1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My appointment with the Doctor!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 24, 2015.

1. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    After a long time since I visited this site and checked your forum, I was delighted to find a new post! As usual, you were at your hilarious best! Who else could write about a doctor's visit with so light-heartedly?
    My visit to the doctor is rare too, though my family physician stays a stone's throw away from my home. And when I do visit him, and he enquires about my welfare, I respond," How can I be well if I am visiting you! " By God's grace, I do not have to visit my doctor often.
    As regards to cockroaches, I could not get rid of my fear of them, so got rid of them instead!
    Loved your post and had a hearty laugh while my dh was wondering if I had gone berserk early in the morning!
    Love
    Malathi

1 person likes this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

My dear Cheeniya sir,

Whatte story! No, I don't mean to imply that you are concocting them, just admiring the rippling cadence of humour through your narration! I never fail to get the impression I am reading a piece by our favourite PGW.

How can I blame your BH for failing to accompany you to the doctor on this occasion? Your encounters with the doc never fail to remind me of my mom who after her cataract surgery used to complain about her watering eyes or itching eyes and I would have to take an appointment with the doc 3 weeks ahead of time, after which it would be a drive across town and a wait of 3 hours at the clinic despite all appointments taken. After all this the doc would walk in and ask "How are you Amma"? A beam would light her face and she would reply "I'm fine". Now could you imagine how frustrated and foolish I would feel at that moment in time? When she was admitted to hospital for her hip surgery, the doc walked in the day before the surgery. This lady with the broken fracture sits there with a smile on her face and replies to the standard question "I'm fine thank you, how are you?" The two months she was in hospital, they would come in every morning and ask the same question and she would always reply the same despite her dementia.

Talk of MRIs, you just gave me my answer to a question I have been asking. Of course I have had the 'tunnel experience' that people with NDEs talk about. I never fail to enter the MRI machine, shut my eyes, chanting "Om Nama Shivaya" and somehow or the other I fall into a trance like state where I am aware of my surroundings but never bothered by them and hate it when they come to drag me back to the 'real' world! I have not told anyone about this exprience, lest I get dragged off to the psychiatrist next. Now who is to convince the psychiatrist that it is the so-called 'real world' that needs to be treated and not the ones in so-called 'la la land'.

You never tire of talking about cockroaches, lizards and the like, do you? At home it was dad who did the needful; he got me married so I should have 'purusha tunai' for the rest of my life to protect me ..... and what happens? He probably did not bargain for the fact that many mothers these days get their sons married for the same reason. So here I find myself chasing cockroaches and lizards out of the house (somehow I have lost my violent streak - I used to kill cockroaches earlier). Now I use a wet cloth to catch hold of them and release them back to Nature to whom they rightfully belong. I can't help remembering my dad everytime I do that.

Really good to read such a delightful piece early in the morning.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Meena
    I would have felt elated at your last line if you had not posted your
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/snippets-of-life-non-fiction/272662-documentation-for-dummies.html After reading it, I felt as if I was Bairavan, portrayed by the brilliant Thangavelu, in Kalyana Parisu! I demand the best of ambiance for writing something bordering on humour but you can touch the very peak of humour in a cramped toilet sharing it with three others! Yet I value your words of appreciation as the best I have received. Talking of cherry on the cake, your bringing in the Bard in describing your DH brimming with the milk of human kindness is a bigger cherry on the cake!
    Thank you Meena!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

Dear Malathi
    Your coming in here is like the 'Alankatti mazhai' in the peak of summer! I feel so happy to receive your visit and your lavish appreciation. I always start my discussion with the Doctor with 'Enna Doctor. Sowkyama?' He would respond by saying 'You are the first person to ask a Doctor if he is ok!'

During my school days, we had a family physician by name Krishnamurthy Rao. He had the same problems as my dad and they used to get carried away in their comparison of their ailments and symptoms while I would be waiting with a thermometer stuck in my mouth. Once the Doctor got carried away by my dad's chronic constipation and prescribed a remedy for it in my prescription. Mind you, I was taken there for loose motion. For the next couple of days, it was total mayhem in my house!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  5. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

hey That was an interesting read.On first thoughts I stared listing out ailments : Bp/ heart / etc .only to realize it was more in a lighter vain than of a pathophysiological condition.I know we are so wired the minute the patient says i have such an such feeling .start enlisting conditions.
    now regards getting ready way ahead of time my dad was so too.planning days ahead and since early morning on the day of the event.

