Basic Dishes (Maharastra) Every Wife Should Know?

Discussion in 'NonVegetarian Kitchen' started by Mezy, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Mezy

Mezy New IL'ite

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that you can help me with some dishes and recipes. I am not Indian but I am marrying into an Indian family. I already know some dishes like Chicken Vinadaloo and Kolambi Masala, but can anyone tell me some dishes that are "staples" or typically cooked in a Maharastran home? My soon-to-be husbands family comes from Mumbai and Ratnagiri. Even if you dont know any recipes and just the names would be a great help.

Thank you for the help in advance.

2. mimmyme

mimmyme Gold IL'ite

Hello Mezy,

First dish comes to my mind is raw jackfruit veggie....they have jackfruit trees everywhere in konkan...

3. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

Hi Mezy,

Here are some basic Maharashtrian dishes which are pretty simple to whip up and are usually the beginner's choice when learning about Maharashtrian especially Konkani food.Hope you find it helpful.

1) Varan-Cook lentil of your choice with cumin seeds and asafoetida till soft.Add salt and turmeric powder and mix well.Cook again for a while.This is served in religious functions with steamed rice along with the other components of the thali.

2) Sol kadhi-In a bowl add some dried kokum (a sour fruit grown in Ratnagiri and the Konkan belt) washed.Add some salt and let it rest for 10 minutes.Since the kokum I have,do not have a hint of moisture unlike the ones in India,I shove them in the microwave with some water for 2-3 minutes till they get a good colour.Allow it to cool completely.Add a slit green chilly and coconut milk and mix well.Garnish with coriander.

3) Kala Vatana Usal-You can use any pulse that is available such as moong(green gram),matki(moth beans),green peas,chickpeas-white or brown,etc.

4) Sheera-This is made from semolina and is a dessert.Again common in most religious functions.

5) Ghavan-This is kind of a crepe made from rice flour.Served with chutney or sweetened coconut milk.

If there is any recipe or any links of some good websites you need for the same,let me know.I would be happy to help.

4. Prachi.B

Prachi.B Bronze IL'ite

Hi Mezy,

Some of the basic maharashtrian recipes are Puran Poli, Kande Pohe, Sheera, Misal Pav, Thalipeeth, Tomato Saar ( Tomato Curry), Bhakari ( Roti ) and still more.

Will let you know other recipes soon.

You can also visit Simple, Easy and Quick Indian Recipe videos by Madhura she makes maharashtrian recipes as well as others even their are videos.

I hope this may help you.

1 person likes this.
  5. HakunaMatata

HakunaMatata Gold IL'ite

6. sugarnspice

sugarnspice Bronze IL'ite

Try "onehotstove" The lady that runs it has loads of Maharashtrian dishes. And they are very tasty.