1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hunger!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Feb 28, 2013.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

We were there to attend the 25th wedding anniversary of one of our family friends then. It was arranged in an orphanage with a free meal to all the inmates. As they all were served food, and were requested to stand up and pray for the welfare of the beneficiary and wish them, I saw that boy. He carefully hid himself from a straight view, but I could see him for, I was standing near one of the corners.

He quickly took the sweet and the mini poori and stuffed them in his mouth in one go. "Hunger!", I said and pitied him then. An attendant who also watched it, showed no pity, but slapped him a bit later, when the prayer was over. He then came to me and said, "No matter what good you do to them, they are like this, Sir! Mannerless and always after food!".

I nodded and smiled. While I was about to leave, he came from nowhere and shouted "Sir! Just a minute!". He then told me about himself and his eduaction and requested me to find a suitable job for him. "I have been here for more than 6 months now, Sir! What they give is peanuts!", he ended. I nodded and told him that I would try my best. He gave me a paper that had his name and cellphone number. I went to my friend's car where the beneficiaries were in. "Nice chap! Hard to find someone like him these days!", one of them said.

"Having a good degree, he could have got a good job. But he chose this because he has an intention to serve! How noble!", he said. "How do you know this Sir?", I asked him. "The manager told me!", he said. I smiled and said to myself, "Hunger!".

2. Dhivya5

Dhivya5 Gold IL'ite

Good one rgs........nice perspective expertly written...........enjoyed reading it as always.

3. rgsrinivasan

Thanks so much Dhivya. Again such a fast response - makes me feel honoured. -rgs

4. abs2911

abs2911 Bronze IL'ite

Aren't we all hungry for something or the other?? Good story again Rgs..

5. rgsrinivasan

Thanks a lot Abs2911, for your appreciation and an ever true statement. -rgs

6. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Thats a good one.. It would be a better place if we can respect the other person's Hunger too as we respect ours.. Nice one RGS.

7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Hunger is the primary need of everyone...without any exception.

Long back I read a Telugu story, forgot the name of the writer.

A rich young man born with a silver spoon...to whom many dishes are served daily. But he fusses so much about the food and never eats properly. He is never allowed to feel hunger...constantly fed with choicest dishes. Once he happens to go in a car with some friends.....misses their way, darkness and they had to be without food for a long time. This rich guy says...I have a weird feeling in my stomach, I think I am sick, I need a doctor. From where can they get a doctor there? After a long time they find a small hut a woman living there. The friend explains to her. She makes some rice for them and serves it with a pickle. All the friends eat it with great relish and thank her profusely.The rich guy says...now I feel good, my pain gone. Then the friend explains to him...that is hunger. Many in this world suffer with that disease for lack of food. Enlightenment comes to him......after going back home he makes arrangements to feed hungry people daily. I can never forget that story.

8. rgsrinivasan

THe second part of your statement is far more important Pallavi. Many serve to satisfy others, forgetting themselves. Thanks for your appreciation and feedback. -rgs

9. rgsrinivasan

Thats a great story Syamala. Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed reading it. And it is a bit too coincidental that I thought of ending this along the same lines [rich feeling hunger for the first time]. Thankfully, I deviated. :) -rgs

10. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

People often fail to read others perspective/intentions (either good or bad) correctly.
    Good stuff, rgs :)