anyone from kampala-Uganda

Discussion in 'Indians in Africa' started by Mahajanpragati, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi kumarvhitran,
    if u will read this thread u will find answers to nearly all questions...........
    still in brief.....
    1.lots of apartments in areas like Makere,Buglobi,Bukoto,Nakasero....in price range of 500$ or so.......with lots of indians sraying here........gated community with good security will cost 1500$ or so.......
    2.its perfectly safe to travel on weekends..........uganda has lots of tourist.........& security is not an issue.
    3.LPG is provided by all major oil companies like Shell & can be got from petrol stations or supermarkets......
    4.u get everything here & prices are almost same as in India........still if u want u can get some utensild like non stick pans & pressure cookers.............
    5.it gets cold here so get some warm clothes.......fullsleeved Tshirts & so on.......sweaters are not needed....
    6.good intenet connections.......can get about 3GB facilities by orange for 85000ush...,1GB for 45000USH..........
    7.there is no such thing as MRP....so prices vary from shop to shop........after 2-3 mths u start finding what item is cheap in which supermarket & shop accordingly.....
    8.we usually bring face creams & lotions from india for an year as u may not get the brand u use.....
    9.lots of social activities so bring all party wear
    10.i can't make a guess but without kids 1000$ is enough to have good life if u choose apartments......

2. kumarchitran

kumarchitran New IL'ite

Brilliant...thanks a lot for answering all my questions :)

3. Skanand

Skanand New IL'ite

Hi Pragati,

Thanks for your revert. I got a mail from Inidna International School, their fee is 450USD per term and there are 3 terms in a session. Plus point is they have all Indian teachers..so i feel it would be a comfortable situation for my kid. I will be travelling with my family in mid of august. Do I need to come with some necessary items which would be required to me immediatley. Although my accomodation is taken care by the company but even then I would like to know if I need to bring something important??
    How is the weather?? Do I need to carry some woolen clothes ? How is the transportation system ?? Someone told me that I need to have a decoder(don't know what it is ??) to watch indian TV channels...is it true?? I will be taking on arrival visa so what docs I need to produce? My co. told first it will be a tourist visa then we will convert it to work visa...how will I get a tourist visa when I have a invitation letter of employment ?? Pls share with me the on arrival visa form and required docs or any website which can help me.
    How is the drinking water taste?? Do I need to filter it ?? How is the power supply..any kind of power cut??

Kindly assist. If any other query I will ask you again.

Thanks

Anand

4. Skanand

Skanand New IL'ite

Hi Pragati,

Request your revert.

5. Mahajanpragati

hi,
    sorry...we are currently in Mombasa Kenya........with sightseeing & socialing there is not time for browsing.....
    anyway Indian International is a new school & i think this is their 1st session.you should come here ,see all schools urself & then decide upon the best for ur kids.
    it tends to get cold so get some fullsleeved tshirs for self & kids.heavy sweaters not required.....it rains a lot so maybe some rainwear.......

usually people used to come on tourist visa( which is on arrival) & then company converts it into workpermit .WP is costly so make sure ur company is paying for it as well as dependent pass for ur spouse & student pass for kids once they start school.......dependent pass means ur wife will not be able to work.......

though these days immigration is strict & work permit has to be got before hand ..chk with ur company.
    also the Uganda immigration authority has a website.google & u will get lots of info.....when u arrive u need not show any documents as u r Tourist visiting the country.u will need 50 $ per person visa fee.

TV require Decoder which the citi cable will provide .....

u get everything here ....utensils,groceries etc......for ur initial days settlement if u want u can get some utensils & little grocery.lots of indian resturants so there is really no need & moreover collagues /neighbours tend to send food for 1st few days.....
    power supply is good & many houses have inverters......

6. letmeinplz

letmeinplz New IL'ite

hi,
    i have recently shifted to kampala with my husband & two sons.i love the place.its one of the greenest cities i have seen ,weather too is great.

7. ameetbakshi

ameetbakshi New IL'ite

Hi Pragati,

I would be moving to Kampala from India for work purpose, wanted to know how is the place , weather,social culture at Kampala. Also what would be your suggestions before I decide to move from India to Kampala.

1) whats the Cost of living?
    2) Hows the safety for Indians?
    3)Howz Social Activities?
    4)R there good Schools?
    5)R There good Hospitals?
    6)etc miscellaneous queries?

Regards
    Ameet

8. PradeepDwivedi

PradeepDwivedi New IL'ite

Dear Sir,Madam

I am shifting from India to Kampala so i want to know what are the security and about people of uganda. i am from india Bhopal so i am worry about that

if there is every thing is fi9 so will shift from india

thanks
    Pradeep Dwivedi

9. Mahajanpragati

hi,
    we have left Kampala and now,I can't provide any ground level information......
    so I request the moderator to close this thread.
    kind regards

10. mvramana

mvramana New IL'ite

Hello I am from Hyderabad, n we 3 friends are planning to come to Uganda for to find any job. Is jobs are available their. Please let me know. Thanking you.

M.v.ramana