1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thrift To Rift

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Jun 20, 2016.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations for being nominated by Jayakka

Agatha83 likes this.
  2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Agatha,
    I agree with you. As Suryakala said.....moderate and being reasonable and balance are the key words.
    Parents are busy with their jobs, children with their school work and activities. When they are all together in order to forget the stress and have a relaxed time we should not spoil it by counting pennies. A little more money would be spent which parents can definitely afford. O.K if your budget for a new dress exceeds by a couple of hundreds more then don't crib for it or an extra dish in a restaurant or a trip to the zoo or park or movie or some other outing. We need not give them lectures on money. These all would memories in the minds of kids when they grow up and leave home for studies or jobs or after marriages.
    Children can understand the finances of parents by observing the way we live. They would not demand a helicopter or a very expensive car.
    Yes, they should know the value of money. If they ask for a new IPhone or a an expensive bike .....then sit down and have a discussion and explain them your situation. They would definitely understand. But for small small things don't disappoint them.
    No need to crib now for giving them properties or leaving them an inheritance. If anything is there that would go to them anyway.
    Syamala

Agatha83 likes this.
  3. Shivalaya

Shivalaya Silver IL'ite

Very thoughtful write up @Agatha83. Even my hubby doesn't like spending much on food or dresses. But he never stops buying for me or DS, though he spends rarely for him..

Agatha83 likes this.
  4. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear suryakala,

What is most irritating is finding poor people indulging in lavish marriages, taking money from pawn brokers, pledging their jewellery and finally ending up on the roads. Rich people can afford opulence with their money stashed up in swissbanks. The middle class is struggling hard to find the midway between thrift and indulgence. In our country even a lady CEO has to bear with the dominating ways of her stingy husband.

Saving for the rainy day by being frugal is a good idea, but what with dwindling interest rates provided by the banks and rising inflation, it makes sense to live for the moment happily. As you have pointed out , women have a larger role to play in keeping the family, including children happy, by presenting them with the most precious moments of their life.
    Agatha83

suryakala likes this.
  5. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

We all face financial problems and insecurity till the time our children finish their education and have settled well in their lives. After that it is time for us to relax our rigid frugal habits and enjoy life at a leisure pace. After sixty each day in our life is precious, for death can knock our doors anytime.
    I have seen people using palm leaf hand fans even in peak summer, just saving a good amount of money, while paying the electric bill.It is another matter that when they land up in the Hospital they have to spill out a lump some amount towards hospital expenses. As you have rightly said, live for the moment, though not on lavish budgets, but put a smile on the faces of our children, who are going to cherish those lovely moments forever.

Agatha83

6. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Viji!

Agatha83

iyerviji likes this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Welcome dear, my pleasure

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Agatha,

A nice write up. Fortunately, I am one of those pampered daughters. No no not the one who got everything she wanted, after all we were a big family too and add extended family, phew! But my dad made sure that we enjoyed every once in a while - you know good clothes, good food and some pampering. Thinking about dad all I can think of are the nice things he did for us despite whatever financial constraints he might have had, especially for his girls in life! So I understand what you have said in your last paragraph. It makes sense completely. Sometimes with our kids now I wonder if they know what being thrifty is at all. But then I have to remind myself that it is the memories - the life we give them, the love, the understanding, sometimes even our thriftiness that will eventually make their life and memories!

Agatha83 likes this.
  9. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear
    Dear shyamala,

Many parents of the present generation indulge their children with costly gifts, clothes etc, a privilege we never enjoyed. But some people cut corners and start counting, when it comes to buying even essentials for their dear ones. This would create bad vibes between family members and may lead to lots of unpleasantness and bitterness in relationships. Small gifts and outings enrich relationships and leaves one with happy lifetime memories. Thank you for your valuable FB.

Agatha83

10. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shivalaya,

Great to hear a positive portrayal from your side.

Agatha83