1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My son's heamoglobin count

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by dhivya rangarajan, Aug 14, 2015.

1. dhivya rangarajan

dhivya rangarajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Moms,
    My sons is 4.6 years old. He was falling sick quit often with fevers and infections.
    Doc ordered a blood and urine test. His Haemoglobin was very low, 6.2 as against the average requirement of 12-14. Doc has ordered a peripheral smear test for blood and a stool test, after advising that the most common reason for such low count would be worms.
    Now, the problem comes in from my husband. He is extremely headstrong and stubborn. He has asked me to stop those repeated doc visits and not do any more tests. He is a person who believes that
    1. All docs are extremely commercial
    2. Natural ways of rectifying illness thru food are the best
    3. Medicines weaken the body and are a waste
    4. I am weak and succumb to pressures from anybody without giving much thought, which is mildly true.
    He has told me not to do the smear test and stool test. He ha taken a meal plan to include iron rich foods and believes his Hb will improve in a month.

Now, my worry is, as I googled, I found that Hb, Iron low absorption may be due to diabetes, kidney problems or colon cancer! I am worried sick that I may overlook a underlying serious problem by not taking the smear test now.

Please advise what is the best course of action w.r.t
    1. my son's health and the doc's advise
    2. my husband's take on the doctor
    3. How I can do things in the best possible way

Looking forward to your inputs...

2. ashwinid01

ashwinid01 Gold IL'ite

6.2 is definitely very low count. I personally feel External supplemets will be required apart from food too.
    I would say only food supplements would help may be when HB count is 9.5-10,but certainly not 6.2.

I dont know about the peripheral smear test dear.. So cant advice on that. If you or your DH feels doctor is incorrect please take second opinion but dont ignore.

Don't try to google much. As it is always extreme results mentioned. These days any symptom or condition you google for shows very serious diseases. So for your sanity and peace of mind,don't google.

And in general try to find a doctor whom you can trust upon.

Lastly don't ignore the HB count,it sounds low.
    Take care dear.
    Keep updated.

1 person likes this.
  3. easy

easy Gold IL'ite

hi dhivya, hopefully there may not be any cause of worry. but better to get him checked with a hematologist and also his kidney function.
    so pl check and rule it out keep a tab on the blood urea and creatinin levels if verything is normal .then it could be just his eating habits and nutrition

My prayers for your Son's quick recovery and good health

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

Dhivya, yes the hemoglobin level is very low. Most common cause is nutrition and worm infestation. Peripheral smear and stool tests are most simple and helpful in diagnosing. First do them and consult your pediatrician. Hemoglobin level is very important for him during growing age, immunity and for his learning capacity. Don't ignore. Simple iron therapy can go a long way.
    Good luck

1 person likes this.
  5. dhivya rangarajan

dhivya rangarajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear friends,
    Thanks a lot for your replies. Very helpful.
    I have started a high Iron diet regimen for him from the weekend. Also, for daily basis, I am including a lot of foods that are high in Iron.
    As suggested by doc as well as here, I will also include a Iron tonic and sit tight for a month. (No googling) ..
    In between if he gets a fever, I will immediately get the smear test done.
    Thank you once again for the wonderful and clear advise, friends...
    Have a great day...
    I am feeling much better :) :)

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Dhivya While it is good that you are giving him an iron rich food to increase his hb count, please ensure that you don't overdo it. There is a daily value for iron for a kid too. Too much iron can make a person sick.

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Are you compelled to listen to your husband's advice, regardless of how dangerous is that?
    I mean, your son is sick, his doctor advises some testing based on his low Hb count.

Leave the google thing. Just follow what your doctor has advised to see whether further testing is needed.
    If you are not convinced with this doctor, then change to a new one.

In the meantime, you may include iron rich food, and other life style changes.

Don't ignore the test, and overlook any underlying problems. They can be solved much easily if you could identify them at the right time.