1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Live And Learn

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, May 14, 2016.

1. sangeethakripa

sangeethakripa Gold IL'ite

Dear Satchi

Good snippet..Most of us come across this.The title and your concluding passages explains in a nutshell the universal truth.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

3. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

Coincidentally enough, we have two maids and they are sisters. Coincidentally enough, the elder sister has a daughter (a most beautiful girl) and she is in Standard X. Her mother is desperate to get her educated. She is also determined that the question of marrying her off doesn't arise till she becomes financially independent. Which could be at least 4-5 years away.

The girl, as in your case, is influenced by her friends and often demands expensive stuff from her mother. The mother approaches us once in while. But we pay for her entire education, including tutorial homes, over and above her mother's salary. So, we try to draw a line.

Yesterday, I understand that the mother had to attend a parent-teachers' meeting. She was told that unless the daughter improves in mathematics, they will not let her sit for the Secondary Exams. If the mother were educated, she would have tried to fill in the gap herself, I know. But, as with your case, the mother's parents didn't think it was necessary to educate a girl child. Probably this is why she is so determined to make her own child have a career of her own.

Her neighbours, her sisters etc. try to convince her that marriage is the only option. But to her credit, the mother has withstood all pressure and has our support at least. However, one doesn't know if the girl will run away. I hope not. She is very pretty and I am sure that there is not dearth of lewd people. Her mother will surely lose her mind if that happens.

I hope to God that the girl clears her Secondary Examination.

oj-da

4. satchitananda

Dear OJ-da, seem like such a déjà vu. It's sad when these people don't want to educate their daughters. It's even worse when the mothers work so hard to educate their daughters who unfortunately have no value for what is being offered to them on a platter.

And then we have stories of children of underprivileged parents who rise to great heights through dint of sheer hard work.

ojaantrik likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Balajee, the convent school was less expensive than some of the private schools around the area and the education in those schools was nothing to write home about. This lady had really good intentions and wanted to do her best for that girl but got carried away to the other extreme where she never allowed the girl learn the meaning of the word 'No'.

6. padma0604

padma0604 Silver IL'ite

That was a well written post Satchi. When you said not to get involved in other's problems - that was like a reminder to me. We think we are helping, but they may not need it as you said. Such help like 'apaatra daanam' goes wasted and leaves us wondering why it does not mean anything to them. But again, when they are in need we try to do what we can....we cannot stop being what we are !!!

Rihana and satchitananda like this.
  7. satchitananda

So true Padma. We just have to be ourselves and stop expecting anything of anyone or anything.

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Aah that guilt...

My experience has taught me that help (not just to maid servant) should be very specific. I've nailed down the specific-ness to the level that I give money only for (IMO) valid expenses, and often recurring ones. And I need receipts.

Beyond that, for one's own protection and peace of mind, follow the dictum - neki kar, dariya mein daal. Do good and cast into the river.

satchitananda likes this.
  9. satchitananda

I love that approach, Rihana. Do what you have to do and forget about it.

Now that is a good idea - asking for receipts. Wish I had thought of it earlier.

10. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

satchi.
    sad story of our ever eager to help selves...its best to offer help as and when required within our means..

satchitananda likes this.