1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Varalotti Goes Abroad - Part 1 (With Pictures)

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Oct 10, 2011.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

I had been to Bali, Jakarta and Langkawi recently. To some it might appear heartless that I chose to travel for pleasure within days after my father’s death. And that too I did it all alone. If you have an hour of free time let me know. I’ll explain the reasons.

My father travelled with me – as a memory, as a dream and many times as a presence.

When I was ushered into the immigration counter of Trichy Airport around midnight I saw the official closing his eyes for a silent prayer. I was aware that I was his first ‘case’.

“May you have a hassle-free working day.” - I joined in his prayers.

He looked up surprised. Then he went through my immigration form. When he read my qualification (I had just written ‘chartered accountant’) he looked up again this time a tad reverential.

“Have you come to India for a holiday?”

“No, Sir. India is my home. I am going out for a holiday.”

“You can go anywhere you want, Sir. Do you know a King is welcome only in his own country. But learned people like you are welcome everywhere. Have a nice journey and come back safe.”

Strangely I was in tears. I knew very well that the two words “chartered accountant” appearing in my immigration form had made him so eloquent.

But for my father’s sacrifice – of making me refuse a bank officer’s job when our family was in dire need – I could never have become a professional.

The currency of Indonesia is Rupiah. It trades at ridiculously low prices. An Indian Rupee would get you around 168 Rupiah. And a dollar around 9000 Rupiah.

The present price-levels are relics of the hyper-inflation the country had a few years ago. Once we had to pay a taxi fare of 2,00,000 Rupiah to get back to our hotel.

The airport tax is 1,50,000 Rupiah. A cup of tea costs 15,000 Rupiah. I was chatting up with the security guard of a hotel who said that his salary was Eight lakhs Rupiah and that he could not even fend for himself with that poor salary.

Once I exchanged a few dollars and the currency trader loaded me with close to 1.3 million Rupiah.

My accountant’s mind made a swift calculation. If only the 2G spectrum scam happened in Indonesia the amount involved will be a cool 295,680,000,000,000 Rupiah or 295.68 Trillion Rupiah.

All these mind boggling figures lead to a simple yet profound deduction. That money is nothing but a fiction of your imagination.

The value you give to money is only an attributed value and not a real value. You need to know the value of money to find out the price of anything. But money cannot help you find out the value of anything.

I am not against money. Nor am I advocating a life without money. Money may not give you happiness but at least it makes your miseries bearable.

And you have a choice with money. If you are miserable you can choose to be so in Paris or Amsterdam. Poor people in misery do not have that kind of a choice.

What I am saying is that money is not wealth but just a symbol of wealth. You can buy food with your money. Only then money becomes real wealth.

In other words money is at best a gift coupon with universal validity. You can’t eat money. Money is a symbol in as much a picture or a stone image is a symbol of god. Money is a map and not a territory.

Three days before my father’s death I took him for a long ride in my car.

As we were passing through a hotel my Dad told me, “You know something? I now long for hotel food. Do you remember the days we used to go out for eating? It’s aeons since you took me to a hotel.”

I felt a distinct pain in my heart. My father had diabetes. His creatinine levels were very high. Sugar and salt were strictly forbidden. How could I take him to a hotel?

“You know something? I now long for hotel food.”

The words were killing me. If only I had known that he was going to die three days later I would have taken him to the hotel on that day.

As a typical accountant I opted for a compromise.

“Dad, my friend runs a hotel. I can ask him to cook special food for you without sugar and salt”

“If there’s no salt in the food what’s the point in going to a hotel? Your mother’s cooking is good enough. Why don’t you ask the Doctor to just let me eat once in a hotel?”

My father had three sons and a daughter. If his children pooled their resources then they could have even bought a hotel for him.

And yet with all the money we had we could not buy him the food he so badly wanted during his last days.

That’s money for you. Not real wealth, but capable of becoming real wealth only when you can otherwise enjoy it.

