1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Interfereing or am I thinking

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by omnam, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Lakshmipav

Lakshmipav Silver IL'ite

yeah I agree this is kind of innocence from village people .. I know ..
    is she is educated ..? If no the ans is don't take her words seriously ..

i know neighbors call each other like sister , brother like that .. We have neighbors who are very close like they enter kitchen bedroom etc .. It depends on how closeness we give each other .. City life is bit diff we know neighbors call them x aunty , y uncle but don't entertine them a lot I have seen this at my inlaws home ..

my mil only surprised to see the closeness between we n neighbors ( our case diff we are neighbors since 30 years ) so it's common for u to get annoyed ..

what about western countries we don't know who r our neighbors so he or she wil be MR X or miss y.. So things are changing according to place .. She is still there that's it ..

if u really don't like her involvement ignore she will only understand after some time ..

2. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

OP,

Hmm... you should nip such 'innocent' requests in the bud right away. The unstated subtext of that request is that this lady is feeling 'bad' that your 'poor' father has to make his own coffee in spite of his wife and daughter being around. Dont be silent next time. Instead tell her somewhat bluntly - you need not bother about all that. This is the way we do things at our place. You just tell do you want coffee or not, understand? May be you can soften it with abelated smile but make sure she gets the message that you will not tolerate any interference in the running of your household.

4 people like this.
  3. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

This is a common problem, your neighbor is home and she likes to hangout with your parents and give free advice to anyone, it looks innocent but you are the one facing it everyday so you have to decide if you are going to ignore it or do something about it.

omnam likes this.
  4. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

She has moved from a village...she is having a tough time adjusting and she is trying to fit in...we become close to people when we share personal information...maybe she is trying to bond or fit in with the only way she knows...

Just for example...let's say we have a celebrity neighbor and sher asks the same questions and she goes to the kitchen and makes coffee...we will be raving about how simple the celebrity is...we are constantly judging people based on how they look, talk and their socio economic status. Just a different perspective for u to think about.

5 people like this.
  5. shruthisp

shruthisp Gold IL'ite

Make sure these too innocent questions raise trouble in your household..
    Few Parents tend to fall for these and start comparing their children with these outsiders.. why to bring unnecessary trouble in otherwise normal home.. Its better to keep distance..

2 people like this.
  6. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

That's a very strong statement and it has hurt me. Whatever is the reason but certainly not the one which you pointed out. No, I m not comparing myself with her marital life. NO I m not jealous of her marriage. why would I compare when my sisters are having better life than her and I have not even compared myself with them. She has her own set of problems which she s adjusting to, coz she s naïve to do that. Not that her husband is bad...but just their usual family things. And she talks out everything to my mom coz she her parents have other priority issues to handle.

I am happy of my mom having a company and friendship. I myself don't share my things/feelings with parents and siblings...coz few things might make them even more concerned and share with friends. For sure, mom need a person whom she wants to share stuff which she doesn't want to share with her family. I am happy in a way.

But...for sure my friends know their limits when it comes to behavior infront of my family. for sure they will not jump to offer things/help which my sisters/family are supposed to do atleast in their presence. Which would for sure proving that I care more than your family.

I hope you get my point now and feelings.

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Sorry to have hurt you @omnam... I did not mean to hurt you, but just tried to be honest with my opinion. It is an online forum, and that's why you are here to discuss your problem.
    See, I just don't want to sugarcoat, just like we do when talking to people in person. If so, the purpose of posting it online to hear honest opinion would be lost. JMO

I did not say you are jealous. I said you might be feeling jealous on this women for various reasons to feel annoyed by knowing she is naive, has family issues and she is too close to your parents anyway. That was my observation. You are free to agree to disagree here.

Further, this woman is not your friend. She is perhaps your mother's friend.

Honestly, I wouldn't feel annoyed if someone of my mom's close circle makes a cup of coffee to my mom. Coz, they might be doing the same when I am not there.
    But sometimes I do feel annoyed at people who are being civil with me. It is because I am not at the right frame of mind then.
    So, it is important to introspect, rather than self defense. This is a great forum to introspect your self I guess.

8. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

things which are untrue...I mentioned it as untrue about my feelings. For this also if you call self defense...I cant do anything. Great forum to introspect, that's the reason I m here 6.5years now. I m telling my point of view and correcting you, what have u perceived about me...which would further help you to help me.

One more thing. One point s very clear that I try to get along with her just coz she is mom's frnd. Otherwise her thought process are very different..which I cant take. Another example of our difference-Though she from village but lived in 2-3 countries, Korea for a year, London, don't remember other country. But she is not ready to accept few things in life. She hasn't changed her dressing style, still wears saree, makes plaits, apply layers of turmeric on face, kumkum, vibudi on forehead. OK DONT JUDGE ME HERE ITSELF. I m not saying oh she is still a country women. I adored her for being so attached to her basics even after having been lived in abroad for 2 years each country. My point is she gossips about women in our apt who wear short skirts , hot pants, jeans, crop shirts. For me its Palm forehead situation for me. I cannot tell her saying lady the way u feel her cloths not good, she also might feel the same about your saree which is inchesss above your feet. Or anyone can feel I m overdressed or underdressed. My policy is it is their life she wears cloths or not..it is her life. Until she is not interfering in my life...I don't have any business in judging her and atleast not on the basis of cloths.

sindmani, shruthisp, Minion and 3 others like this.
  9. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

Decision on distance was already taken. In terms of comparing, it is my parents problem. I m sure by this age, they understand who is what.

2 people like this.
  10. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

not able to digest the thought of having someone in our kitchen except us. I mean we used to have our aunties...mom's friends of her age. But they were really close. before our birth.But then things were there even with them. Even those aunties, never jumped to make coffee or cook.....rather she would go along with mom in the kitchen. That's it.

1 person likes this.