1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 3rd Standard Friend.... :)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Paru147, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Paru147

Paru147 New IL'ite

I met her in my 2nd Standard.... She was very pretty and cute... a girl with dark complexection and black straight hair which was cut short but not too short, keeping it at the right length to compliment her beautiful face. I, who being a chatterbox from then, made friends with her fast…. Soon we became thick friends and then graduated to ‘best friends’!!!!:cheers
    Time flew and before even we knew we were in 3rd standard. Now don’t think that was an easy task!! Ask any 3rd standard person (I thought I should give some respect to the kids so I wont be using ‘KIDS’ in here to refer them!)would tell how hard it was to get to that level! Especially during our times when our govt thought we were right in writing exams!! We had all of them- class tests, unit tests, term exams and then the beast himself, final exam!!! :bang
    Anyways that’s not my point… so both me and my best friend got promoted and happily reached our new class. By then we had become inseparable… we were always together be it during class hours or intervals… except during the second language period where we had chosen different ones- me being in Sanskrit and she being in Malayalam!!! thus we enjoyed our time together.
    I still remember how she taught me to do (rather write) those statement sums in mathematics.. That’s the year we started on our statement sums! Well I hope all of you must know what they are. They are those problem questions (pun intended!) in mathematics which you had to solve step by step. And each step needs to be written in words in the left side and the corresponding calculation and sum on the right side. My friend had her own style of writing these statement sums taught to her by her granny. (she used to stay with her granny as her parents were somewhere outside- I never really knew!) she used to divide the page into two in the middle not with straight line but using the closing bracket ( } ) and then write steps in the left side and the calculations on the right. So totally it looked something like this:
    Cost of 10 apples } Rs10.00
    Cost of 1 apple } 10/10 = 1
    } Re1.00
    So Cost of 2 apples } 1X2 = 2
    } Rs2.00//

(Wow!! I actually remember those statements steps!!:))
    It made those otherwise messy (literally and figuratively!) sums look better! And she believed that the neater ones fetch more marks than the rest!!(I doubted if they would give marks if the result was wrong!!). And she insisted that I too adapt this way of doing the sums! She even scolded me if she caught me otherwise!! And so I too started doing it her way not because I believed that it would fetch me more marks but because I dint want to hurt her nor jeopardize our friendship (in 3rd standard these could be reasons for friendships to break!!!!!).
    Thus we came to our 3rd and final term in 3rd standard (Jan-mar). I remember that day very well. The day spoiled it all……
    I was alone that day… my friend was absent that particular day (I prefer to use the school language here where we say absent instead of leave!!!!). And as my luck would have it, I had forgotten to do one home work and the usually nice teacher chose to be not so very nice that day!!!! (Guess she had a fight at home that day!) so I was punished and was asked to stand outside the class for the rest of the period!(now before (if)anyone of you feel angry against my teacher for punishing such a small reason I should be telling you that on top of that I was very busy talking with my friend who happened to be sitting at the back of the class from my place which was the first bench!!!! I don’t blame her but then that time I was too small to realize what I was doing!!)so there I was standing outside the class bored with no company. That was when I spotted my friend coming with her granny. I was surprised to see both of them there at that time! They smiled at me and walked into the class. I peeped in to see what was happening. I saw granny speak to the teacher and smiling. And my friend was distributing chocolates to our classmates. I was again surprised because she was wearing uniform which made me feel it was not her birthday for sure!! (in schools you wear coloured dress on your birthday and that’s the day you give chocolates to your classmates!)I wanted to know what was happening but with no luck. Sometime later both of them came out and she handed me one toffee and went off with her granny without a word. I was hurt but nevertheless I waited impatiently for period to get over. After sometime which seemed like a ‘yuga’ to me the bell rang which marked the end of the period and start of the interval (phew! That much luck!). I ran inside and met my other friends who told me the news- she was leaving the school and going to Lucknow to be with her parents….. I was shocked!! I dint know what to do… I ran to meet them and finally found them near the office of our school (where they handle the paper works! Guess they were taking the TC!) I dint know what to tell her… no words came out (you know even a 3rd standard person can be stuck with emotions!) I was shocked and sad. As I went near her she was getting ready to leave with her granny…. She saw me and asked me smiling – “Did you come for more chocolates? I have given extra to others”!!! I was even more shocked.. I shook my head to say no to the offer! And as I stood there both of them walked out of the school building……:shock:

The incident remains etched in my mind… I was very sad that time because my best friend left me… I never forgot her…. But later on when ever I thought about her and her last farewell dialogue I wondered -was that the only thing she felt?!! That I had gone to her for more chocolates like other classmates… was I just another classmate to her?? Then what was that friendship we shared??? Or was it the 3rd standard girl’s innocence that spoke through her… if so then how about those feelings of mine… all questions with no answers…. I still have no contact or idea where my good friend is… the 3rd standard girl in me still treasures the memories of my best friend who left without a word… even today I look at all those networking site and search with her name and Lucknow but I don’t know if I will ever find her even if I do I doubt if she will even remember me as her friend!!!!

But I always wrote the statement sums the way she taught me till end of my school days... even after she left me and all these thoughts and doubts..... And will continue the same way till I die…..

2. Paru147

Paru147 New IL'ite

It was quite an herculean task to put this blog up!! everytime I try to put it something or the other went wrong and I lost the whole thing!!! ya dint even allow me to save it on a word doc even!!! 1st time i thought it was a mistake, 2nd time I got irritated, 3rd time I was furious! still i wanted to put it up and wrote up the whole thing again and now here it is!!

3. shobanas

shobanas New IL'ite

4. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Heyy Paru

I really wish that this friend of yours is a member on IL and reads this post of yours and contacts u. It is wishful thinking, but not impossible.........

5. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

HI PARU

great to know you still treasure your friend in your heart...wish you all the best to find your friend somehow...very soon.....

this time your friendship is sure going to be everlasting... if you really find her...as she will be surprised of how much you remember about her...even still !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i too remember all my nursery friends and wish to see them somehow again....

you are really a great friend to have !!!!!!!!!

-sunitha

6. Paru147

Paru147 New IL'ite

thank you all for your wishes for finding her.. i too hope i will find her somehow.. :)

7. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Dear Paru,
    It was a cute, awesome blog. Specially I loved the last 2 para. It was touching. I wish and pray that you soon get in touch with that 3rd standard friend of yours.
    bye

8. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

Dear paru.
    your post really touched chord in me. A girl in 3rd std. you cherished her friendship but your friend of same age as you are didnt reciprocate well. That is what i have gathered. When you ran to her to listen to her for at least one final time she thought you were there for the chocolate. I would say she has lost a good friend. a good human being. But children are children strange are ways they behave.But reading your post this is what came to my mind. But the plus point is she taught one or two good things to you.

Hope you'll find her or rather she finds you and realise what a real friend she had lost all these years.
    All the best.

9. ankitkaran

ankitkaran Bronze IL'ite

You will find your 3rd std best friend soon.

I feel it is her innocence since at that age we dont even understand each other. You were sensitive on the friendship but not her.

Kiran

10. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Paru,
    U are a great friend.... my heart goes out to the third-std girl who stood there wanting to say so much to her best friend, and feeling utterly shocked by the friends reaction....
    I really hope u find her someday....