1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Visiting The Us

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Viswamitra, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@chocolate,

Very nice and practical lessons. I have understood I need to be practical in my thinking rather than being traditional especially living in a country where self-help is the best option.

Viswa

2. Viswamitra

@nuss,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the guests. I don't really understand what runs in the mind of the guests visiting hosts living in other countries. If their intention is to have a vacation, they are better off arranging their own stay and trips. If they like to visit people, it is a different story. I am not suggesting it has to be either or. They could also do site seeing while visiting hosts as long as they have time and inclination to do so. Blaming them for not attending to the needs of the guests is taking it too far.

Viswa

3. Viswamitra

@nuss
    A very practical idea. We live in a place, public transportation doesn't exist. Guests will have to rely on cabs. It adds more to the confusion.

Viswa

4. Viswamitra

@MalStrom

It can happen anywhere still the situation is the same. In the current environment, guests staying for a longer duration is added work and responsibility for the hosts. Unless the guests are willing to help in the chorus, the hosts will struggle. Besides, if they are dependent on the host for site-seeing, it ends up much more difficult.

Viswa

MalStrom likes this.
  5. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

Oh my. That was a tough situation. Please accept my condolence.

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

They think life in foreign country is so easy - two or three cars, house, a/c, 24 hr water, electricity, systematic traffic, pollution control, no mosquitoes, earning in $$. The life is a vacation. So, from our vacation life, they expect us to take a few days off completely to help them with their vacation.

What do they know that we have to clean our own toilets, or wait hand and foot on the cleaners who will come when it is convenient to them, and for whose arrival I have to basically 'clean' up my house of clutter/stuff.

What looks like a simple 'make chai coffee for all' is a long enough task. use the big vessel. get the cups out. get out the serving tray. and of course snacks. and of course water for the ever thirsty. then, keep popping from kitchen to living room to make conversation, then pour out the chai coffee.. then one person *has* to go to bathroom just then. so reheat. not to forgot one person will spring out phone and Skype the chai and your butt as you serve people. before you can say Zuckerberg, you are tagged also. then, they drop crumbs around the center table. and lo and behold sink is full again. And pro'lly kitchen counter in need of major wiping.

and then next minute, all are leaving for shopping/sighttseeing. not going with them means one is being had host. going with them means, the minute all arrive back, back to the kitchen grind.

take them out, and God how much they will fuss about the food.

over and out.

7. Viswamitra

@Rihana

Will they not understand all that luxury that they feel comes with a lot of effort and self-help to live in a country where domestic help is expensive? Will they not feel the need to extend helping hands when they visit? Will they not reduce their expectations and have their own plan to tour and shop? Is it fair to watch the host struggle to meet their expectations and still not say thank you, leave alone extending helping hands?

Apparently, some are very good guests in terms of understanding through watching how much the host does. Those who don't, there is no point in trying to bend over backwards to please them. We can do what best we could and leave them to determine whether we are good or bad host.

Viswa

sindmani and blessings1010 like this.