Depression - myth, reality, or a little of both?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rihana, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have heard friends mention that they are taking medication, and about its side-effects.
    Doctors mostly put the patient on anti-depressant medication after an fMRI? Just asking, it is not per se a response to your post.

sindmani and KashmirFlower like this.
  2. twinklesharma

twinklesharma New IL'ite

Somewhere one sentence has been written that"Depression is the medicine to prevent your brain to get die". In normal and competition life each and every person is having this problem of depression but it's mainly occurred by high expectations and ego's.

1 person likes this.
  3. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

wish it was as easy as MRI. so if nothing shows up one can be called 'crazy', senile etc

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If you have the money, sure! They are prohibitively expensive, and used primarily for research. Maybe if one went to an academic neurologist, they'd recommend an fMRI, but no insurance will pay for it. So far mental illness diagnoses are made by psychologists and psychiatrists using the DSM V guidelines. But with current advancements, it won't be long before we start using actual tests and scans. We already have them in research settings.

There have been numerous studies to destroy the 'it's all in your head' argument. Just because some hormonal teenagers and drama queens have appropriated the word to describe everyday lows, doesn't take away from the fact that depression, the mental disorder, is a serious condition that needs treatment. For anyone who subscribes to the idea of 'myth', 'fancy label' and Mr Haiku, an fMRI of a brain with chronic long term depression is all you need to settle the debate over the legitimacy of the disorder. Brains of depressives become structurally different from 'diagnostically normal' people. Studies have shown that these changes are reversible if the illness is well controlled.

I wrote a snippet about it a while ago, my one and only, which makes my stance on the issue very clear. Posted the link here but took it out. I was hoping to see a debate evolve organically. But E&PG is not Married Life. Maybe I should make an alt-ID and post some inflammatory opinions to get people riled up! :)

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the detailed answer, Gauri.

We are surely seeing more awareness and helps when public personalities share their experiences.

From casual conversation with friends, I got the impression that doctor prescribed them medication too easily. My friend circle is predominantly desi, and I will admit actually beholding a friend taking the medication, while she looked and talked 100% normal, even counseling me on my life's then current vicissitude : ) was hard to comprehend.

In fact, until that Deepika Padukone interview, I was quite unaware of many facts related to depression. Not a fan of her movies exactly, but I like her rise to fame and how she manages her career, so I read up more on some things she mentioned.

Based on that reading, and how casually friends say they are on medication, and since diagnostic screening (fMRI?) is expensive, and since doctors have their own philosophies and styles of prescribing (what, when), and since it seems to strike a high percentage of adults, I think people need to be aware of their take on it, and how they'd deal with it if it happens to self or family.

6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That is a serious problem but the patients are as much to blame as the doctors. When a doctor says "exercise", the patient seeks a second opinion. Most mild cases of depression can be treated with CBT and exercise. There are severe situations that require medication but hardly as often as prescribed. People want quick fixes, and doctors can't be bothered with trying alternative therapies. The best thing to do is to do your own research and seek all possible treatment options before resorting to medication. Pharmaceuticals don't treat the problem, they only mask the symptoms.

Prescription abuse is another story. People taking mood enhancing drugs when they have no need for them whatsoever!

I don't know Deepika Padukone's story, but I've read plenty of ignorant drivel about mental illness to understand how badly we need to increase awareness of these disorders. In fact it was one such infuriating snippet I read on IL, that PO'd me enough to force me to write a counter-snippet!

7. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Depression is one over-hyped word, like happiness.

1 person likes this.
  8. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

May be by the time MRI shows the brain changes significantly , the patient might be in deep depression, treating early based on patients and psychiatrists meetings is good. The self awareness is important in this.

and also MRI can't be done regularly like a blood test to see improvements in patients as it exposes patient to is high radiation .

sindmani, madras2018 and Rihana like this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Depression can seem like a myth until it strikes you or your loved ones personally. I used to be skeptical until we lost a close friend to suicide. This person presented a normal front to everyone and had been coping with his demons privately, under medical care, until one day he decided to go to a better place for himself.
    It is not easy to find competent mental health professionals who will work through different treatments until there is an optimal outcome for the individual. While patients do have personal responsibility for their own care, just popping Prozac isn't going to cut it for everyone. Often, unless the underlying cause is removed, medicines are just going to be a coping aid. Psychiatrists will often tell people to try to change their situations, but it is often easier said than done: change your job, change your living situation etc. It is a dark, foggy, slippery slope I would not wish on my worst enemy.

guesshoo and Rihana like this.
  10. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Yep. "colloquial usage" is more meant as "i feel sad" but disorder is a different thing. Too many people say the D word colloquially thereby diluting the real disorder.

guesshoo and Rihana like this.