Recipes with rice flour?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by karanu, Jul 8, 2015.

1. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

I have a 1 kg pack of rice flour (regular one, not the processed variety we use for kozhukkattais or savories). Apart from thickening sambhar and in rava dosas, not sure where else I can put the rice flour to good use. Please share some ideas.

2. Prachi.B

Prachi.B Bronze IL'ite

You can make make rice flour's ghavan( its marathi word).

To make ghavan ingredients required are just rice flour, water, salt and water.
    Mix in rice flour water as per the consistency and salt for taste. Make smooth water dont add too much water. Now take a tava spread oil and then pour the rice flour batter. Even the batter should not be thick like dosa batter.
    Heat it from both side. Serve it with cutney or potato bhaji or sambar.

Also you can make udakiche modak and bhakari with rice flour.

I hope this helps you.

If i remember still more i may update you.

1 person likes this.
  3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I keep rice flour on hand for making veg pancakes.....one part rice flour and three parts besan. Make a batter halfway between medium and thick. Add chili powder and cumin powder. Mix in veg: coarsely grated zucchini or finely grated carrot work well.

1 person likes this.
  4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

@karanu

If dosa batter becomes a bit sour, you can add this rice flour and make dosas.

You can make a dosa with 1 part wheat flour (or maida), 1 part rice flour - soak in curd overnight (6 hours in warm place) - add green chillies, onions and ginger - should be a thick batter - dont add water - make thick soft bun-like dosas.

A quick/instant cutlet -

Grate bottle gourd (or cucumber/ ridgegourd/cabbage/finely chopped greens/ combination)
    Add salt, haldi, red chilli powder, handful ajwain, handful til

Let stand till the salt helps water to ooze out of the grated vegetable. (5-10 minutes)

Don't add any extra water : Add enough rice flour to this to make a soft but firm mix. Add more salt, chilli, masalas if required.

Make thin cutlets with hand and roast on dosa pan on both sides.

Enjoy with tomato sauce or chutney - as breakfast or snacks.

Eat hot or warm - you can reheat this but dont eat cold - it will become soggy!

1 person likes this.
  5. mbharani

mbharani Gold IL'ite

6. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

Hi.You can make Rice and pumpkin thalipeeth too.For this in a bowl just mix grated pumpkin,salt,crushed green chillies,cumin seeds and mix well.Then add rice flour aas required and mix well.Do not add water.Make small thalipeeth (kinda akki roti with a small hole in the centre).Cook it on a pan by adding oil from the sides.Flip and cook again.Serve with curds.

2 people like this.
  7. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

@Armaity25 loved your rice flour recipe very much. Please explain it well with correct proportion.
    Which pumpkin have you suggested, white or the yellow one?

1 person likes this.
  8. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

Hi Gayathri...thanks a lot and glad you liked the recipe.You can use any pumpkin but we use the yellow one.Well the proportions would be for 1 cup grated yellow pumpkin approximately you need 1/2 cup rice flour.But you need to adjust depending on the water content in the pumpkin.Instead of pumpkin you can use sweet potato or any other vegetable of your choice.Also instead of grating sometimes I just cook the pumpkin pieces in the microwave and once they are cool enough,mash them and use in the thalipeeth as its quicker.However,grated pumpkin thalipeeth tastes much better.

@Karanu Here are some more ideas with rice flour.
    Kayloli-Mix rice flour,onions finely chopped,green chillies,salt and water and mix well.Make dosas as usual.
    Tandalachi bhakri-Mix ingredients as for Kayloli.Add grated coconut.Add a little water.Keep this batter thick.Make thick uttappam kinda bhakris.
    Kachrya-Slice any vegetable of your choice like potato,brinjal,snake gourd,onions,bitter gourd,pumpkin,bottle gourd,etc.You can even use paneer,mushroom,bhindi,drumstick,etc...just chop them into pieces.Apply salt,red chilli powder and turmeric.Roll it in rice flour and shallow fry.Same can be done with fish.

2 people like this.
  9. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

hey folks one At home we just call it rice marble fry
    All i do is cook rice flour like we do for kozhakatai add mirhi powder / jeera powder /finely chopped dhania and mix all to make a dough no need of extra water make small marbles like we do for sheede
    give chounk with a little oil/ jeera/mustard put thes rice dough marbles and fry till golden brown and have as a snack with chai or coffee !!!

2 people like this.