What are IVF-ICSI succes rates with low motility and zero morphology

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Nithya001, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Nithya001

Nithya001 Bronze IL'ite

Hello, my husband has low motility and very low morphology (0-1%).
    We have had failed IUIs, and now with the latest semen analysis report the doctor is suggesting us to go for IVF. My husband was also diagnosed with varicocele and put on medications.

Because of the low morphology problem and my age (35) the doctor is now saying that we have only 30% chances of success in IVF.

Is IVF the last resort for us now? If yes has anyone had successful IVF with low morphology? Or is it better to get varicocele treated? We do not have much time because of my age.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If the morphology and motility is low then IVF+ICSI is the way to go.
    The stats posted by our clinic for age 35-37 are 34% for IVF. Even for younger women the success rates are around 46%.
    So don't get focused on statistics. As for the varicocele you will hear mixed opinions. Some people say the surgery helps, others don't see a difference. A lot of REs will tell you to go straight to IVF.

3. Saya83

Saya83 Silver IL'ite

@Nithya001 - Hi Nithya, even my DH has low sperm count and 0 motility. He was diagnosed with vericocele last August, but our doc suggested us to go for IVF directly as surgery might not be that effective. We still underwent the surgery, it was a simple surgery and he was discharged in a day. After three months, his sperm count increased a bit, but other factors remains the same.

Our Doctor has given me only 20% success rate with ICSI+IVF. This is my first cycle, so my RE agreed to opt for IUI first and then move to ICSI + IVF.

4. Nithya001

Nithya001 Bronze IL'ite

Thank or the response ladies.
    Saya83 can you please tell where did you get varicocele treatment done. We are in bangalore and looking for a good doctor for the same. Also, did the Dr do embolization for your Dh?
    Did you have to wait for three months for your first cycle of IVF? Or can we go ahead with IUI/IVF immediately after the surgery?

5. Saya83

Saya83 Silver IL'ite

@Nithya001 - We did the vericocele surgery from Kerala, Life line hospital Adoor. The Doctors are very good there. No, you can do IVF immediately. You will have to wait for minimum 3 months to see any improvement, as it takes 3 months for the sperm to produce.
    Sorry i do not know the meaning for embolization? can u explain it?

6. Nithya001

Nithya001 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Saya thanks for the reply. In varicocele embolization, the troublesome vein is blocked by inserting a spring like thing in the vein. It is a less invasive method of treating varicocele.

If we cannot do IVF for 3 months after varicocele treatment, can we still try naturally. The problem in my case is my age, we don't have much time. So cannot afford to miss trying for 3 cycles.

7. Saya83

Saya83 Silver IL'ite

Hi Nithya, I can understand your situation. Please dont and worry and have faith in God.
    What did your Doctor suggest regarding vericocele surgery? If they have not asked for immediate surgery, then dont do. Also which grade vericocele is it? My DH was grade 2 and still Doc was not very keen on surgery. It was our decision to do the surgery and check out if any change is there. There is no change in sperm motility after the surgery also.

Though some Doc says that it will improve the sperm quality.

I am not sure about trying naturally, as the sperm production takes 3 months of time and hence for the first three months, there will not be any impact of surgery. Also, we did leproscopic surgery and hence DH got discharged in one day. But he was supposed to take rest for three weeks and we didnt indulge in IC for that period. Keep all these factors in mind.

Even for us Doc suggested IVF in without surgery. It was totally our decision to undergo the surgery. My sincere advice is take 2-3 opinion from different Doctors and decide.

All the best for your treatment and wish you sitcky baby dust soon. hugsmiley

8. babybloom

babybloom New IL'ite

would recommend u to go for IVF+TESA+ICSI .. Goodluck

9. WiniPooh

WiniPooh Gold IL'ite

Nithya001: You would need to do two things - Treat the vricocle (which is also surgically removable) and/ or take to the TESA route to extract healthy sperms directly from the main stream than that which degenerates. The ICSI success rate is much higher with TESA route of extraction of sperm (if its the male fertiloty factor impacting).

10. Nithya001

Nithya001 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Saya for your wishes and response. Yes we are looking to consult different doctors.

Thanks for the reponse babybloom.

@Winipooh, thanks for the reponse. We are looking for a good urologist in bangalore for varicocele treatment. In case you know any renowned urologist please share.

Our current fertility expert has suggested the IVF+ICSI route, but did not tell anything about TESA. Do you know any clinic with high success rates for IVF ICSI TESA. We are searching for another doctor in Bangalore as my DH is not satisfied with the approach of our current fertility expert. We found mixed opinions about Ankur Manipal. Please share if you have any info about Ankur.