1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

How to store less frequently used grains and pulses

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by karanu, Sep 30, 2015.

1. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

I like to cook with different grains (ragi, bajra, jowar, millets etc), pulses and flours. Though I buy in less quantity (like 200 or 500 gms), I find it difficult to store them at room temperature as they get infested soon with tiny black insects (not sure what they are called). So I end up storing these packs in freezer. I recently read that plastic bags release dioxin at high heat or cold temperatures.

I want to organize them neatly in glass jars outside and keep them away from insects. Please suggest tips/ideas on how to store them.

2. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

Hi karanu,
    Even if you store in air tight containers there is possibility of getting bugs formed in it.So I think you can store air tight container in fridge not necessarily freezer.I store it in paper bags sealed in fridge.

1 person likes this.
  3. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

For Flours , keep it in paper bag , than keep it in fridge..
    For pulses , u can sun dry once in a week , so there wont be bugs..

1 person likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@karanu since i don't sprout these for regular use i usually just roast them a little ..not too much..to reduce any moisture and store in airtight containers. i keep using the same for 6 months..nothing happens. i ensure it is always dry, no contamination. only thing i ensure is get the ones that are having a greater expiry date.

processed little millets just store well without any issues in glass jars or airtight bottles for months. i have proso millet that is almost 6 months old.. it is holding good.

barley that i buy in the local store tends to get these black bugs..i just roast it a little.

sooji i roast it well. vermicelli i roast the whole lot. is very helpful when i am in a rush.

If i need to store for more days, then paper bags or aluminium zip lock bags in the freezer.

1 person likes this.
  5. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

@shanvy mam, thanks....dry roasting is a good idea for pulses and grains. Will try it out.

How to store flours like besan, rice flour, millet flours etc? I find that over time, they get some form of lumps, if kept outside.

6. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

I microwave for few seconds all pulses dal and few spices too.. Planning on doing the same for flours.. First time in so many years of marriage iI found bugs in atta (i get the flour made in the mill)!!

Can't keep in the sun as lots of pigeons around.. Always gutargu going on in the balcony/window!!

7. arunima22

arunima22 Bronze IL'ite

Keeping some cloves in aata and other flours will help with the bugs... it worked for me

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

karanu,

i believe making just 1 kg or 1/2 kg flour if i am not using them at least twice a week.

i mill 4 kgs of multigrain atta and 2kgs of whole wheat atta and they remain good for 2/3 months depending on the usage..i just ensure there is no moisture in the wheat. i grind a little rice in the begging for making kolam so that there will not be any contaminants from the mill too..(paranoia) and grind them..allow them to cool well and then close the lid. use a spoon or measuring cup. exclusive in them..

i don't do much other than that.. i think, they need to be maintained at the same temp. the problem happens when there are too many mix match. like hot-cold-hot..that could be a great breeding grounds..

i don't like roasted flavors in all my flours.. i roast the porridge mixes well..so well that you can just eat it them with some powdered jaggery. the rest only just heat...

1 person likes this.
  9. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

It's always better to buy such perishable groceries in small quantities depending on usage...U can try storing these pulses in stainless steel containers in the fridge if u dont like plastic containers..The idea of paper bag is also good, but make sure the paper bag doesnt get wet.

10. succhi

succhi Silver IL'ite

hi
    for the pulses,you can buy very small quantities and keep them in air tight containers outside.or you can sun dry them until they became very much dry,say about two days continuously and store in glass jars.
    for the flours,open the packet and seal them again tightly so that its free from moisture.or else transfer the flour into a closed container and use as needed.
    if storing the pulses in fridge,you can store them in air tight boxes,of food grade material with a seal able lid,and store outside the freezer only.