1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

chronic constipation in kid

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by DeepthiN, Nov 29, 2015.

1. DeepthiN

DeepthiN New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am a mother of 3 year old boy kid.One year back we got transferred from Chennai to Hyderabad, from that time on wards he developed constipation and it was becoming severe day by day. we tried almost all the good doctors , he is still on lots of medication but in vain , we have to use enema every alternative day as he is not going to poop even on medication.PLEASE SUGGEST SOME GOOD MEDICINE/DOCTOR IN HYDERABAD. we are literally in tears seeing my kid suffer and hampering his growth. PLZ HELP.

2. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

Doctor and medicine i have no idea.. But few things u check.. His water intake, (at most half litre excluding milk juice intake), can give bananas, papaya, reduce biscuit, maida items, give raisins.. Puffed paddy also helps.. Kid should be active.. Running around also helps digestion.. Curds also help.. If he is having more of white rice.. Reduce a bit and see.. Some people get constipated.. Will add if I remember more!! (our son regularly gets constipated.. And check if u give de-worming medicine on doctors prescription if will help.. Homeopathy worked for us)

3. Keet

Keet Silver IL'ite

I have chronic constipation issue. Prune juice is the only relief for me. It really works.

4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

@DeepthiN

I feel bad for your kid :-((((

We have struggling with same issues with our 1 1/2 yr old daughter here in US. Ever we travelled to India and back , and then put her in daycare..it never went away.

Nothing worked on my LO.

What you can try -
    1. For urgent relief, medications - Miralax or other stool softeners in India with docs consult. You might have to increase qty to the point of loosening it so he can not hold anymore. Once ( after few weeks), he knows going won't hurt anymore, you can start reducing medicines and work on diet at same time.

2. Increase fluid intake, juices (apple, prune juices are best, orange).
    3. Reduce milk ( or completely cut down for the moment), give curd

4.P fruits - Pears, prunes, + apples. oranges, soaked raisins , apricot
    5. For now, if he drinks high sugar drinks - milk with lot of sugar, or sweet, chocolates etc.
    My Lo does not like sweets, though I offer her for same reason.

Add lots of ghee to food. Since nothing else worked for my lo, these days I do-
    -add ghee to her milk and lot of honey/sugar ( makes my life worse, cleaning bottles..but anything to relieve her pain)
    -ground flax seeds to her curd. think ground peanut would also help.

6. I also heard OTC probiotics or fiber supplements helping the situation but I never tried yet.
    - Culturelle, benefiber etc

5. rossie

rossie Gold IL'ite

Include fiber in his diet. That is the only long term solution.

6. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

Hi

have you found a solution? My daughter is about 2 years. She holds her poop everyday. She had one episode of hard stool which started this. Normally she passes everyday and some times she passes once in the morning and screams in the evening until we are forced to use suppository. Don't know how that happens. Can't find a major mistake in the diet. Simply holds and refuses to sit and pass even in the diaper.

I tried to potty train her so that she sits and voids completely, several months ago after Dr asked me try that. It simply created more tension. No rewards worked. She is too young.

This is causing me immense stress to see her do this. She is on laxative. But still she looks very anxious and worried to go.

Any ideas?

7. StrangerLady

StrangerLady Gold IL'ite

Hi Deepthi and others,

feel really sorry for the kids. For constipation fibre rich food is the only solution. I faced the same issues with my daughter. oranges, prunes, fig, bananas n lots of lots of vegetables will help.

Include soups in the diet

Please do not give biscuits or white bread till the time the pbm gets solved.

Also apply castor oil in the stomach for 2 months continuously in the early morning n see.

Have seen my daughter suffer n can really understand ur situation.

8. sanjuruby3

bananas - I know its magic fruit but I have completely stopped bananas for my Lo now for constipation issues. Even though it is one of the few things she eats...Different people have different say on it. If anyone giving bananas and seeing constipation, try eliminate for few days.

Castor oil - do we have to rub on tummy? it is message that works ( may be with any oil) or castor oil absorption to body?

9. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

The challenge is that if the child have pain when pooping she will try to not poop/keep inside and the stool gets hard. Kind of a vicious cycle. Fiber rich food and lot of fluids. But also making the pooping pleasant. I kept the potty in the living room, allowed my son watching cartoons. Use medication (laxatives) for a while to let the kid come over the fear.

10. sanjuruby3

Agree with CrayoNess on this. My LO won't sit on potty for long time. When she was small, we used to put portable potty seat everywhere in house.... Now she won't sit on it and able to get up on her own so we have to use adult potty with child's cover so she won't able to get off it.
    Now to keep her on it for while, we keep books in bathroom, use rhymes, tabs, iphones and music..what not. I dance in front of her to keep her distracted from crying to be out.

If she sits longer, she usually does it. It works most of the time..as its difficult to contract muscles to hold poop in that pose.
    She still manages to skip days, and her diet/eating habits are bad, so I see hard poop and blood almost every time.