Why not being flexible to delete threads posted by user?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback!' started by mehtaradhikam, Oct 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mehtaradhikam

mehtaradhikam Bronze IL'ite

Hi all!

It's nice to have a forum like indusladies which helps women in many situations and also providing a platform where one can say their hearts out.

I have found out a big issue. Here all women say very frankly about their personal lives. It can be misused in many ways.

For ex, someone is sharing problem of family or life, you can just type the username of that member with indusladies word and Google will be generous to display all posts and threads of that user.

I know how programming of website works. Yes it will be tedious to recode to let members delete their own posts and threads but its not impossible. Either try to hide personal information forums threads from search engines.

Why to display so private info in search engine's results? There must be a way out. Don't let women vulnerable to internet goons. Hope this will be addressed in positive manner.

2. daisy2015

daisy2015 Platinum IL'ite

I agree with what she said. Indusladies must not allow any search engine to display any posts related to the registered members of IL no matter in which forum they are posted. People are making wrong use of the info. Please do something about this.

3. mehtaradhikam

There are many forums on internet which allows visibility of profile and discussion of member to be private. For ex Facebook. But Facebook is not the platform where anyone can find so many Indian women who can give them suggestion or motivation for personal problem

Also all of us knows about pm's, but there one cannot have inputs of many members.

So if deleting is not the option "allowed" per se, then these all posts and threads must be hidden from search engine es.

Really I think we all are fine if information shared here becomes public. I think I got my sanity back just today morning when I was thinking of to share some more proble m and get some advise and a thought of privacy stuck me like lightning. Blitzkrieg, thanks Hitler.

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If Indusladies were a private site, how would you have found it? OP, I understand that you have signed up with your real name and given out real details of your life, but the site or the admins cannot be held responsible for that. The onus of protecting your privacy is yours. The best policy is to not share things you don't want known in public. There is NO privacy on the Internet. When I write, I obfuscate irrelevant facts, as long as they don't materially impact the message.

Since you are genuinely in trouble, your best option is to message the admins and request them to a) change your username b) Delete portions of posts that contain problematic information. The admins here are friendly and they've always helped me when I've asked.

1 person likes this.
  5. mehtaradhikam

I am not helding anyone responsible for any information I shared. Private site names can also be accessed publicly, just the information which is shared by users should not be displayed in search engine's result.

I mean this site is teaching me not to have your real name as username, so funny, I am a fool. I should use fake information. Creating fake ids etc.

I have seen working of cyber crime department closely, many women are harassed by strangers by accessing their information. Here at indusladies, you just need to search in google and there you go, you get every detail in detail. You don't "need" to have any special "hacking skills" which are needed by other sites, here laymen can just go and check all details.

Furthermore, all sites provide users with flexibilty of deleting their own posts and discussion, but here this option is not available. I mean you cannot be boss of your posts.

And no don't take pity on me, I have not shared any information, I have started this thread after thinking of safety of all women users.

I mean we all are literate but not learned, including me. All are ok with anything.

6. mehtaradhikam

I think I am wrong in every point, @induslady please close this thread.

7. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@mehtaradhikam,

You may not be wrong in every point, but yes you have misunderstood some things about the site.

No one in the site is asked to register with their "real" username. It is totally up to the individuals comfort level to use their real name or go for a pseudo name as username. That does not mean fake id, it only means having a different screen name in the cyber space.

Also, we have time and again mentioned in many posts that lists the guidelines for participation, not to reveal any kind of personal information (name, location, any kind of contact info. etc.) while posting here. Real life problems can be discussed for seeking advice and opinions without disclosing any personal/private information - absolutely.

Another senior member has stepped in to explain why it is necessary for the site to show in Search. Similarly, if we keep deleting posts left, right and center, there will be no experiences built here for everyone to look-up.

If unknowingly personal information has been shared, we have always been flexible enough to edit it out.

Thank you for your concerns on behalf of all women.

This thread is CLOSED as you wished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.