1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Statue!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Mar 29, 2013.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

The king was about to come then. The middle aged sculptor Ganesan sighed. After a very long time God had granted him a son. Just after the naming ceremony of that little lad [he named him Kathiresan], he joined this team. From then on this work started. Their job was to construct not one, by many temples which included the great one too.

He could not bring his family with him and once in three months he went to pay them a visit. His son had been growing up nicely and the last lime he went, he was surprised to see his son growing up to his shoulders' height. "Taller for a 11 year old!", he thought then and took him to the place where he learnt sculpting, from his father. "Your grandfather was a great sculptor, dear!", he said and told him about many statues in two famous temples, being made by him. "I named you after him and I expect that you even surpass your grandfather!", he said and started teaching him. The young Kathiresan had an unwavered concentration but alas, he was not interested in what his father and grandfather did. After trying harder in vain and even beating his beloved son, Ganesan left with a sad heart. "Will the great generation of sculptors end with me?", he thought and shivered.

The king came and inspected all the statues made. Ganesan was involved in making the beautiful lamp holding girls in the inner entrance of the temple. The king was very happy seeing them though they were yet to be completed and patted him on his back. Then he talked highly about all sculptors there and gave them all a week's break. Ganesan was already lamenting that he had been harsh to his only kid. Now he literally clapped his hands and was so happy to go back to his place. After obtaining permission, he took two small rocks ecah slightly bigger than his palm. "I will ask Kathiresan to watch me doing it, so he will get more interest!", he thought.

And he took his son and explained a lot about the art his family was good at and showed him how to make a form. Sometimes he himself would get carried away in doing it. He was making an elephant and a tiger in those two stones and they were coming out well. Once when he was out of his reverie, he found his son looking at him in rapt attention. He felt proud and wanted his son to start sooner. That night, while his son was asleep, he talked to his wife about his plans for the kid. Next morning, he woke up early and was in the right mood, so thought about continuing what he was doing. He did not want to wake up his son, so he picked his tools and the two stones. While looking for a small hammer, he remembered that he gave it to his son the earlier day. He went to his son's room and saw him peacefully asleep. He then picked the hammer and accidentally got trapped on a canvas. Collecting himself, he took the canvas near a light source and opened it.

He was stunned to see himself using that small hammer upon the stone, being drawn to perfection.

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Artistry did run in his family, just that kathir was an artist in a different stream - paintings. Hope ganesan realises this and lets his son pursue what he is passionate about.

Good read rgs.

Akila

3. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Akila, for your nice feedback. Nowadays parents allow children to pursue their own interest. It was not that common in those days. Tried something different. Glad to see that it was noted. -rgs

4. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

That's a good one rgs. I was expecting kathir to become a warrior...
    By the way you ended this story, it makes more sense.

Have a nice week ahead, rgs :)

5. rgsrinivasan

That was a bit more logical conclusion Strangerrr, though reality might surprise all of us. And happy to get a string of likes from you and this feedback. Thanks. -rgs

6. Dhivya5

Dhivya5 Gold IL'ite

A good one rgs......I liked the ending of the story so much

7. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Dhivya, for your feedback and continuous support. -rgs