1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Misunderstanding With My Best Friend :(

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by SGBV, Jul 4, 2016.

1. creativemind23

creativemind23 Silver IL'ite

Good suggestion Ashima10

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Feeling of betrayal? For what???

One sided friendship? What do you mean by that?

I benefited more from her? How do you know that?
    Of course, I have shared how great she was to me when we were together. That doesn't mean I was just only receiving and never did any favor to her. I felt it is not needed here to go in details about all the favors I did for her in the past. This thread is not about who did what, and which help was best.

And finally about the affair... She was the first person to know our affair in the whole world.
    She had a crush with him, and then it all ended so bitterly as he did not like her. She moved on and fell for another guy, and eventually married him. Years later, I joined in an office, where her ex crush was working. All these while, I knew her crush only via pictures and stories, but never interacted with him directly.
    This time, we both fell for each other, and decided to marry.
    Since she has moved on so much, and settled with kids I did not feel anything bad about it. After all, I did not steal her lover, rather married my lover.
    So, I honestly went on to share this with her. She was the first one who knew this from us. She congratulated us.
    But then she stopped every connections with me/us.
    You may call it as betrayal - Perhaps that's betrayal in your dictionary.
    But I am yet to figure out the right word for this kind of situation. Some say it is jealousy for marrying the person whom she wanted to marry once. This suits more apt in this case, although I wish this should not be the reason.

FYI, I have supported her several times to pay her tickets to fly back home, when her parents couldn't afford it everytime. That's how we became intimate friends, although she was my senior. This is just one help that comes to my mind since you asked for it. There are so many helps from my end too.

3. Sweetgirl123

Sweetgirl123 Silver IL'ite

Exactly.
    We are talking about "best friends" type not just friend or mere acquaintance.
    She shared her feelings but you didn't share yours until well after the fact that you started an affair ( substitute any word for that). Especially with a guy which didn't end well for her.
    So normally what best friends do, would talk about this before they start an affair and ask the hypothetical question, you remember that guy, so and so how would you feel,if.......?
    That leaves the friend in a situation where she could voice her feelings honestly, if she wanted to do so.
    Telling her after the fact leaves her in a place where there is not a lot more things to say other then congratulations, I am so happy for you.
    so, what would someone do who values a friendship?
    You seem not be interested in seeing it from her view, so I'm not going to go into it and just leave it at that.

4. redmaverick

redmaverick Senior IL'ite

You violated the fundamental Bro Code: You friend feels totally betrayed!!! If your friend had never met you, she would have saved herself a whole world of hurt. It should not be that way, but, unfortunately, it is what it is.

I had a *friend* who always wanted the same things as I did and was always very competitive with me. Right from high school! He would always mimic my choices. He would call and interrogate about my future plans and as to which Uni I attended and then once I graduated, he had to know what package I got so he could one up me on this. He got the wind of the fact that I was seeing a girl and then when things did not work out between us, he swooped in on her. He then calls me and informs me that he has been seeing her and things might get hot. I wished him all the best but I was totally crushed. Now, I have to attend his wedding and wish him a happy life and relive the pain of things not working out again! Then, I have to keep "liking" their pictures on facebook and get reminded again and again of that pain. It's like being continually stabbed in the heart. Again and again and for decades! It was really hard for me to take. Theoretically and rationally speaking, he did nothing wrong. It did not work out between us both so why should I care if he hooked up with her? I knew she was not a possession but I did feel very betrayed. I kept thinking. "Of all the people you could choose from, why would you want to specifically target this girl? You knew I was seeing her! And by succeeding with her you are indirectly telling me that you are better than me which was something you wanted to do from a long time!"

It definitely changed the relationship I had with him. It slowly became one sided. He would keep calling or texting and I would give only one-word answers or even not pick up the calls/texts at all. It did not work out between her and him. He is currently seeing another girl and will get married soon. Even then, it changed the relationship forever. I would avoid any events if I knew he was going to attend. By cutting him out, I gained peace of mind. Even when I had to interact with him, it was like drawing together same poles of a magnet nearby. You just feel repelled and want to avoid the person at any cost. You can't even rationalize to yourself why.

I can guarantee you that your friend feels violated and betrayed. It basically feels like someone just punched you very hard in the stomach and you feel like that the air has been sucked out of you completely. Note: This was just a "friend" of mine. A "frenemy" to be exact and I felt like this. Imagine if he was my best friend and I shared with him as to how hot and amazing this girl was, only to later realize that he also wanted her. That is infinitely more crushing.

Theoretically and rationally speaking, what you did and what my friend did is not wrong and my brain tells me I should get over it like an adult and be normal like before but emotionally it hurts. A LOT! If the relationship between them worked out like it did for your husband and you, it would have been even harder for me to get over.

