1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about sex? How to talk about it to your child?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by JustAni, Oct 30, 2008.

1. ramyagiri

ramyagiri Bronze IL'ite

Re: Talking to kids about sex!...when and how?

Thanks Latha!

2. moonriver

moonriver Junior IL'ite

Re: sex education for kids!

I think FB says it's okay if the kids are 13 and above. I checked it a month or so ago because some kids I know are there. I think MySpace says it's 18. It's not good because kids are so naive about privacy settings. I could see what the kids had on the page and I ended up friending the one kid who's closest to us because her mom has no clue about Internet stuff.

Ramya, I don't know if you said you had a Facebook account. If not, I'll suggest that you open an account, list yourself as his friend and make sure his friends also know that. Kids that age are likely to be less foul-mouthed to their friends, if they know a grown-up is watching their conversation. That way, at least your son's page won't have that kind of language.

3. ramyagiri

ramyagiri Bronze IL'ite

Hi moonriver,

yes i do have FB account and also added as my sons friend. even then kids are in their own world. they dont bother abt such things i guess.

anyways, this is only to highlight for parents to keep an eye on their kids as most parents are working!

4. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    recently, my friend celebrated her son's 11th b'day.she wanted to talk to him about birds & bees but was feeling awakward.so she wrote him a letter telling him the basic .well,the boy did not ackmowledge the letter for long time but recently asked his mother about HIV so she got an idea that he has been thinking about the letter content.she did manage to talk little more on the topic.she said' i was very embrassed but later relieved to have dealt with it.
    pragati

5. shilpakumari

shilpakumari New IL'ite

Breasts and vulvas come in many different shapes and sizes. It's normal for your vulva to have a particular smell. The vagina produces fluid (discharge) that can be white or clear. If you have any concerns about your vulva, vagina, or breasts, talk with an adult you trust.

6. MumsWorld

MumsWorld New IL'ite

I am myself hunting for ways to talk to DD. she will soon turn 11 but I haven't yet been able to talk about puberty and periods to her. I keep hinting her and sharing about visible physical changes though which has begun in her. Im not sure how to talk about periods and related sex and boy topics so as it doesn't create unnecessary curiosity in her mind. She is least interested in such topics or talk about boys even.