6. Cheeniya

My dear Satchi
    It is a great pity that I could never meet your mother while she was spending her last days in Bengaluru. From your description of her visits to the Doctor, I feel that she could be my elder sister! We do not belong to the category that waits for people to ask them 'How are you?' to unburden their weighty problems. I always consider my visits to a Doctor as a social visit. I even asked one of them for a drink in the club and he came! That was an outstanding evening when the Doctor gave us some insight into how Doctors coped with the pressures of having to listen to all the sickness being explained to them in graphic details. It was then I vowed to do my bit to enliven the lives of Doctors to the extent possible!

MRI machines are no better than the Ring Master in a circus putting his head into a lion's mouth. I always keep my fingers crossed if I will continue to be Cheeniya when the machine spits me out or some aborigine in an Australian desert. Though I do not do only such things that will ensure a human life again in my next birth, I know that entering a MRI machine would guarantee that I would continue to be a human form when I come out of it.

Wet cloth to catch a cockroach for its eventual release into wilderness is a good idea. You must have earned the blessings of a million cockroaches so far! I have only people getting transformed as Zulu warriors at the sight of a cockroach. Wet cloth is a softer alternative. I presume the wetness is meant to ensure that the roach is totally immobilised. I have seen my mum dumping cow dung on poorans and other centipedes.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

Hey to you too gita!
    I am glad you found my post interesting. I like this new concept which sounds almost like chicken and egg situation. You think of an imaginary ailment and your symptoms start following in a torrent. Or you think of some symptoms to begin with and the Doctor will give them a name! If the symptoms get firmly embedded in the mind, even the diagnostic tests will make them positive.
    All dads are alike in certain matters. At least all daughters will concur on this point!
    Sri

8. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Almost feel like an accomplished detective when I focus on these sub-plots in the storyline, rotate my head and inquire did anyone notice it? How many of us have visited a doctor's clinic, and walked out to write a humorous and chuckling tale on our medical gest, and published swiftly on blogosphere, leaving out the inescapable & unnatural 3-legged piece of furniture ever designed on which one precariously sits drawing parallels between an elephant in a circus. Yes, that is exactly how I must have felt every time but could not have expressed the discomfort or puzzlement on this armless, headless and spineless fixture as agreeably as you did in that one line. Not to stink filthy but I did wonder on few occasionals, would a metallic rim plump enough to hold the hinds and not create a bas-relief of two chords on fleshy bottom burn the expenses of the medical clinic?

Ask me I'm a woman and a very typical woman who is scared of harmless aphids to obnoxious lizards but did you say cockroach? I was never scared of roaches, hmm, I admire them as tough and grunge creatures labouring in the kitchen digging into middens of domestic waste and if the ant was not slight and the roaches were of paler complexion their illustriousness would have been emblazoned and featured in Aesop's fables as "Tale of Roach and the Grasshopper". I've a distorted notion of several things, so my attestation of roaches as sedulous and respectable blue-thoraxed bugs may be scientifically unfounded. But then Cheeniya, hasn't the chatty and poetic incarnation of pesky cockroach in the form of Archy (fictional character created by Don Marquis for his newspaper column) not redeeming enough to elevate the status of the crummy creatures to sensitive creatures (here case-sensitive typing only in lower case). Will that help you to soften your fear?

