1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Our movies with dear grandma

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mssunitha2001, Jan 27, 2009.

1. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Myself and my brother grew up learning a lot of slokams and bhajans taught by my grandma (dad's mom) and a lot of stories from ramayan and mahabharat. My dear grandma used to tell us a new story.... every night before we both slept.

many...i have forgotten but a few slokams i remember i had posted in IL.

May be the way she used to narrate stories...was so so nice...that we used to love the good characters and hate the bad characters.... so much ....that we used to even discuss later the next day on the way to school. every night...myself and my brother .....used to wait so eagerly for my grandma to sleep besides us....

my mother also used to finish all her work in the kitchen and sit on the floor with something to knit or stitch or chop veggies for next day morning...and wait for my grandma to start her story telling ...

Almost everyday...it was a new story...till i remember...uptil 8th standard i think.....

So we knew all about the characters of karna's, krishna's, abhimanyu's, valmiki, rugmini's, ayyappan's, kunti's, shakuntala, prahlad, nala damayanthi, rama, sita, lava, kusa, raghavendra, guruvayurappan, ganesha, shiva parvathi's, radha, meera,vishnu, saraswathi, vasudev devaki....and what not.....

She did not stop with that....every time a movie used to release be it tamil or malayalam.....she used to talk to my father about it and get permission for taking us for the movie. she also would get permission from our neighbourhood friends' parents and all of us kids....around 12 would get ready as early as 7 am for a 10.30 am show....she would get extra money from my father to buy all the children snacks during the interval and off we would leave our homes like we were going on a picnic,chattering all the way.... with waterbottles, biscuit packets, big fun bubble gum (at that time), jeeraka mittai, javvu mittai etc., rose milk sachets, kammarkat..... (nowadays no way our children can see them or want them even if offered)
    as we had already heard the stories from her in detail....we really could enjoy the movies....to the meximum. many of our friends who did not understand would ask doubts to my brother and myself and we used to be so proud of knowing it...(credit though goes to my grandma)

we have enjoyed movies like karna, bhakta prahlad, swami ayyappan, adhiparasakthi, panchatantra stories, draghavendra, thiruvilayadal, etc etc., and wait to see such movies again ....if luck bestows again.

Nowadays i am not allowed to watch such movies even in television....because my kids...cry to change channels....because they dont know the stories and they cant really understand.....i tried telling all the stories to my kids several times....but....my kids openly pleaded with me...please mummy tell us something about spiderman, superman, tweety, marutho, barbie, beautyand the beast, mr.bean, mermaid, rapunzel, snowwhite.....but not all "old stories " which we dont know about.

i keep thinking to myself...what is wrong ....with the stories ...we all used to love to hear....

wish i could get some comics like amar chitra katha, ambulimama, gokulam, champak etc., for atleast myself...and read them again and again for the sheer pleasure of it...or i wish my grandma came back alive....and narrate stories to them ...like she did for us....

really....i am missing my grandma a lot.......

2. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

dear sunitha
    you brought back so many memories of the by gone days .in the summer holidays my cousins would come from delhi and didi would tell us the stories of the latest movies. me, my brothers, some cousins and ofcourse the kids from the neighbourhood... all would wait for them. nowdays the kids will never sit for such a long time , neither would they ever wish to listen a story.. they want instant gratification.. on the tube. at times i feel they are missing out on the relationships formed due to being together. to an extent these warm bondages are missing today.

3. kavitha nair 1

kavitha nair 1 New IL'ite

Dear Sunitha;

Saw your message.Thank you.I am overwhelmed that i am missed.Me busy with Janaki,my daughter,august 2010 born, these days.I will soon return to the forum.

Love
    Kavitha

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sunitha

Enjoyed reading your days with your grandma. You brought back memories of my grandma

love
    viji

5. mssunitha2001

A very nice feeling when i saw your happy news in my blog....:)

oh my girl...i have been hunting for you for quite some time....:spin please spare some time in IL too....once in two weeks....it is long time since i read your lovely blogs !!!!!!!

My hugs to Janaki:).......:)

6. mssunitha2001

Thank you so much for coming in here !!!!!!

certainly ....Olden days are golden days !!!!!!!!!!!

7. mssunitha2001

Thank you for your wonderful fb...

As you said nowadays kids are not patient enough to listen to stories.....

they prefer reading story books rather than listening....

May be it is becos we are not as good enough as our grandmas in narrating stories.

8. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Felt nostalgic after reading this Sunitha. You have a nice way of articulating things. Why don't you write more blogs? -rgs

9. mssunitha2001

Thank you RGS !!!!!!!!!

But i now know i cant write blogs as interesting as you and other
    bloggers do.

10. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I take it as a compliment Sunitha. To be honest, I have a long way to go and I do not know whether I am going to take my writing seriously at all. Sometimes I get really inspired by the accolades I receive [your feedbacks always count]. Later I realized that I can never demand a feedback. Of late, I just write what I feel - don't even go to justify that you know? Suggest you to continue when you can. It tells about your perception. Thanks. -rgs