1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to Calgary- Suggestions Welcome

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by spari, Jul 11, 2015.

1. spari

spari Senior IL'ite

Hello Ladies :),
    We are relocating to Calgary in Sep' 15 from Seattle for 1 year or so and prefer to stay with good indian community and would like to make new friends.I have 6yr old son. My husband will be working in Calgary downtown (on work visa) sometimes and mostly doing remote-job, so location is not constraint for now. Mainly looking for community which has access to good schools and after school activities. How friendly are the communities in Calgary?

Please suggest

1. Any Good apartment communities in Calgary. It seems most prefer NW Calgary ?
    2. Is Edmonton/Calgary preferred for new job search ?
    2. Any Good Public elementary schools in NW Calgary or other? Also looking for after school activities like kumon, swimming and tamil classes.
    3. Any idea what would 2B/2B apartment/condo rental would cost ?
    4. Are there any Tamil Language classes/schools offered weekend ?
    5. We are planning to enter Calgary by road and we will be driving from Seattle. Does anyone have experience do so from US ?
    6. Any Good Family Medical Clinics , pediatrics dentist ?
    7. Any Good Indian grocery stores ?

Appreciate your response!

Thanks a lot!!
    :hatsoff

2. NAYA

NAYA Senior IL'ite

Hi Spari,
    Welcome to Calgary, NW area is very good for schools and also for your husband to commute to downtown through transit as parking is very expensive in downtown ,if the employer is providing parking facility then you can look for house any where, Calgary is expensive for rental compare to US as we lived in US for 5 years and I can see the difference ,this year pretty good to find the house or apartment for rental as here job market is down now and people are moving out of calgary ,as in 2013 when we moved to calgary we faced a problem to find a house as we want only in NW area.
    Public schools elementary education comparing to US is entirely different , US is the best , but in Canada elementary school education is not up to the mark as my kids are in so my kids goes for extra Math and English classes which is expensive. Regarding Kumon here my feed back is negative as my kids attended 1 month and we were not happy so discontinued there.
    NE area is more of Indian community , Indian grocery stores, Indian restaurants ,and also lot of other countries people (immigrants) and there is lot crime rate, you can get rental property for less compared to other areas.
    I suggest to look on internet for apartment or a house at 4 street NW area, 14 street NW ,Cambrian Heights NW area, North mount area,Communities will be Highwood Community, Mount Pleasant, HighLand
    You can find condos or apartments in Downtown itself which is safe not to worry as one of my friend lives with her husband in downtown, but they are expensive.
    Come prepare for winter as here lot of snow and cold and for winter clothes here are very expensive ,so better get from Seattle itself, get good quality of glouses, jackets, snow boats for your child and to you also .
    Snow fall and cold will be high compared to US.
    Hope I answered some of your questions good luck !

Thanks
    NAYA

3. spari

spari Senior IL'ite

Hi Naya,
    Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions. Really Nice to see your response and it gave some hope. Seems Winter is going to be really challenging for us.

I was initially surprised to see most schools( alberta schools)in calgary with ratings above 9 and was bit relaxed that schools would be really good.
    Frankly after hearing your insight, im kind of concerned now. Can you suggest some good ones from the link. Are the reviews really genuine?
    so where do you send kids for extra math/language classes ?

How good are private schools in Calgary ? I'm not really interested in sending to private school, but just like to know.

Thanks a lot,
    spari