1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What will your child gain through reading habit?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by deep2008, Sep 13, 2009.

1. coolbird

coolbird New IL'ite

Congratulations on your winning for a topic which I am passionate about. My 5 year old niece was enrolled for a reading program in her school a year ago, and you will not imagine the difference it has made. She loves reading and articulating, so much so she is particular about pronunciations, curious about knowing the meaning of new words, and ready to read anything that comes her way. She does not understand a lot, but sure loves reading, and slowly it will become a part of her, when she does begin to understand. I wish most parents could inculcate this value of learning.

2. T.NARASIMHAN

T.NARASIMHAN New IL'ite

I entirely agree with the views of the blogger. However, what is intriguiing me is that these days, courtesy tv programmes with multiple channles, kids, especially my kids glue more to the tv than reading books, which irritates me.
    thanx.
    t.narasimhan

3. Avanti B

Avanti B New IL'ite

A subject very close to my heart too.I am a staunch supporter of inculcating the habit of reading from a very young age. I have been trying to do that with my 5 yr old - through example and gentle encouragement.
    However she reads only at bedtime, the rest of the day is devoted to various ways and means of sneaking in some tv viewing time. I am really at my wits end. How do I get her to stop this. I have tried everything from coaxing, pleading, reasoning , bribing, scolding, setting time aside. But she somehow dodges me and manages to get the maximum time for tv.
    Now short of disconnecting the cable there seems to be no way out. But I am averse to doing this as it will mean that I have not been able to discipline my child well enough and have taken the easier way out. Moreover its unfair to deprive the rest of the household from tv.
    Any suggestions - what do u guys do?

4. rkalpana

rkalpana New IL'ite

Hi,

ofcourse i agree with few points of ami...we cant create the habit of reading just buying books and gifting it to children...parents are the best example of children...i have the habit of reading books so from me my daughter learned the habit of reading and whenever she goes out she shas started picking up good books....but everything should be in limit...but what i think is the children also should play and should have physical exercises which is good for health...

rkalpana

5. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Congratulations Deep.
    I do agree with you. Its a wonderful habit that needs to be developed at very young age