How do YOU keep your kitchen always ready ?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by hrastro, May 25, 2015.

1. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

@hrastro
    your pictures of the dabbas is very impressive. You come across as a very enthusiastic and industrious cook dedicated to serving varieties to her family:)

2 comments about the pictures jumped out at me. Please dont take it wrongly.

1. Use of plastic. Please try to migrate to glass and steel storage containers as opposed to plastic. It may take a while but it is healthier for yor family in the long run.
    2. labels on lids as opposed to jars. This caused problems for me when once in a cooking frenzy I opened a bunch of containers and later when putting them all away mixed up the lids! :)

2 people like this.
  2. Suprajah

Suprajah Senior IL'ite

@gitasharma take care . I am amazed, you were working 12hrs for 40+ yrs!!! kneesmiley:Bow:
    @hrastro and @gitasharma don't get me wrong, but how do you store so many things in fridge, whats your fridge capacity? :)

My fridge overflows with dosa batter, chutneys, atta, rava, semiya etc...

1 person likes this.
  3. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

Hai Suprajah
    I have 2 frigs the biggest size
    One is for veg/ milk /milk products dosa /idli/ atta then wet masalas
    The other one is for fruits /flowers/ rawa/ maida / etc.
    all powders are kept in kitchen itself .
    Also I need to regularly check and replinish clean up There is a note book I maintain My mil used to say I run my kitcen like my lab !!!

Dear Hrastro
    Yes My family and friends enjoy my hosting
    The labels are on the body of the container written with marker ink and a transparent tape.Yes things in the pantry are in glass or steel dubbas.
    In frig and freezer i Use good quality ones or veg in zip lock etc.
    sure Iwill take care thanks for the concern.
    you too seem to me like an organised person.doing multiple activities

Thepla mix

I make theplas with either methi/or grated louki
    Clean wash drain methi leaves/ grate louki mix salt and leave it for some time so the water separates out.
    In a bowl take atta. ( 3 cups ) add salt, haldi 1 tsp. ajwain 1 tsp,mirchipowder1 tsp jeera powder.1 tsp. 2-3 tsp of thil mix well easier when dry

Then take a cup of gingily oil and mix it . Now add methi leaves/or grated louki without water.Mix well
    Now add the water that louki has exuded little by little or in case of methi water and knead the dough.a little hard
    add a little more oil and mix well.
    store in air tight box yes steel tiffin and keep in frig.
    Whenever u wish to use take out some keep it out for some time to thaw to room temp . rollout and cook on tawa while brushing with an oily spoon.
    It has been a great rescue to me when I travel specially to Europe I pack 25 -30 and take either lemon pickle /stuffed mirchi/dhaniya chutney.
    buy yogurt/ fruits and my dinner is done.
    till 4yrs ago I use to travel a lot may be 20 days a month.
    Now recipe for pulihora .I make tamarind as well as tomato
    Tamarind pulikachal
    about 100 gms tamarind soak well and extract juice and keep aside.I usually microwave tamarind in a little water for 1 min cool add regular water and extract juice. and keep aside.
    If its tomato 1/2 kg and make purre and set aside
    Clean dried red chillies 10- 15 depending on threshold of karam
    clean fresh green chillies , wash drain /air it Slit it in long peices
    Keep curry patha a full bunch 9a small katora)
    keep Thil powder/ rai powder handy/peanuts
    In heavy bottom non stick pan add a cup of oil and keep on flame medium
    add mustard seeds, channa dhal udath dahal peanuts haldi hing in that order.curry patha add the tamarind extract or tomato puree salt let it boil till oil is released add 2 table spoons of thil powder let it simmer
    take off the stove cool bottle and store.
    In andhra pradesh we also add mustard powder a teaspoon just to give a kick.
    so when ever you wish to use make steamed rice spread it out onto a basin or steel thambalam add mustard powder a little hot oil thadka
    add puli kachal mix and let it sit for a while may be 30 mins a little longer is better.
    serve with any raita / vadam.
    hope its clear
    do make it and let me know how you liked it.
    bon appetite mademoiselle !!!

1 person likes this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Hats off to you @gitasharma like @hrastro you are also great, thanks for sharing

1 person likes this.
  5. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

I have been pretty much in bed all day just got up a while ago my co sis & bil called long distance and she wanted some info so took my laptop and my net ,I did not tell her I was unwell staying so far they get over concerned .so once i was up logged into ILs and there I go
    Had Idli for breakfast my neice lives close by she sent curry and dhal .husband made rice and all fine Ive been on fluids
    Iam much better

1 person likes this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Sorry to know @gitasharma dear that you are not well, all the best to get well soon and share your recipies

1 person likes this.
  7. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Wow !! @gitasharma - loved your ideas :)

Thankyou for the thepla and pulikachal mix recipes !!