First_drawing_of_Archy.gif

I've always had enriching and koan experiences with doctors (read that as visited w.r.t injury, malady afflicted in anatomical regions I had very little knowledge about) listening to their explanations, preventions, cure and prophylactic guidance. One time I had a severe back pain, rushed to the hospital, and was restrained to admit myself in emergency ward by my patient and level-headed friend who accompanied. After waiting for 30 mins and entering into the physician's room, instead of liturgy of ailments I garbled "Doctor, I think my spinal code is broken, fractured, or cracked whatever. Or, may be one of my vertebrae is displaced or disappeared. I'm sure all this will show up on the scan along with my swollen lumbar region". The doctor took a deep breath and asked "Now that we have sorted out your diagnosis, just for the completion of record could you state the symptoms associated with such heightened mutilation of your spinal cord". The look on his face, women I tell you with bit of biology crammed in school they are ready to teach Galen. I shut my mouth for every other doctor appointment after this. You see, it was not pretentious knowledge, it was just excitement, fear, overwrought brain waking up after sleeping on a cantilevered bed, nothing but only broken spinal cord can explain that , right? Of course a person cannot stand erect dismiss walking but then Cheeniya you tell me how else can you explain all that pain , till date I say it was broken and then mysteriously fixed the next day no matter what the doc says about sprain and just a teensy sprain.

I don't flip papers these days but Hindu and TOI used to publish supplementary editions every Saturday/Sunday for their irregular customers to read weekend special columns. Would you mind scheduling your column weekly instead of monthly (your last snippet was published in April) to engage lazy and derelict souls like me. Not too much to ask as a devoted passive reader of your corner.

2 people like this.
  9. Cheeniya

Aria
    You have raised a very valid question about the armless, headless and spineless 3-legged stool and I want to tell you that this stool did figure in one of our earlier discussion long before the cockroaches came into it. The Doctor assured me that he was aware of the discomfort it was causing to his patients but he had no alternative but to use it just as thousands of other Doctors. When I looked askance at him, he explained that even with such uncomfortable stools, patients tend to linger on and if they are offered comfy cushioned seats, they would never leave the clinic. I knew it was a dig at me but then I found his reasoning flawless. When I asked him if there had been any instances of unstable equilibrium that caused a patient to fall, he weighed my question for a few minutes with knitted brows and answered that there had been instances of falling but he was not sure if the stool was the culprit. He tended to attribute such falls to the patients’ medical condition. In short he seemed to be thoroughly convinced with the efficacy of the stool.

I must express my gratitude to you in no uncertain terms for trying to bridge the gap between me and the cockroach. If a columnist had chosen the Roach as a fictional character, then I am sure there are some endearing aspects of this creature that I may have overlooked. But then over seven decades of feud cannot be sorted out by the presence of a stray super roach gleefully typing on the original version of a Remington typewriter reminding me of the typists who work under the trees in Chennai High Court Complex. Did you notice that roach? His two hind legs are firmly planted on the ground, two are typing but there is a limp extra pair that is dangling in between. It is this kind of useless appurtenances that put the roach on my hate list. I always tell them, ‘If you have limbs, use them instead of keeping them just to scare people’.

The narration of your visit to the Doctor only reconfirms my belief that a patient is better off staying on neutral ground. That’s why I discuss cockroaches, tri-legged stools and such other subjects where both will have something to contribute on. I have felt the same way as your Doctor during my Banking days when a customer walked in and started telling me how to appraise his loan application. On the contrary, I have had rollicking time when a customer shared his knowledge of the murky goings on in the city. But I see your point. There is always the possibility of unexpressed pain being taken very lightly by the Doctor. But in my view, if he takes such a view, it is better for us!

I do hope that your being a devoted passive reader will inspire me to write a lot more than I seem to do these days!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  10. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

You are right! Rotate, strobe, infra-red spectroscopy, and blow-up of the image to confirm atrophy of locomotive detachments. Huh, desuetude of natural selection! Behold! But then Cheeniya, would that extra pair of inactive limbs not assist to shoo fleas? We all agree that squinting larval, wriggling baby, worker dada, housebound mama roaches don't work in the most hospitable and green environs and recourse to insurance under such infernal living conditions is exploitive and long-standing legal battle between slogging arthropodic scriveners and 3PM T-break in parlour typists of Chennai High Court Complex. Again don't take this as selling you the idea of handshake with the scavenger species and assessing the GDP index to mankind on their amiss trade union strikes.

No intonation or incantation of pop-mantra rallied by our petite Taylor Swift "Shake it off" can slough that layer of torpor induced by withering summer in me. So your frequent participation will stimulate me to exert my limbs in the most employable manner by typing away rapturous replies.