1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Calories??

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by AkilaMani, Jul 18, 2009.

1. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanvy.
    Thanks for your fb. The K word is so much used and feared now that sometimes we are just scared to even eat the things that we love the most....

2. AkilaMani

Dear Premsudha,
    Thanks for your feedback. Weren't those wonderful days.... eating without feeling guilty.....

3. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

Dear Akila,How true!!! You made me nostalgic really.. How I used to eat puris and cauliflower curry without counting and now I really have to think twice, even to make it once a week..

4. AkilaMani

Hi Deepali,
    Thanks for your fb....

puris and cauliflower curry.... what a wonderful combination!!! so true... that we have to think twice before we make these yummy foods and then feel twice as guilty of having eaten an innocent extra....

5. sangvidu

sangvidu New IL'ite

dear Akila,, that was a sweet blog and I was really laughing out aloud imagining your question "what calories" and the reply that your colleague gave.. But its true.. We have become more complacent with the current lifestyle. 2 years before I bought a treadmill for my dear hubby and to make it more inspiring installed it on his b'day so that he could easily do excercise at home.. But then he said he liked to walk outside getting fresh air!!...So the treadmill is resting at my home but for the few times that I have used..Atleast we were in shape during our childhood days and teens..Looks like the way we pamper our children, they wont stay in to a proper shape when they are young? Do you allow your kids to help you out in your household chores just as your mother did ? I havent started that with my 3 year old yet ..

6. AkilaMani

Hi Sangvidu,
    Thanks for your fb....

despite all the healthy choices I make for my family, I sometimes do wonder if my children would grow up as healthy.

Yes, I do involve both my 5+ and almost 2 yr old in the daily chores. They help tidy up the toys and also enjoy dusting and cleaning the photoframes and have fun when I sit down to fold up the washed laundary by playing dress up :)

7. sigmabeta

sigmabeta Bronze IL'ite

Dear Akila,

How true this is, the transformation from child to adult. Then it was a carefree innocent stage. Simple things like eating dosas were fun. Now we think, should I make 2 dosas or just eat one!!
    Also any task like cleaning shoes, clothes etc then was 'wow what an exciting task'. Now the same thing with be "oh groan".
    Enjoyed reading your blog.

8. AkilaMani

Dear sigmabeta,

thanks for visiting and for the lovely comments. Yes, the chores that were exciting then are really not so exciting now.... I wish I could share the excitement that my kids show when they wash their shoes....!!

9. bhansnig

bhansnig Senior IL'ite

Enjoyed reading your blog.
    I was also reminded of the good old days when we didnt bother about calories and led a happy carefree life. We walked or cyled to our schools,played a lot of games , did our chores at home, never felt bored, and ate everything. Miss those golden days

10. akshaya123

akshaya123 New IL'ite

After reading your blog , I was just remembering the good old days when I had initially come to singapore. I used to wander here and there to chek which gym best suits me for work out. There will be a huge discussion with my hubby everyday as whether to join yoga, swimming or other classes being conducted for reducing calories. What took me here , if i sit back and think, it used to really astonish me . After marriage, since both of us were working, we had our housemaid to take care of the entire household activities like washing utensils, mopping etc.. , our lovely fully automatic white colour washing machine for washing clothes, lift to go down and up (as we were staying in 5th floor) hubby to drop and pick from office.... and the list goes on.
    In my terms , calories is something related to a healthier food style with work out. Very nice reading this article and expect a lot more...