1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to name this mentality?!?!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Cindhuja, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

The chinese are not any behind us in this mentality thing ....

1. They will come to the Indian stores cause the sabzis are cheaper. Then they will proceed to physically push me out of the way while I sort through the veg bins so that they can get the best and freshest veggies before me. This hapened to me so many times that the last time I had to start screaming at one lady and created a scene right in front of everyone else in the store.

2. At costco last weekend, there was this chinese lady in the egg section who had 10 open egg cartons in front of her. She proceeded to check each and every box and keep the "best" eggs in the carton she was purchasing!

2. vehera2008

vehera2008 New IL'ite

While reading this thread, you cringe a little, but having lived in this country for 20 years now , I wholeheartedly agree to have been a spectator to some and even more instances, quoted here. I have a name for this, how about "despicable petty mindset". It all stems from our attitude of not being too altruistic and of lacking a social conscience. It is amazing the lack of scruples some of them have like what Bipasha has quoted "about using and returning things to the store once the need is met". By the way it is not only the middle class folks, I have seen some extremely wealthy desi crowd guilty of this, unabashedly. We would never be able to return an item once it has been used in India, here the very fact that we have this opportunity, we take advantage of the situation. It is unfortunate, that the generic type of attitudes ,that some desis, seem to posess, is of an exploitative/predatory kind.

3. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi Bipasha,

Felt really bad after reading about those people. Thanks for sharing your comments.

4. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi Pmahensa,

Yes i have also noted few people.In the return counters i have equally seen them along with desis

5. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi vehera2008,

Well written.Shared your comments with many of friends.thanks for the response.

6. bhagirathi

bhagirathi New IL'ite

Hi Cindhuja
    Yes, I agree with you and everyone else here, sad but true.

I want to point out an issue that bothers me to no end. Everytime I board the Air India flight at the O'Hare airport, it is the same spectacle..

Flight crew will plead with people to stand in a line but there will be this deluge of people in front of the gate jostling one another. When they announce to give priority to elderly people and ones with infants, I frequently see mom's dragging their 8-10 yr olds towards the gate.

It is not as if the flight is going to leave without boarding everyone, why this behavior? Everyone has a reserved seat as well...

Might I add, the crowd is almost always 100% Indian and we make quite a sight in front of the other rule-abiding, queue-forming people at the International airport.

Feel much better after my rant bonk

-Bee

7. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

hi Cindhu, Bee and all Other ILites,

I'm in the US for the last 10+ yrs. I have seen this since the day I came to US. This is not "middle class" mentality. Like someone said, people from all classes do it. This is "Smart Alec" mentality!!

I had a neighbor who would go grocery shopping only when I get my car out. It would avoid spending on gas, adding mileage to their car, make it dirty and what if we meet with an accident? To save all this trouble, she will wait until I go.. ( or until another neighbor goes)! Her daughters would come to my home, when my son comes home from school. 'Coz I have some snacks or the other for him ready. They will eat and disappear the next minute. The last straw was when one of the girls was complaining that my son would not share his bicycle with her. So, I asked her to get her bicycle and they can exchange. The girl says her mom asked her to learn bike-riding on my son's bicycle. Hers' will be damaged if she falls while learning, you see!! Witsend I told the girl that the bicycle is not mine. It is my son's. So take it if he gives...!Harhar

What Bhagirathi says is so true... As soon as boarding is announced, they run to the gate! what for ! They surely will be having the last numbers in the boarding calls.... Even when they are getting off an aircraft, they get up and stand in the aisle. What for? They know they have to wait till all First Class and Business Class gets off. If there is someone who has to catch a connecting flight... who cares? We have to get down first! That is what matters!! Witsend

Regards,
    Sharada

8. Shuba kutty

Shuba kutty New IL'ite

Yes I have seen the same thing. I want to add the incident of people going on trains or buses in India. They are limited to some time to stop at a station but could we not all just think that the other person may need to go somewhere more important then we do? What if the other had to go to the hospital and we just needed to go to a friend's house? Which one do you think is more important? I just hate it when everyone pushes and basically squishes you in between making you feel like you can't breathe! I remember this one time where a lady was getting on the train and she turned around and started screaming at my brother because he wasn't so called getting on the train fast enough! Not like there was much room though! Amma was trying to ignore it and my sister couldn't bare it so she said something back. How come people are so rude like this? I dont know, I guess they just feel that the world only circulates around themWitsend hehe my ranting made me feel better toobonk

кєєρ ѕмιℓιηg~ѕнυвα кυтту