Money is just a number. The number 2 or number 5 does not mean a thing, unless it is associated with something else. 2 oranges. 5 apples.

And as a number it can be funny and fantastic. Two lakhs for a taxi ride. Four lakhs for a dinner. And 15,000 for a cup of tea.

This should teach us to adopt the right attitude towards money.

Let’s not hoard money as if we are going to live for ever.

Nor shall we throw it away as if we are going to die tomorrow. Somewhere in between lies the right approach.

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sir,

A wise outlook towards money, something that many fail to see and understand... its not that i do completely, but i am at least aware of how i should look at it (or at least i think i do)....

Explained in a simple but powerful manner sir....

nice photos sir :)

Akila

3. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Dear Uncle,
    This post teaches us a lot of valuable lessons for life. Waiting for more. One personal question, if you do not mind..why did you not take aunty along?

Raji

4. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar Sir,

Money is not everything...There are a lot of things with money you cannot buy... A very valuable message and lessons in one's life... Thanks for sharing... The photos looks very nice...

Shanti

5. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Dear Sir,

>Let’s not hoard money as if we are going to live for ever.
    Nor shall we throw it away as if we are going to die tomorrow. Somewhere in between lies the right approach.
    -I wish those words would be read by those folks who literally run a rat-race for amassing wealth and only more of wealth!

The trace of 'guilt'..that you couldn't get to treat your father in a hotel..just three days prior his end is deeply touching-it's ok sir-console yourself that at least you had taken him for some beautiful rides in your new ritz..and could get some time to spend exclusively with him..

The pictures all along bear an aura of sadness clearly visible in your face-the only one snap where you've seemed to have forgotten yourself..and your worries, flashing a natural smile..is the one where you have been flanked by those two mascots!

Regards & love,
    Saras

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sir,
    Very true Money is not everything in life....As regards not feeding ur father...I guess the hotels morsel didnt had his name... thats why God gave you the chance to be near him during his last moments....

7. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    That was a real myth buster on money. BTW, why did not Indhu accompany you?
    I could feel the pain in your writing when you mentioned about not being able to take your father to a hotel.
    How very true!
    Love
    Malathi

8. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    Good to see that you are back safe! Hope you took in some good sightseeing also since i can see that you have taken in a lot of EXPERIENCE! Of course i am sure all that will come as outpourings more and more soon! Yes a good analysis of Money! On the same line was thinking that SteveJobs died of Cancer and once again all the money and success he had could not help him get rid of this deadly disease isn't it! I deeply mourned his death.....since all those inventions were wonders and used by so many but NOTHING could stop him from taking his LAST BREATH! Guess if we all realise this we will not run and sweat after/for money! Hope your mom is doing good! Almost a month now na!

9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varalottiji,

Glad to read about your time off. I can imagine the pain and emptiness that must have travelled along with you. And the sadness at not being able to satisfy your father's simplest desire would be very deep. But that is life, we cannot lead it in retrospect nor can we see the future. So we can only do what seems right in the now and here.

Your thoughts about the true value of money could not have better expressed.

A very touching post Varalottiji. I could really identify with your feelings.

10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    when someone like you travels, we get to read and know many things. And because of your father, you were able to travel like this, so don't feel bad. This is all your father's achivement.
    ABout food, my father was a heart patient for a long 15 years. He had low sugar and low BP and was required to take even water with sugar. He was a person who snakcs on hot green chillies and imagine his plight. ANd he has to have his dinner by 5 every evening and after that he can take only a glass of milk at night. He used to sit on his bed mostly thro the night because he cannot sleep due to an empty stomach. Just a week before his death, his sugar levels were high and so he was not to have sugar or salt. What life? He had asked for rasam and Fanta just minutes before he breathed his last. The nurse had told him that it was 4 in the morning and she will get him Fanta once the canteen opens. He passed away by 5 am. When he passed away, I felt at peace that his suffering ended. We avoided taking pickles in front of him. But he never complained or threw tantrums.I miss him so much.