1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Hobson's Choice!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear sw
    You are as amazing as Jerome K Jerome! A classic hypochondriac friend of mine tells me that it is far more difficult to survive imaginary ailments than real ones. For the real ones, there are specific lines of treatment that attack the very core of the problem but in the case of imaginary ailments, the only eventuality is that the Doctor attending on us would become stark bald or start muttering to himself and laugh aimlessly! You are right that hypochondria can be endless source of fun both for us and the Doctors!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Dear Priya
    When you are rendering such selfless service like diagnosing disease symptoms in others and possibly putting the fear of God in them, I fail to understand how you can become unpopular. In fact, you will have the blessings of all the Gods in abundance because your diagnosis would drive your victims to the various temples the coffers of which might already be bursting at the seams!
    Keep up your good work is my sincere advice to you!
    Sri

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya sir,

Hypochondriac..you too? Oh ho, how I sympathize with your wife! I totally understand her bursting veins in the forehead, I do I do for I too know how the veins bloat up!

Married to a Doc, I can more than understand your wife's woes. Though you are no doc, you may be one like Jerome K Jerome, quite educated on all maladies that invade us humans. Imagine what it is to be a doctor of medicine AND and hypo??? My only consolation is that there are too many doctors afflicted with this disease and far too many ladies who can understand this peculiar affliction called hypochondriac! I am in good company.

You are indeed a peculiar case I must admit. You Know you are hypochondriac and are quite cheerful because the likes of JKJ belong to your club. You even write elaborately on the malady and yet Are a hypochondriac? How is that even possible is what poor me is thinking. Honestly, you hypos beat me!

I have lost the count of the number of ER visits I have made just because pati dev was convinced his organs are playing up and the number of prayers I have sent in all sincerity to various Devas and Devis to keep us safe and protected is worth a book to write about! Only sir, I am no rambler like you.
    :-( However, some of his symptoms have vastly reduced now that we reside here and pay towards medicare bills from our own pocket!! Hospitals are not at his beck and call as they once were while he was a part of the faculty!

Any wonder that I totally and entirely understand your wife? How are we to recognize when the real wolf appears when false 'wolf wolf ' warnings are let out so often?? Tell me, tell us ( your wife included) !

L, Kamla

2 people like this.
  4. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Cheeniya Sir..
    Its always a delight to return to Indus Ladies and find your post waiting there to be read!!!
    I must confess I had to ask my friend google to refesh my memory about hobson choice.
    please stop reading too much into every ache and pain .. cough and sneeze.. with the limitless information available on the internet there is an arrow which points to the most exotic and sometimes rather frighteningly complicatedly named diseases..
    I remember when my son was small because i used to read extensively about child behavior on the internet i was certain that I had a problem child...
    have to ever read about mental illnesses.. phew do so.. I suffer from all of them if the net is to be believed!!!.. so you have one crazy me for a friend!!!
    kerman

1 person likes this.
  5. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

HI , KAMLA MAM , YOU TRULY DESERVE MANY MANY SYMPATHIES .
    A HYPOCHONDRIAC DOCTOR CAN MAKE YOU :bang .
    I PRAY I NEVER COME ACROSS ONE .

6. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya sir,

I stepped in here after a long time and guess where I arrived. I enjoyed reading so much you post as well as all the fbs.

This reminded me of a distant elderly relative. It was routine for her to insist at ungodly hours that she needed to see a doc right away. Each time a family doc would make house calls in the wee hours. After examining, he would advise her that there was nothing wrong with her. All her symptoms were charecteristic of geriatric patients.

Since she wouldnt give up the notion that there was something serious going on, he once commented, "do you want to play tennis at this age?"
    After he left, the lady cursed the doc that he did not know how to diagnose and probably failed in his exams.

Needless to say, another doc was called in a few days.This time the son informed the new doc of the previous scenario. This smart new doc told the lady, "pati, I know what exactly is bothering you. It is called hypochondriasis. Let me give you a magic pill and you will be relieved. Pati was now impressed with the new doc and the name of the disease she had. She got a placebo pill and was all praises for the new doc.

I pity your wife. I think she will want to stay in the waiting room next time!

7. Cheeniya

My dear buddy Kamla
    I first came to realise that hypochondria could be an endless source of fun only after reading Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome. PGW once wrote that even stomach pain was fun if it affected an adversary! It all depends on how we look at it. Hypochondria has made me hysterical with laughter whenever I recalled specific cases. The best form of it could be seen in clubs where they normally discussed ailments arising out of overeating of fried food and over-drinking. As the discussion progressed, the faces of hypochondriacs would become ashen with terror. Their fingers would start feeling all those places in their torso which would come under the purview of discussion. They normally went back home that night with cirrhosis of liver, pancreatic malignancy and a host of other fatal diseases!

Doctors afflicted with hypochondria is an interesting phenomenon. It reminds me of a highly venerated God-man who passed away a couple of years back. People believed that he took upon himself all the diseases of his devotees so that they could lead a healthy life. I can't say whether this technique paid off in the case of hypochondriacs. Doctors interact with sick people day in and day out and they can be victims of sympathetic reaction.

The devas and devis up there look forward to receiving these prayers regarding the ailments of hypochondriacs. For them it is like a Joke forwarded. They share it among themselves and laugh out aloud, roll on the floor laughing and do such things as the case deserved! Don't worry about the real wolf and false wolf. We can handle real wolf ourselves. It is the false wolf that keeps terrorising us most of the time!
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

My dear, dear Kerman
    If this can be one more reason to consolidate our friendship, I am too willing to browse more and carry more ailments. To be honest with you, I do not google for diseases these days but I do google for every medicine that is prescribed. Last week I was down with fever and was prescribed Dolo 650. I googled promptly for its side effects and was informed that Dolo 650 could induce:
    Nausea, rashes, liver toxicity.
    Leukopenia which is rare.
    Acute renal tubular necrosis.
    Very rare, blood dyscrasias.

I was not too keen to contract from tubular necrosis or blood dyscrasias and so did not take Dolo 650. Instead I applied icepack to my balding head! The sudden cooling of my head caused a cold and running nose. When I reached out for Vicks Vaporub, Google warned me about some serious side effects! I threw the bottle away as though it stung me! Despite all these, life goes on mercifully!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  9. Cheeniya

Dear sw
    I saw you banging your head against the wall. Do you know that
    One million Britons go to hospital a year after bangs on the head
    Some suffer from post-concussion syndrome
    Here, residual effects of traumatic brain injuries continue to plague the victim!
    :bonkEven this can do all the harm.
    Therefore please just stop with :bangcomp:
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Usha
    So nice to have you reading my Rambling again! I am happy you enjoyed reading all that is going on here. I can easily relate to your distant elderly relative. She must be a classic hypochondriac. Only the classic hypochondriac gets all the dreadful symptoms at dead of night when every one is sleeping after a hard day's work. It happens in my case too. The moment the last light is switched off along with the TV, my discomfort starts. Since I know all the symptoms of all the diseases like the back of my hand, I walk over to my PC to start exploring if there is any treatment on a 'home remedy basis'. I have become rather an expert in non conventional treatment of what ails me.

Last week I had ectopic of the heart. Immediately I took a pomegranate injected with almond oil after keeping it in the microwave for a few minutes. It tasted awful but since I was helping my heart, I suffered the rotten smell and taste silently!

I should say that the second Doctor was very resourceful!
    Sri

1 person likes this.