1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is the New Year Happy

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Is the New Year Happy

Today I read, about people spending a lakh for one night, to celebrate the new year, for they feel the new year will be better than the current one.

New Year 2016: A room costs over Rs 1 lakh per night at hotels like Oberoi, Taj - The Economic Times

5 Star Hotels in Udaipur, like Taj,Oberoi, and Leela, are sold out.Even though there are less foreigners this year, the indians are there in Tonnes. They charge u 68,000 for the room, and force u to take the dinner coupon for the new year eve, for 40,000 for the couple, and u pay more than 1 lakh for a night, for dance and food, which is lousy ont hese days, but no one complains.

Everyone was excited at the 99 new year, for it was brining in the millenium. People spent a bomb, and some even went to the extent of going to an island close to New Zealand, which is near the border of the line, that seperates the day. So they spent the new year twice, crossing over in expensive flights.

And what did the millenium bring with it ? Financial choas, with the dot com bust, wiping out many of these people who celebrated.

I for one cannot understand what is so great about the New Year? What do u do on that day, that u don’t do on other days ? I have seen people dance, drink silly, get up with a hangover, and many puke, and u call that fun ?

Go on the roads, drive back home after the new year, and I am scared.Hooligan boys, drinking beer on bikes, and throwing the beer bottles at car windshields, coming close to yr car, and harassing the ladies inside, it is terrible, ubless u are a Ambani to take the helicopter home.

Look at my New Year Eve of 2012. I was hale and hearty in 2011, and a few month in the new year I was operated for cancer. If your parents are alive, u have a roof oer your head, and yr family with u, this year is good for u.
    Who knows what the new year brings with it, the death of a parent, business loss, or other such calamities, and when u look back, u might be tempted to say,
    THE LAST YEAR WAS BETTER FOR ME.

Spending a lakh , ogling away at babes u don’t know, and whom u wont meet again efer, and getting up with a hangover, and an lighter wallet, if that is yr idea of fun, go ahead.

My idea of fun is sitting with a few close couples, and telling jokes and playing antakshri, or a quiet dinner with my wife, now that the two of us are alone, is heaven.

To celebrate is fine, to spend a lakh is ridiculous. But then these spenders are good for the economy, so be it.

So guys have a great old year, about the new , keep yr fingers crossed and hope it goes as well as the current year, if not better.Take care.

KAMAL MAHTANI

अगर साथ में बीबी न हो तो
    आदमी एक दिन में मास्को ,
    काबुल और लाहौर होते हुए घर आ सकता है.

We feel sorry for the people who don't drink.....

They wake up in the morning and that's the best they are going to feel all day,
    unlike people like us who have opportunity to feel better in the evening

============================================

After his Divorce a husband came out of the court jumping,dancing, singing
    His friend asked him why he was so happy.

He replied "Court has said to pay my wife half of my salary."
    Friend asked "Why are you happy?"

He said "From now on I can have half of my salary."

====================================

Modi's surprise visit to Pakistan with 120 people without a visa..that reminds me of Our great Rajkumar ji's dialogue-

Jaani..hum tum se milenge, jaroor milenge..
    Lekin wo jameen tumhari hogi,
    Plane bhi tumhara hoga,

Party bhi tumhari hogi,
    Lekin Waqt humara hoga!!

=======================================

English and Hindi always Contradict:
    Eng: The sooner the better.
    Hin: Jaldi ka kaam shaitaan ka hota hai.

Eng: Think of the devil, and the devil is here.
    Hin: Badi lambi umar hai tumhari, abhi tumhe hi yaad kar rahe the..

Eng: Dont wait, fight for ur rights.
    Hin: Sabar ka fal meetha hota hai.

...and, the best one:

Eng: As wise as an owl.
    Hin: Ullu ka pattha!

8 people like this.

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Kamalji India is a rich country where people can afford to burn money in the bonfire of their vanity. But still the country has poor guys like me. Usually I book a room in my club so that I don't have to return home after the New Year celebrations and stay overnight there. But this year I am buying a good bottle of wine (nowadays there are good wines in India) , stay at home and finish it off. No rum this year for the first time.[/FONT]

2 people like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,

There is nothing new about the new year eve or new year for that matter. Every day is the beginning of the rest of our lives. It is a bonus to do something different, refine ourselves into a better being, help a few more who are in need of our help, love our family and friends and find new ways to be healthy, peaceful and happy.

Every year, On December 31st beginning 9 p.m. until 12 a.m. on 1st, many of us sing bhajans in praise of the Lord together. When the new year starts, we chant Gayathri Mantra for good 10 minutes before we end the session. Whether the year turned out to be good or bad, it gave a great feeling that we spent time together wisely.

Viswa

4. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Sir,

Yes..India has rich people who are able to spend lavishly and has enormous number of poor people as well...

Sad that the poor ones are forgotten by those who are rich..Would be good if they are helped as well..Atleast annadaan would be great way of sharing the enjoyment..

Anyhow New year is as per English/Western calender..I usually don't do much, except going to temple..

Others have New Year as per their regional calenders ( for myself Tamil New Year is in April) which I like to celebrate more than the English one...JMO..

Thanks for the thread..
    Vaidehi

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji, you have a way of hitting the nail on the head. What you say rings so true, truer indeed than the New Year being rung in!

I suppose we are getting old Kamalji and so after so many new years we see the futility of it all. Like Viswa says, each day is a new year, in fact, I'd say, each moment is the beginning of another year. So what's so special that one blows up money so mindlessly while so many are starving and why would one choose to get sozzled to their gills and end up in accidents on the roadside? Like you, I too love to just stay at home and spend my time just like any other day.

6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    I completely agree with you. No point in spending huge amounts for New Year celebrations. It is like any other day. I like the sentence "To celebrate is fine , to spend a lakh is ridiculous."
    Yes, we never know what is in store for future. Accept things as they come and do not sulk about life.
    Happy New Year to you and to your family.
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  7. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Totally agree with you kamalji. While growing up, our New Year eve and the New Year was just watching the special program on the television.

Now, we meet with our friends, have pot luck dinner and then watch the TV for the new year. No one drinks so no problem with that. In the morning, we go to the temple. This is the same ritual for the calendar new year or our hindu new year.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,

Very well said about burning in vanity. it is like, what u can do i can do better mentality.There is no harm in celebarating new year, just as u can have a decent wedding, but these kind of things is like going overboard.There is spending money, and there is wasting money, and this is the case of the later.

Good now u are more economical, and even that ideas of staying in the club on the new year eve is good, still good.
    A very happy new year, Balaji, may u have good health, and good wealth too.

Regards

kamal

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

Yes agreed, everydays is a new year, yes help a few other human beings and make our life moe worthy.
    Yes all years are good, no year can stop us from growing old, what has to happen will happen, it si just our perception that is is good or bad.

wishing u a very happy , healthy and prosperous new year Vishwa to yr family too, god bless u, i like yr way of celebtrating, remembering the lord.

Regards

kamal

10. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

kamaljee I totally agree with you ,I personally feel its a change of date signifying a time gone by its a time to retrospect /introspect .be together with loved ones and spend quality time together earlier we would get together and sing anthakshari have dinner together a few friends with their family ..to spend such huge amount is a mockery .