1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how to teach my son to learn new words

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by sonuramesh, Feb 8, 2013.

1. sonuramesh

sonuramesh New IL'ite

hi my son is 4yrs old and has a lot to learn and write everyday,but he never wants to do that.he always wants to watch POGO and does writing homework only because he is afraid of his teacher.HOw do I make him learn words taught in school:bonk

2. cedantseq

cedantseq New IL'ite

well you have to sit with him and read the words loudly. make it clear to him that he can watch TV, if he learns for one hour daily. slowly increase the timings thereon, also make it clear, if he wants something, if he learns, he can get it. be strict daily.it is a slow process, time will make him learn. regarding writing, you have to catch his hand and slowly write frist, let him try and do mistakes,but he has to practice

3. monu21

monu21 Senior IL'ite

teach him during bed time .i usually tell stories using new words to my kid aged 5 yrs old,next ask him some questions connecting to those words with fun......this thing i will repeat for 1 week or may be longer till he says those new words by himself....i suggest you to take him to bed prior 1 hr sleeping. time...see to that there is no divertion.you should fully concentrate on him only....this is the time where they wnt get distracted...this surely works well for me.....i started this habit when he was 2 yrs old...now he is very much interested in learning new words.....even if he watches tv i teach new words out of that....best wishes.....dnt worry everything goes well as he grows....

1 person likes this.
  4. HAS135

HAS135 New IL'ite

Helo
    My son (6 and half old) is also having some problems as always he wants to play or watch cartoons. another thing is whaterver he learns after some hours he will forget that. Sometimes lazy to go to school or tuition class. he is now in Grade 1. Pls advise me how can i make him more involved and concentrated in his studeis.

5. sonuramesh

sonuramesh New IL'ite

actually monu my little one is very smart in observing things around him and all social activities.Only thing is he does not like to learn school portions and dont want to spend time for that.I hope things will get better in a slow process.

6. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sonu , Make reading a little fun..Get him early readers book.
    Or you can simply write it colourfully (in a little big size) , like flash cards and teach him.
    Dont pressurise him as he might start hating it.

Be little strict with TV timings..

1 person likes this.
  7. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sonu , Make reading a little fun..Get him early readers book.
    Or you can simply write it colourfully (in a little big size) , like flash cards and teach him.
    Dont pressurise him as he might start hating it.

Be little strict with TV timings..

8. sonuramesh

sonuramesh New IL'ite

ya thats true.Yesterday I made him do some posters with those words and made him colour those.He was quite happy with that.

1 person likes this.
  9. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Though an old thread, very good ideas to engage kids and make learning a fun.

10. mimmyme

mimmyme Gold IL'ite

One easy way to teach words to your kids.
    Choose one topic or words....write it down on a piece of paper or a board (if you have) and paste in anywhere in your house.

Ask your child to read the word every time he will pass...
    And he will simply remember the word...

Any sunday....ask him to list the words

Kids love this approach wherein they don't have to sit at one place and stress...