1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are people still demanding dowry todayin your community?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by msindu, Jun 28, 2015.

1. msindu

msindu Bronze IL'ite

or is inheritance the norm as women are now allowed to inherit property after parents death? Dowry is when money is given at marriage.

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I am not an Indian.. Live in Sri Lanka.

In my community, dowry is something demanded, but it is not always the key to enter into a wedlock.

There are people, who are ready to supply any amount of dowry to get their favourite grooms profile. When such demand and supply of dowry meets, the marriage happens.

Now a days, women are grown to be stand of their feet and view a man's profile beyond his educational or employment records. Parents have grown up to be practical to leave the cast and community matters aside while looking for alliance. This has pushed the dowry donkey to the back seat in the metros. However, regardless of education and maturity, there are people who still view a monkey from a high caste is much better than a gem from a low cast. Such people will be always ready to give anything to meet that monkey's or donkey's expectation.

Nevertheless, female kids always had equal rights to inherit their parents' properties. But basically, the parents decide which kid receive what, and how much. It is not always the same among each kids.

Mainly, the daughters inherit any immovable properties such as houses. That will enable them to live independent from their in laws. Sons will receive the business, shares or some lands. Its is the trend, mainly to help daughters as they are the usual victims of violence.

1 person likes this.
  3. pinky21

pinky21 Gold IL'ite

It is of course a key factor in almost all communities in Tamilnadu specially in the affluent class families. these ppl out here on both the brides and grooms side think dowry as factor to prove their financial affluence in the society.

4. A75

A75 New IL'ite

Both the groom and bride side are asking for share of property prior to marriage it self . Though they inherit it way afterwards everyone is asking it prior to marriage itself

5. msindu

msindu Bronze IL'ite

But is it really dowry? Both sides are expecting how much each side has right? It is not like they are expecting the woman to write it in their names. It will stay with her and then go to her children.

6. maleficent

maleficent Silver IL'ite

If both boy's and girl's parents give or agree to give property to their children then I don't think it's dowry (if it's one sided then definitely it is) but expecting property from parents is disgusting. Inheritance is a privilege not a right IMO.

7. Grihani

Grihani Gold IL'ite

Is there any marriage where the groom side also chip in to share the wedding expenses? If not, that itself is like Dowry.

1 person likes this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

That is disgusting behavior from who so ever does that.
    Parents property should be theirs till the day they are alive .They have the right to decide what they want to do with it.Inherited property should be devided between heirs after the death of the parents.

It is disgusting to see people act like vultures hovering over parents property liike this. Shame less people.

4 people like this.
  9. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

In my community girl side family used to do all marriage related expenses.Now a days trend is shifting,my wedding and in few of my cousins marriages expense was share 50/50.

10. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

My parents (I know my bro gave money to my dad when he was working abroad, that money is used for my wedding), I wanted my wedding to be simple but it didn't happen. And I couldn't pay as I was not established my self that time. But later when I started earning, after several years of marriage I gave back money to my parents, by letting my dh know about it.

1 person likes this.