1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Repeated dental cavities..pls help

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by generic, Apr 6, 2016.

1. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

I brush my teeth 2-3 times everyday...this has been a habit since several years..morning, night before sleeping and sometimes in evening..I don't floss, but use good quality toothbrush, paste and mouthwash ...but still get cavities in my teeth requiring filling. I'm quite sure about my brushing technique as I brush and rinse well. I take calcium supplements everyday and drink 2-3 glasses milk a day..I do not take sugar with milk or coffee tea and eat sweets only occasionally..no chocolates or other sticky foods..I wonder why I still get cavities? Should I get dental cleaning done regularly by dentist, will it help? The dentist whom I have consulted all this time is little senior and conservative in his methods, he said cleaning is not necessary..
    I want to know where I'm going wrong? And if I do change dentists and get cleaning done, how often should dental cleaning be done.? Pls help, I'm a little worried.

2. PinkRubies

PinkRubies Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi generic,

I am a dental hygienist. So here are some things you can do to prevent cavities that i tell my patients

1. brush the correct way - this video will demonstrate that correct way to brush https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqCpZm6s_dE
    2. Begin flossing atleast daily - check this video for the correct technique https://www.youtube.com
    /watch?v=OERgFPAgT8g

3. Make sure you go get a dental check up and clean every 6 months at your check up request for xrays, so they can catch the cavities while there are still small. and very important always ensure you get fluoride treatment. Professional strength fluoride will prevent cavities.

Make sure you toothpaste has fluoride in it. another thing is brush your teeth spit out all the toothpaste ( dont rinse out) floss your teeth, this way toothpaste is moved in between your teeth. Not rinsing allows the fluoride in your toothpaste to penetrate the teeth and protect them,

Another thing is to drink plenty of water after eating or drinking anything sweet

3. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

@PinkRubies..thank you..I have never got dental cleaning done till now but will soon schedule an appointment for the same..I have a concern, I want to know if dental cleaning can be done inspite of having fillings , crowns etc on the teeth? Will the cleaning procedures like scaling etc loosen up the fillings or crowns in any way?

4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Yes, of course! Fillings and crowns are not a problem at all. Get your teeth cleaned regularly. :)

-

generic likes this.
  5. PinkRubies

PinkRubies Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

No the cleaning process wont loosen any fillings or crowns,so don't worry.

generic likes this.
  6. Katakam123

Katakam123 Silver IL'ite

Besides the method suggested, another that you could also try, oil pulling this helps to maintain good sets of teeth.

generic likes this.
  7. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Yes I have increased my calcium intake , by taking calcium tablets and extra glass of milk. I hope it helps.

8. magician

magician Silver IL'ite

Brushing thrice a day or getting your teeth cleaned by a dentist too often may cause you more problems than you think. It will expose the enamel and make your teeth and gums sensitive. I would also suggest trying to wean away from Calcium supplements in the long run as they are linked to bladder stones. Other sources of Ca are Milk, Fortified Cereals, Fortified Almond Milk; you'd also need Vit D for absorption. Hopefully sunlight exposure would help with that.

Best way is Flossing and Oil Pulling.

generic likes this.