray to almighty to help me get past anything from stupidity to biggest of storms just for her..
    Let problem creators keep creating issues..they will be shown their place sooner or later..

blessings1010, sindmani and dc24 like this.
  6. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Believe me.....your Little one's face and her cute smile will make all your worries melt away...these problems will no longer bother you...dedicate this most beautiful and precious phase of your life solely for your cutie pie...because time that's lost doesn't come back.

blessings1010 and sindmani like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sweety, I'll give you some perspective, quote part of your own words, and a suggestion.

You have been through a lot of stress, changes, living apart, professional choices, educational choices, job stress for both of you... and now a complicated pregnancy and delivery. Even in a normal pregnancy, delivery and where the woman is not going back to work, the first 2-3 months after birth are hectic, sleep deprivation etc, and stuff gets said that is best forgotten by all. That was the perspective.

Your husband has already suggested a good path to take:
    Your MIL is not talking to your mom. That can be good for a while. Let them in due course sort out their differences themselves.
    Those are strong words. If I recall correctly, your MIL lost her husband when pregnant with your husband. Most likely she didn't receive the kind of support and healing such events require. Postpartum depression, stages of grief, how to deal with grief, menopause and its impact on woman's body, mind... are all relatively new fundas. Your MIL has likely plodded through life doing the best she can to deal with all things. Cut her some slack. And more practically, you need her help with the baby. So, try to put all the drama behind you. When you, MIL, husband and baby are back to home, slowly a routine will fall in place, baby will be a few months old, cute, smiling, cooing... and things will fall into place.

Not so wrong to cut down expenses.

The hospital drama - maybe you don't know the full story. Sometimes, our parents also can act up, and their old grievances come to the surface, or for whatever reason, an issue gets escalated between the two sets of parents. Don't dissect that too much. Don't brood too much on what your parents went through etc... Done is done.

One last thing - staying apart during pregnancy and childbirth - also adds to the stress. So, put down the entire thing to a bunch of factors within and outside your control. Leave it in the past. Look to the future with a lighter mind and a little selective amnesia. : )

SunPa, sweety127 and dc24 like this.
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Sweety...
    I would echo what your parents have advised to you. Ignore and stay smart. That's the wonderful advice.

Remember that there have been a bitter past between your parents, in laws, SIL and even between you and your H. You all have moved on from that; thus the beautiful little angel is in picture now.
    It is very easy for the H and W to forget all the past, and start their relationship afresh the moment they reunite and feel the essence of love. But it is never an easy task for the others to forget the past, although they may have forgiven and moved on.
    So, such clashes are very common whenever there are events coming up, which requires both the families in one place.
    Ignorance is the best policy. Don't complicate your own marriage and the future of the 3 of you (you, H and Kiddo) for others.

You can never forget your MIL. Despite of moving on so much, you still call her as a mentally unstable woman. Your anger and frustration on this woman is very much visible even in this thread.
    Apply the same logic to your husband and his folks. They have a reason to have you around; thus forgave you (if at all you were wrong). But they have no reason to forget or forgive your parents. Just like you, they would be also calling names to your mom, who knows.
    Accept the reality...!!!

It is better to leave it as that, and never to bring it between you guys!

When I delivered my first kid, all I expected was a great family union where both my folks and in laws to forget all the past to reunite for the kid. It did not happen. So I reacted, felt disappointed and complected the already messy situation a lot.

But with my second kid, I was so matured. Maturity came within just 2 years. This time, I stayed with mom. Never bothered whether in laws came or not. But I was cool when they visited us.
    Never bothered about what was my H doing behind my back at in laws place, as I was busy with my 2 kids with mom.
    When we returned back, all we had was some pleasant memories. It was a refresher to start with.

Let your husband stay at SIL's place if he thinks it is cost effective. Don't force him to stay at your mom's place, and then break your bone by looking after these 2 adults (mom and H) from their silly misunderstandings forever.
    Save your time, to be happy at Mom's place now.

Be smart with what you spend, what your husband is spending, what is he promising etc...
    Be smart when making decisions...

When you are back at home, you need your MIL for the kid. MiL's care is far better than any day care, specially in your case. So, tolerate this bit for your kid's safety and comforts.
    Who cares whether they come to your parents' place or not after all... Act as if you have not bothered about this at all.

Don't provoke your husband right now. He is in the wrong hands... Wait till you are back in control.

sweety127 likes this.
  9. Lady1

Lady1 Silver IL'ite

Dear Sweety,
    You are getting all caught up inbthe quagmire of 'famly drama,' and itsn't evn our nuclear famly. That is Your new baby and your husband and you. Men have th corrct idea
    Just hear each one out patienly without responding but only with a smlevon tye face- Difficult? Keep looking at your baby; put ear plugs, say RAMA, RAMA or do ALL of that.
    1. Be truly VERY loving towards your husband and give him positive feedback.
    2. Just like you tell us the whole World minus him, tell HIM how much you LOVE it when he participates in his own baby's life. Tell him how special a look your lil one has for HIM! Tell him how daughters have special bonding with their dads...
    3. If he can babysit for his sister he can his own babes (you and the lil Angel,) right!
    4. Build bridges: This is your time to be pampered and rested-its not infinite- once it ends you'll be facing many responsibilities mostly by yourself - at this time you'll need help whomever gives it do keep all venues open and be kind in your responses and words to your parents and inlaws whenever they talk to you smartly not taking sides...ignore controversial and inflaming statements from anyone towards anyone forgiving them in your mind and forgetting that comment as soon as you hear it- if there sre compulsions and pressure to take sides say you feel like reting a bit and clearing your thoughts and doze off.
    This is the way to steer your own little family-boat through the unsettling waters of this World, my dear, rising above yet staying successful in all your relationships.
    I have lived in the USA now for 50+ years and raised children and have grandkids in college! We don't all get that lovely sabbatical in mommy's house for weeks (if not months) as we do in India and other traditional societies. We fo not get help even if in a package-deal from in laws either often... However, if you can keep your head above the waters in these situations, you can have a better, clearer perspective and a head that can 'think' right...while they each may need ONLY you, YOU need them ALLespecially your hubby and your baby!

sweety127 likes this.
  10. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much dear rihanna and sgbv for that precious perspective..thank you lady1 for your perspective..sometimes ignoring is the only better option though I would love to face these people heads on..
    But still I am not smart enough to completely bury the issue...I did bring it up with him as I really got irritated when he utters that I miss you again and again..he got offended when I told he is baby sitting his sis children...he never blames me but my parents indirectly..I got tired and just cut off communications to the bare minimum for few days..had to put enormous energy to stay calm..but its worth every bit..he eventually came around and revealed that he had already booked his tickets to meet us well in advance even before my delivery from our city..stupid fella had he told it before I would have let go off this issue..seems he wanted to surprise me..long story short he suddenly booked his and mil tickets the same day sil arrived back to our city..he will come to meet us this month end..