1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Back On Track.....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by AkilaMani, Jan 28, 2010.

1. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Last week my husband and I took our kids to play in the park near the reservoir. Dressed in tracks and sneakers I felt excited about going to the reservoir. The place holds a special place in my heart because here is where I started my weight loss journey.

Initially, when I started walking around the reservoir, it felt like an almost impossible task to complete one full round (about 4.3 km) and I would often tell myself that if I made it half way, I would reach the main road and I could catch a bus or taxi home if I felt tired. I never did it, but still the sight of main road was reassuring to me. Gradually, I started to jog a bit and power walk the rest. The first time I completed a full circle, I felt so good about myself. It was a great accomplishment for me. With regular jogging and strength training, I lost significant weight and gained stamina. And then, one day my hubby and I tried and did two complete rounds (that’s an incredible 8.6 km!!) in just over one hour. After that, that became the norm. We would start out to do one round and end up doing two.

Each of the gradual change from walking to jogging and then to doing two full rounds have been milestones in my journey towards healthy living and also a personal achievement to me, not to mention the comfort in the routine of jogging early in the morning. It took me almost two years to achieve this and then one fine day, I fell and hurt my ankle.

To my great disappointment the doctor advised me to take a break and rest my ankle for two weeks. The weeks turned to months when they found that it was a ligament tear and just not a strain. I tried to be brave about it and did alternate cardio workouts, but I dearly missed jogging around the reservoir (read What Will I Miss the Most?? - IndusLadies). It is a place that really inspires me to do better every time.

Now six months later and a few kilos heavier, I was determined to lose the weight and to get back in shape. Walking towards the reservoir, I felt both excited and a bit panicky.

The children squealed at the sight of the park. They jumped in the sand and started building sandcastles. “Take it slow” warned my husband as I did some warm up exercises. “Yeah, I will jog a bit and then walk the rest. Just like the old times. If I jogged till the midpoint, it would be great, but I won’t push” I reassured him.

I just couldn’t believe the first few steps that I jogged, somewhere in my mind, I think, I had given up hopes of jogging again. I settled into a comfortable pace and felt the cool wind caress my face and I smiled. A few familiar faces acknowledged me with raised eyebrows or a brief nod. Yes, it felt so good. Jogging past the first kilometre mark, my legs started complaining, I ignored it knowing all too well what it was. This had happed in the initial days of my jogging. There would be pain and I would direly want to stop, but it was more of a mind over matter thing. I would just say to myself that I would think about stopping at the next kilometre mark and jog on. The pain would disappear for a while, only to reappear at a different body part. My body would try to coax me into stopping at every turn but if I did push on and prove who's in charge, then it would let up and let me finish. So, I pushed on now since I was sure it wasn’t my injured ankle that was hurting.

Forty minutes later, I reached the park where the kids were playing. I could see my husband knitting his brows as he saw me jogging down, he checked his watch to time me. He shook his head as if to say “I should’ve known.” Then he broke into a wide grin “Not bad, just under forty minutes.” I could sense the pride in his voice. I just nodded breathlessly. It felt so good to have completed a full circle. It gave me a sense of achievement and also the feeling that I was indeed on the right track towards a healthier body, healthier life, and a healthier me.

2. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Oh WOW Congratulations Akila!! It surely is encouraging even to read your achievement, so I can imagine what it must feel for you. Good on you! Keep working little by little and you will get there for sure. Yes, you are on the right track.

3. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

great Akila, efforts you make surely will bring results. Keep sharing i will do the jogging and exercising all in astral plane.
    Jaya

4. AkilaMani

Thanks K2S and jaya for your support and encouragement.

akila

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Akila, Great news that you are able to jog again. I remember you posting the ankle injury in daily workout thread. Wow!! you must be feeling too good jogging after such a gap.Keep it up dear girl.

6. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Congratulations on your achievement. It's an inspiration for others.

7. AkilaMani

Hi Ami,

Thank you for visiting and your wishes. yes, it really does feel good to be jogging again. havn't seen you on the workout thread for a while... hope u r doing well and continuing ur workouts.

8. AkilaMani

Dear TL,

thanks for stopping by and your wishes.

9. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Dear Akila
    Its truly inspiring you are back on track even after such an injury.Congrats, and keep on your good work .

10. AkilaMani

Dear Meenu,

Thanks for visiting and thanks for you kind words.

akila