1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Why Indian ladies gain weight in the US?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by pooja, Jan 21, 2007.

1. pooja

pooja New IL'ite

Hello Friends,

The other day, I was thinking to myself as to why it is easy to gain weight in the US. I start jotting down a few points and I wanted to share it with this community. Other ladies can add to this list. The more we are aware of the drivers of weight gain, the more we will avoid it.

#1. Cheap Food - Relative to income, food is pretty inexpensive in the US. KFC chicken popcorn costs just $.99! That makes us to buy and consume a whole lot of food.

#2. Big Portion Sizes - Even the normal portion sizes in many US restaurants can feed 1 1/2 to 2 persons.

#3. Variety of Cuisine and Restaurants - It is hard to find a decent sized city in the US that doesn't have Indian, Chinese, Thai, Italian, Mexican, Mediterranean, Vietnamese, American food.

#4. Access & Convenience - More than in India, access to food is so easy. Just hop on a car and drive 5 miles, you are in a strip mall that has every type of food that you would crave for. Walk down the aisle in your office and you have a vending machine! Denny's is open 24 hours!

#5. Soda instead of water - Soda has become the defacto water in all restaurants. The first thing they ask is "What would you like to drink?". In India, they would just keep water without even asking. Over time, we find out it is actually better to have a Soda with a Burrito!!

#6. Insanely low cost of upsells - Super size it for just 15 cents more! It is hard to resist such a good deal. We buy thinking we can always throw the extra portion away, but after buying, we don't want to waste it and empty it into the garbage bin called stomach.

#7. Tasty snacks - Given how hard food companies compete, it churns out a variety of very tasty snacks (who would hate Cheetos? mmm.. Yummy!). There is an army of employees in companies come into work everyday with the soul goal of breaking our will power.

#8. Packaged and processed foods - Given our lifestyles, food is sold in ways that it can be easily packed, transported and stored. Hence, the fridge is always stuffed with good food. It needs only a minor temptation to dig in! Also, processed foods is more fattening than the natural foods that we mostly consume in India.

#9. Icecreams and Pastries - The people who make icecreams and pastries (rich in sugar and fat) know how to make them sooooo good! It is their life's calling! Who doesn't want a scoop of marble slab icecream?

#10. Comfort (as a result of opulance) - Escalators everywhere, sedentary work, cars to even the nearby grocery shopping etc has all but eliminated physical activity.

#11. Weather - When it is cold, you don't want to go outside. You want to stay at home, watch TV and munch!

#12. Marketing in the blood! - US is a marketing genius! Tempting advertisments, eye-catching instore merchandizing of snacks, cookies and pastries, "conveniently" located near check-out counters provide us the "opportunity" to shop.

Amidst 2% milk, fat-free foods, ubiquitous gym etc, we seem to still gain weight!. In US, we can resist anything but temptation!

Pooja

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
    3 people like this.

2. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Dear Pooja,

Nice post, but i would like to add some points which are important too.

#13. Job-Most of the the indian women's living in abroad do job. Due to workload ladies gets tired & they have no other option to eat junk food, whereas in India we have servants & our family (in-laws etc), who provide us help in our cooking etc.

#14. Responsibility in every Field-Whether it's home or office, ladies have more responsibilies then in India. We have to do all house work+office work. So we don't get much time for our outlook, for exercises & for healthy food too.

I think we should consider these facts too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

stress?

#15. Stress

It is evident that women gain more weight living in cold countries like US, Europe etc. All factors mentioned by Pooja and Cheer factor in a lot. Stress is an equally important factor. Life in US or Europe is definitely more comfortable physically, but the level of stress is higher. Especially for women who work at home, in office and manage children.

Stress could add to weight gain and life style diseases. When stressed the body secretes more cortisol which causes the mid riff to accumulate. Stress also causes metabolism to slow down. Further when stressed out, some turn to defensive eating which directly leads to weight gain.All leading to more weight gain.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  4. Mitra

Mitra Senior IL'ite

HI Pooja & Vidya

HI guyz...

You were absolutely right about all the things you mentioned.We all need to find some solution for this or else one day we will find ourselfs unrecognisable .

Cheers,

Mitra

5. jigyasa

jigyasa New IL'ite

I think one other reason we gain weight is also that we do not go to the gym regularly. From my experience, it is so easy to put on weight but so difficult to lose it! But I never went to gym in India so I am not used to that concept and now that I am full time housewife (or home manager ;) ) , I just have no motivation to go out and workout.....but I would do it if I find someone to give me company I think....

Cheers,

~ Jigyasa

6. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the original post for the methodical analysis of weight.

As somebody as who has gone through ups and downs of chasing an ideal weight, I have noticed that it is a question of self discipline and lifestyle control. Once we get started on these paths, it is easy to discover the many facilities that an American lifestyle offers for health and fitness. In a way American lifestyle is like an Aladdin's lamp. It can give you whatever you ask for good or bad.

For starters, start reading a magazine like women's health or women's fitness regularly.

Regards
    Vidya

7. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

Hi all.,
    Its a very good discussion & good going.
    I support Pooja,cheer & Vidya.
    At the same time I Support Vmur Also.

Gaining/loosing weight in US or in India its Purely depends of Self decipline & control.
    Of course if we don't have harmonal problems & other health probs.

In last winter I gained weight, when I realised that, I changed my eating habits a bit & Now I am doing brisk walking at home only(in our apt itself).
    & I am avoiding sitting in Sofas & started sitting on Floor.
    & I generally used to clean kitchen floor by bending.
    In Summer I did brisk walk fivedays a week for 2 miles.
    & I lost my extra weight.
    & Now I am perfect.

But I am not on Diet.

we need to know all our IL opnions. Keep this thread alive.
    Thanku All
    Bye :wave

8. Mitra

Mitra Senior IL'ite

Dear pooja ,Vidya and Sundari

You all are were loosing weight all needs self disciple and control on our mind. I am also trying to loose weight and intially found it very difficult but later i searched net on different food habits to acheive that.I also joined gym and started some good healthy habits like

1. Having breakfast.
    2. Eating for every 3 hours ..
    3. Eating more veges and fruits in my diet .
    4. Eating before 8 pm .

hope this will help you all..............

Cheers
    Mitra

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2007
  9. pooja

pooja New IL'ite

10. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I agree self decipline and control over food are the essential ingredients for keeping Ideal weight. Last winter,specifically during Halloween and Christmas times, I gained 4-5 lbs. Presently, I am trying to loose weight.

Daily I am working on Trdaemill,stepper and cycling. However, I am not loosing any weight still now. I am thinking of cutting down rice and starting rotis. Is anyone has experienced not loosing weight eventhough u worked out 5 days a week? I am facing this problem and don't know what to do to reduce weight. Please suggest something.

Regards
    srilak.