2 fridges !!! Runs kitchen like a lab :) Wow ! You must have a lot of ideas for home and kitchen and time organization... do share! (No hurry, whenever you have time)
    Praying for your good health !

@suprajah - till 2 months back, I had a 160 liter fridge - the chotu kelvinator !
    I managed to have space for all my things by keeping vegetables and idli/dosa batters in rotation. Also, I used square dabbas that can be stacked - so it was an extremely efficient use of space.

And I used to buy rava, semia etc and roast them in bulk and store in airtight dabbas in the cupboards, not fridge.

Now 2 months back we bought a 400 liter fridge - I have more space now and more freezer space too. I still use the square stackable dabbas, and have more varieties in the freezer!
    Hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  8. Suprajah

Suprajah Senior IL'ite

@gitasharma 2 fridges, kitchen lab...he he...
    @hrastro really 160 ltrs fridge till 2months back!! should learn planning, storing things from you!!.

I have another doubt, green peas I deshell and keep in stainless steel containers, they are air tight but still when I open I can see some frost inside them. If we store in ziplocs will it be fine?

9. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

hai yes I keep all the beans that is peas/thuvar dana mocha kote/ avarakai seeds etc all in zip lock bags .yes there is some frost but just defrost & use .I make small aliquotes of approx my one use & take out only 1 -2 depending on my need.
    My driver rests all day in car so I get him deshell them . I keep using these seeds to make curries atleast 2 x a week.may be avial type/kutu or with onion tomato gravy
    I also use these to make shundal which serves as a snack with tea wen I come back from work I just sprinkle some chat masala/kala namak/mirch powder /jeera powder whichever I feel like sometimes a little sev/ boondi etc so Variations of shundal and bhel mix & match .U may also add pomogranate seeds.
    It all started as more people than stuff to go around so just put every thing together N every one liked so as I grewup became a hit. I make shundal with peanuts /corn kernels and all seeds Rajma too.
    hope its useful.

10. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

Thas why labelling always on the body of dabbaor patient sample or will give out a report stating xxx /male aged 38 / pregnant !!!.Rule one label on the container body.
    take out all material required to be added and as you have finished adding move it to another side .in the lab the instruction is keep one place free and keep moving as addition done
    also its a nice idea if you have multiple bags of same stuff .Make the following chart for eg:
    [TABLE="width: 640"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 64"]Peas[/TD]
    [TD="width: 64, align: right"]1[/TD]
    [TD="width: 64, align: right"]2[/TD]
    [TD="width: 64, align: right"]3[/TD]
    [TD="width: 64, align: right"]4[/TD]
    [TD="width: 64, align: right"]5[/TD]
    [TD="width: 64, align: right"]6[/TD]
    [TD="width: 64, align: right"]7[/TD]
    [TD="width: 64, align: right"]8[/TD]
    [TD="width: 64, align: right"]9[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]peanuts[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]2[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]3[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]4[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]5[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]6[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]7[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]8[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]9[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]rajma[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]2[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]3[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]4[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]5[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]6[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]7[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]8[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]9[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Paste this Xcel sheet on the freezer or you note pad in kitchen
    As you use up one cross it so u know when your stock is nearing the end N u need to plan to replinish.
    In your note pad as the month is coming to an end check on the calender for next month mark important dates : poojas/ parties /bdays etc Make a note of what is to be done what to shop when etc It makes life easier.
    In fact I teach this work organisation to my team mates secretary students friends who are working etc. I make notes for simplest of things that way my life is peaceful
    When my uneducated domestic help was there I wld keep coconut with scraper meaning she has to grate it
    bag with one mirchi/ alu etc with money she has to buy it was a sign language if I were taking an early morning flight and had come home late the earlier day no way I cld get to tell her. so these kind of things are learnt as you go along in life and deep down believe you need to both and not turn around and say well I had to go so what can I do .!!!.so its your attitude if you want to do it you find ways and means.Yes life does not always go so smoothly there may be times one slips another understands .
    yehi tho zindagi hai try and make it as harmonious as you can.when I used to study
    at my moms place we would sit at the dinning table and shell peas/ clean greens roll sheede etc while chattig about the day it was a 2 in 1 affair you can always find togetherness in activities train your kids from childhood that everyone needs to chip in and its fun.
    so long Supraja .hope Im not sounding very matronly.

1 person likes this.