HOW IS ONE TO ENQUIRE "WHO AM I" RAMANA EXPLAINS

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by sunkan, Jun 24, 2008.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

[​IMG]

How is one to enquire “who am I” ?

Ramana: Actions such as ‘going’ and ‘coming’ belong only to the body. And so when one says “I went, I came”, it amounts to saying that the body is I. but, can the body be said to be the consciousness “I”, since the body was not before it was born, is made up of the five elements is non-existent in the state of deep sleep, and becomes a corpse when dead? Can this body which is inert like a log of wood be said to shine as “I” “I”? therefore, the “I” consciousness which at first arises in respect of the body is referred to variously as self conceit(tarbodham) egoity (ahankaram), nescience (avidya), maya , impurity(mala) and individual soul (jiva). Can we remain without enquiring into this? Is it not for our redemption through enquiry that all the scriptures declare that the destruction of “self conceit” is release (mukti)? Therefore, making the corpse-body remain as corpse, and not even uttering the word “I”, one should enquire keenly thus: “Now what is it that rises as “I”. Then there would be shine in the heart, a kind of wordless illumination of the form ‘I’ ‘I’. That is, there would shine of its own accord the pure consciousness which is unlimited and one, the limited and the many thoughts having disappeared. If one remains quiescent without abandoning that (experience), the egoity , the individual sense, of the form “I am the body” will be totally destroyed and at the end the final thought, viz. the “I” form also will be quenched like the fire that burns camphor. The great sages and scriptures declare that this alone is release.

hai friends felt all his Q & A if in one file it would be easier to download and keep so here is the pdf file of the entire little stuff here...sunkan

2. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

ennul irukkum ennai
    thoora nikka cholla
    ennul thulli ezhunthu
    poga marukkum athanai
    ennai thulaikka muyarchi
    palavum eduthu paarthen
    ennul olinthu irukkum
    avanum solla kanden...
    enni eno thulaikku
    avanukkum manam illai
    thulaitha pinbu solven
    naan avan illai...

naan

3. madhumathi1974

madhumathi1974 Bronze IL'ite

Hi sukanji,

thank u very much for posting the above things.i need a bit confirmation pls is this the photo of sri ramana maharshi, if so pls tell me i will take print of it b'coz i was in search of this from many months.

thanks,
    madhu.

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

yes madhu,
    it is ramana, pl go ahead and take a print may god bless u

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

great sathya are your words..akka

6. madhumathi1974

madhumathi1974 Bronze IL'ite

Hi sukan ji,

thank u very much for ur kind reply. yes i had taken out a print out of it. thank u once again.

7. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

Dearest Sunkan ji,

Oh, the greatest of all times, the effective sages and the Siddhargals !!! Only yesterday night, my father and I were discussing about the same and brought in different people of all ages, Ramana Maharishi, Patanjali, Vivekananda so on and so forth !!! The concept of "I" had been stressed by everyone who had realised their Athma within apart from the mere Shareeram !!

Only now I got to read your blog. Thank you very much for the insight !!

Love
    RamyaVaradharajan