1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breakfast recipes for toddler

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by vidhya2810, Jun 22, 2015.

1. vidhya2810

vidhya2810 Silver IL'ite

Hi IL's my son is 2.6 yrs old he needs breakfast other than idli as he is leaving to school by 8.a.m. please help me with ur suggestions. TIA.

2. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

hi vidhya,

you can try upma, poha, dosa, oothappam, parathas, pongal, adai etc. If he doesn't eat before 8 AM (normal for a kid), pack the breakfast for the snack break at school. My DD at that age wouldn't feel hungry in the mornings. So I would usually give her some fruit at home and pack breakfast for snack break.

3. vidhya2810

vidhya2810 Silver IL'ite

Hi karanu sorry to say als feeling bad about myself as my son eats semi solid foods I mean I give idli mixed with milk also lunch is rasam or sambar rice n dinner milk rice
    in their in 10 mins break they give vada something like that but he wont eat :(

4. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

You can try:
    1. Oatmeal with fresh fruit
    2. Dalia (Broken Wheat Porridge)
    3. Chapati mashed in Dal
    4. Omelette (if you eat eggs)
    5. Mashed Veggies
    6. Upma - can be made watery and given
    7. Will he eat fruits - Banna/Mango/Apple etc ?

5. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

He is 2.5 years, give all what you eat. Chapatis, parathas - cut into pieces , it will be easy and safe for child to eat.

regards,

resmij

6. vidhya2810

vidhya2810 Silver IL'ite

@coool10 Thank you. s he will eat apple banana stil mashing :(
    pls anyone here can give me ideas to make him eat like us
    I wil b very grateful

7. vidhya2810

vidhya2810 Silver IL'ite

it will b easy n safe but he wont

8. SilverNGold

SilverNGold Bronze IL'ite

start with easily dessolvable finger foods; cheerios, goldfish crackers, tiny cut fruits, etc so he can chew super easily. I started my daughter on self feeding those finger foods at 8 months old! Pick a time in the day that he's super hungry, energetic, AND well rested and give him those tiny pieces to self feed. I imagine that since you're in India, he probably goes to bed very late so he is still super tired and sleepy at 7AM when you feed him breakfast so maybe start with the finger foods in the late afternoon when he wakes up from nap or early evening when both his hunger and energy levels are highest. I know it's hard to get to sleep early in India, but if you can aim to lay down with him around 8PM at night (dinner at 6PM) so he'll get his full 10-11 hours of nightly sleep so he'll wake up both hungry and well rested and eat breakfast better. My daughter is now 4 1/2 and wakes up at 6:30AM DEMANDING breakfast each morning! Lucky me that she wants to eat when she wakes up! But the downfall in her routine is that even when we have a late night out and she ends up staying up late like midnight (normally she's asleep between 8:30-9 if she naps and by 8PM if she doesn't nap), she STILL wakes up at 630AM demanding breakfast out of habit! She doesn't always eat that much though but she does eat 3 regular meals and 2 small snacks and I let her decide on the amount. If your son manages to put a cheerio or small piece of fruit in his mouth on his own, praise him and then maybe let him play for a little bit and then you feed him (but don't forcibly feed) him the remainder of the usual "meal" about half an hour later. Slowly make the transition from semi-solid to regular family food and encourage much self feeding as possible. Anyway, good luck to transitioning your kid to finger food!

shifas, vijayacmouli and vidhya2810 like this.
  9. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I used to give porridges (oatmeal, rice or other varieties) as at that age they can eat with a spoon themselves. Put in pieces of fruit or served separately. Sometimes a plate of finger food (fruit, cheese, bread pieces) and a youghurt. If the child is not eating he/she will eat more the next time.

10. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    i assume child is comfortable with idli, so can you try introducing oats idli, rava idli also.

introduce rotis later, after2/3 months. I hope taste, interest change soon or later.

regards,
    resmij