1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best brand of milk for south indian decoction coffee????

Discussion in 'Indians in California' started by GPriya, May 12, 2015.

1. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I have lived in bay area for 10+ years until 2013 and now, I am back to Bay area. I need to know what brand milk to buy to make good strong South Indian filter decoction coffee? I used to buy Berkeley farms milk in 2013 but now, I tried every single brand that's available in super markets/Indian grocery stores.. My coffee is horrible. My hubby and I are coffee lovers and it is the one thing that we need to become human after a good night sleep.

BTW, I do make real good coffee always, am using the same coffee powder (cothas) and none of the procedure I follow has changed except the milk in bay area. The coffee powder makes wonderful coffee in Florida. So what am I doing wrong except using locally available milk? Pls suggest what brand milk I should buy to drink a good cup of home made coffee. Its a life saving help for me. Help me pls fast!!!!

Thanx,
    GPriya.

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Are yo using full fat milk? I find that those with lower fat content make poor coffees. Costco milk produces good coffee, so does organic valley.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

After much experiment.. I ended up with oaks farm dairy. The coffee tastes bad in any other milk...except that for me.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

Thx.. will try organic valley milk. Don't have Costco membership and don't intent on getting one either!!!!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

Not sure where to get oak farm diary milk in SFO Bay area. I lived in JAX, FL for the last 2 years and the milk there wherever you buy, is best for south Indian filter coffee and milk doesn't upset the stomach too. But here in bay area, milk quality is awful and I am yet to figure out how to improve the quality of my early morning coffee atleast!!!
    Thx for the suggestion.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

What coffee powder do you buy ? May be that will also make a difference. Me too living in JAX , Fl. I buy Kothas coffee powder and BJs Wellesley farms whole milk. I do not drink coffee but would love the nice aroma of a fresh decoction..:)

Regards,

Pavithra

Thyagarajan and Induslady like this.
  7. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

I dont drink coffee but my husband do. I used whole milk but now he prefers 2% any brand I mean Bj's or market basket or stop and shop any... doesnt matter. He likes Dunkin Donuts original blend no other flavor.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I prefer cartoned org milk 1% (BJ's is good) with cotha's coffee. and no microwaving milk

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Agree with the above IL'ite @PavithraS! With Filter Coffee, the decoction from a coffee powder with chicory content, makes a big difference especially with the milks we get here in USA.

IMO, you should try this combo:
    Organic Milk - 2% (Full Fat makes it too creamy, 1% makes it too watery)
    BRU filter coffee powder, formerly Green Label coffee - this has high chicory content
    Decoction to be made with 3 tsp coffee powder for 1 glass of water

We have tried Kothas coffee, it has little reduced chicory content and didn't find it as strong as the above one.

We are coffee lovers hard core! That too Filter Coffee - I have got Electric Coffee Maker from India too :) Day doesn't pass without coffee, you see!

Thyagarajan and PavithraS like this.
  10. GPriya

GPriya Bronze IL'ite

Hi Pavithra,

I don't live in Jax, FL anymore. I do use Cothas coffee with 2% milk..FL milk is never an issue. Excellent coffe with any brand milk there.

Hi Rathi,

I do love a good filter coffee and you are right that coffee powder has to have some chicory content to give it a body and flavor. But Bru filter coffee powder has 40% chicory and my hubby and I both couldn't use it, as it loses the taste of coffee bcos of too much chicory. But cothas coffee has only 15% chicory and its too low, so I add about a half T spoon of Bru coffee powder (40% Chicory) to make it stronger and I do boil fresh milk, definitely no microwaving..My process is not the issue here, its the bay area milk quality that spoils the taste of coffee. Will try couple of suggestion provided by other ladies here and see if I get lucky. Whole milk is NO good for filter coffee as it spoils the taste of coffee's bitterness.

Thyagarajan likes this.