1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Music to My Ears.....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by AkilaMani, Aug 4, 2009.

1. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Kammu….. that’s my mom’s name. Her name always reminds me of my childhood days, every time my dad enters the house he would call her name loudly yet lovingly and it would fill the house with warmth. My brothers and I would run out to greet him while my mom would quietly walk in with a pleasant smile and a glass of water for him. With no words said and only smiles exchanged they would spread a warmth of love that would envelop us all.

One very funny incident happened when my younger brother was around three. He called mom by her name and my dad told him that it wasn’t good manners to call mom by her name. My bro promptly replied without missing a beat that he would call her Kammu once he was as tall as dad. That was soooo sweet coming from a three-year-old.

Even now whenever I visit my parents, after all these years, the sound of my dad calling out mom’s name is music to my ears…… It never fails to bring a smile on my face.

2. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Your blog took me to my childhood days where we used to wait impatiently till our dad came home...for those bondas/vadas he brought us:)

3. AkilaMani

Hi ami,
    thanks for passing by. me too.... if dad was to come in the evening, he was sure to come home with the jelebi and samosa with imili ki chutney from the local lala's shop... they were delicious :)

4. kinder

kinder New IL'ite

Hi Mani, i am new to IL but i see you are quite a blogger. Your blog remindes me of the same memories...my mom's nick name is 'Seet' which means calm in our language. My dad calling her name always brought a cool breeze to my heart. It rings the same bells in my ears that you feel about your dad calling your mom's name out.

5. AkilaMani

hi kinder,

thanks for visiting and the lovely fb.

6. ssusha123

ssusha123 New IL'ite

its true. as amihere said, we all wait for our dad to come home from office in the evenings, just to snatch his bag to see the snacks or sweets inside. not even a single day passed without his bringing home something. even if he has limited money with him towards end of the month, he had never disappointed us. he was getting atleast 5-7 kadalai urandai. that was like a tons of chocolates for all of us. oh God, give me back those days. we are five (2 brothers & 3 daughters) including me. my mom used to share among ourselves. no one will get little more or little less. it was equally shared and we had lot of fun. now-a-days, children dont know the meaning of sharing.

anyways, as akila said, my dad used to call my mom as laxmi only, but the way he uttered was so calmly, quietly.

to our bad luck, we lost our parents.

7. AkilaMani

Dear usha,

Thanks for the lovely fb. Yes, sharing is something that parents have to teach children. Now with so many being an only child, they do not learn to share, and also now that parents also indulge their children, they tend to be a little bit spoiled, but children are children.... they only do what their parents do. so it is our responsibility to be their role model.

I am so sorry for your loss. all of their memories are always with you and they will always be there with you in spirit.