1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

how to make coconut oil at home?

Discussion in 'Nature Cure' started by decentreader, Aug 7, 2015.

1. decentreader

decentreader Silver IL'ite

Hello all ladies here ,I am searching for a coconut oil making reccipe ,can any one help me ?Did any one ever try it at home?
    I need a recipe of making coconut oil at home .Please some one help ,can we make it with dried coconut too?

2. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

I dont think we can make coconut oil at home - I have never seen anyone doing it. In my hometown, the coconut is dried in the sun and then taken to a mil where the dried coconut is squeezed in a machine to extract the oil. Again, I am not sure if it is possible to make it at home - I havent heard anyone doing it in my homestate I could be wrong.

Another method we use to extract oil for babies was from coconut milk. Scrape fresh coconut, put the grate in a blender and beat it into a mash. Then squeeze it and extract teh coconut milk (you can use a cloth as a sieve too). Repeat the process a couple of times . Once you have the coconut milk, put it in a "kadai" or a thick bottomed vessel on a low flame and pour the coconut milk in it. Keep stirring - till the oil separates out. You have to stir for quite a long time and once you have the oil separated out at the top, scoop it out and use for hair and skin. (this oil is usually not used for cooking, but I dont think there is a problem in using it).

3 people like this.
  3. decentreader

decentreader Silver IL'ite

Thank you Gauri for such a detailed answer ,I think the way of getting oil for babies is applicable and I dont want it for cooking .Thanks again

4. anupartha

anupartha Gold IL'ite

You can make coconut oil from fresh coconuts also. But its cumbersome and the resulting quantity is very small compared to the amount of labor you spend on it.
    Chk this youtube for step by step instruction.
    Good luck.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg63PBnlGAU

5. pinkytyagi92

pinkytyagi92 Bronze IL'ite

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You should be careful while making coconut oil for babies from coconut milk. If the oil is under cooked the babies don't sleep well. If it is over done apparently they can get a cold. You need to turn the heat off exactly when the residue turns golden brown, not too light or not dark brown. My mom says this, not sure how true it is but I didn't want to take a chance with under cooked oil!