Do you like your friend? Do you want her to feel happy? Then please minimize all the contact with her and avoid her as much possible. Do this for her well-being and her peace of mind. Every time she sees your name on whatsapp and every time she sees you chatting with others, it just is going to bring traumatic memories back to her mind. Again and again.

I am not saying what you did is wrong. You did what was right for you. Just what it feels like to be on the receiving end of this kind of a situation. From the other side!

tl;dr

Theoretically, she knows what you did was not wrong but the practical reality is that it feels very hurtful. And the only way to deal with this pain is avoiding contact with the offending parties and that is what she is doing.

momsky likes this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@redmaverick Sorry about your problem... But I guess, you may be carried away with the contusions that @Sweetgirl123 has stated here. I know they are clearly confusing!

Let me explain this from my POV.

She WAS my best friend during our college times, and shortly after that. The relationship we shared then were always 2 ways, and it was always positive.
    Her crush turned out to be a bitter experience in her life. It all happened when we were together as best pair.
    After that, she moved on and fell in love with another guy. This pair then got married and settled with kids. During this life span, we had so much other priorities. She was busy with her new family, and I was busy in my new career thus traveled to abroad.
    Unlike men, we women tend to lose our best buddies after marriage. Although we wanted to continue, our priorities change with time. So, it somehow did not work well between us. We slowly distanced, and the "best friend" thing was just stayed only in our hearts, but not anymore in the practical life.
    But whenever we met, we had no issues in catching up as before.

Read: We were no longer the college girls, but she was a mom (of 2 kids) and I was a career oriented women - working in a diff country. So, just like we shared our crushes, and feelings in the past, we could not share the same now. May be we have grown matured, yet felt the need for privacy now. Even she did not share any of her marital problems with me after her marriage.

This is when I fell for the guy, who was her crush years before.
    I knew that he was the guy, but I have not been involved in their live when that happened. All I knew was the version she shared with me then.
    We had feelings for each other, and eventually started to be in a relationship.

Unlike your frienemy, I did not go after a man, whom my friend was seeing. This guy was just her crush, and she has moved on so much in her personal life after this point. She has no interest in him any further.

I could have told her the moment I felt butterflies in my tummy. But I had grown up then, and I did not feel like telling this to anyone.
    Rather, she was not my top friend that moment and she wasn't living closely to share this immediately.

I knew, something was struck in my heart when all this happened, and I wanted to share this with her too. But LOVE is beyond friendship.... Even if she is not in agreement with our affair, I was going to go ahead anyway. Because, we had a love marriage much against our own parents - and later convinced them.
    So, as sweetgirl mentioned, I wasn't thinking of getting her approval here.

Love was a feeling, and it just came to me. When I made a decision to marry this man, I informed her. She was the first one (not even my family) to know this from me.

Read: we were not connected via social media then. So, most of the time our communication happened whenever I landed in my home town. Either she visited me or vis-a-vis.

I don't think that I've betrayed her. But if she is someone who is like Sweetgirl or you, then yes. I have done a crime. Better I should stop here.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  6. redmaverick

redmaverick Senior IL'ite

I was not influenced by sweetgirl123 at all. I just read your first post and then typed in the reply. I did not get confused at all. My original understanding is perfectly in sync with your latest post.

Not just Sweetgirl or me. Most people in her exact situation will feel and behave the same way is what I am trying to say. I don't think you did a crime. You did not do this on purpose to hurt her. You did not betray her. It's just that from her perspective she would feel betrayed. It's not logical but it is what it is.

It doesn't matter that it was a bitter experience for her and it doesn't matter that she has her own family or it has been a lot of years since the event.

Her saying that she is no longer talking to you because of something you said to a third party is complete BS. That's not the real reason at all.

Just Google dating a BFF's ex/crush/flame. Without exception, the advice given is that it is always a bad idea regardless of the context and if you proceed to go along with it then you should be prepared to lose the BFF.

DailyMail
    I mean, it is going to be very awkward (both for her and your husband) to face each other. That is something she would like to avoid.

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Oh really... I understand your point...
    But what @Sweetgirl123 has stated is different, as though I have betrayed her. I defended myself against that comment though.
    I have done nothing, nothing wrong at all. I have married to my love, who happened to be the crush of my ex friend. Not even her ex lover.
    Now if she has something to feel, it is more of jealous than the feel of betrayal.

But anyways, I get you...It hurts, it is awkward to meet each other and mingle.... So, I stop trying to reconcile. Let us never meet ever again for heaven's sake!!!

8. livingitup

livingitup Bronze IL'ite

hi sgbv,
    let us consider that this friendship is over...
    so I dont see a harm in trying to talk to her once, may be in a public space. Atleast you will get some closure.