1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A very frustrated wife

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by kurinje, Feb 19, 2015.

1. kurinje

kurinje New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    I came here after a long thought. I don't know if it is appropriate to share about husband and family but I am getting stressed a lot.

Here is my story. It was an arranged marriage and we are married for 14 months. I was working in a very good company in a nice role before marriage in India. I was very much satisfied and happy with my life. Modern and independent girl and I am good looking too. I fell in love with my DH in our first meeting and of course the meeting was arranged by our parents. We both look perfect for each other and he showered me with gifts, flowers, love before marriage.
    I moved to London after marriage and had to quit my job too.
    Once we started to live together I started to understand about him more. His definition for love is different. It is marriage with no strings attached. He doesn't want to spend more money for house expenses and won't help me in any of house hold chores. He doesn't want to have even baby because he can't share any baby work and he already said I should take care completely. He expects me to do all house work including managing all shopping and bills. He won't even drop or pick me up in his car if I have to go somewhere.
    I found a job here within few months and I travel by bus and train. he never dropped me on a single day.

My in-laws visited here for two months and those two months were like a hell. He never spoke to me normally and always talk to his parents and go out with them for walk or shopping leaving me alone. He enjoy watching tv with them till 11pm and by that I will be very tired and we both just sleep.

My heart started aching for some love and attention. there are so many times I felt like ending my life since I dont have courage to go back to my parents. I dont like living a life like this without any love and care. What am I in this house? am nothing just a like a table or chair. My MIL and FIL are not happy about me because they are very very orthodox and am modern. They wanted me to do 3 times cooking and too much of demands. I couldnt satisfy because of my long walk and travel to office. I really dont have any strength to wake up at 5 and finish my cooking then leave for office.

The problem now is he wants to go back to India this year and settle there. It is obviously with inlaws as joint family. I already have no interest in life and had enough trouble in two months. My MIL demands me to do all work at home starting from rangoli in the morning till finish dinner at night. No am not that energetic. My husband would not let me be a house wife since he already said he is not offering any free service for me or my future kid. I should also earn enough money for living. I feel very bad why am I living with him? Should I end this marriage or end my life since I dont have any life without my husband.

A very frustrated wife

1 person likes this.

2. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

Dont worry on the vent, I do it all the time.

Why is he being such a jerk?... how can a marriage be no strings attached?.. No help, no kids, no nothing. I wonder if seperation works and it would back fire. Well, for me it would be very difficult to live like this for tje rest of my life. You have to make a decission if you are willing to sign up for this. And the routine question" why didnt you have a clue on this bedore marriage?" And DONT make your life worthless by ending it. DO NOT.

2 people like this.
  3. kurinje

kurinje New IL'ite

@Heron, I am not able to think of anything normally.I am so depressed, lonely. Sometimes I feel there is no life without him and sometimes I feel why should I lose my self esteem and live like this for him. I want him to realize my feelings I want him to give some attention some talk. I am ready to go to any extreme for that. He didnt give any clue about his attitude before marriage. I couldnt even guess his 'no strings' attitude. Its all coming out now. But I still love him. All I need is just some care and few words. I can manage everything if he can give me that.

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op...you seem very depressed. Have you tried getting help for it. Try it.After that try some marriage counseling.A neutral third person may be able to make him understand better.

3 people like this.
  5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Have you thought about separation .

6. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

i see you want to try, I wish you all the luck. Talk to him saying that it cannot go on like this. Ask him if he wants to work on it. Any positive signs, then give it some time or else you think for yourself if its all worth. But no you are not doing any harm to yourself for a person who would not give a damn. One last try, no harm.

1 person likes this.
  7. kurinje

kurinje New IL'ite

@armummy, No. I dont want separation. I can't hurt my parents.My dads heart will break to see my life spoiling in a year. I dont have courage to give them such pain.May be am not accepting what I got. May be this is how all Indian women life will be after marriage.

8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op...stop talking about giving up your life.You think your father's heart will not break like this?

Secondly...stop being needy for him. Work on your self esteem.
    How did he manage his work before marriage?
    If he won't help you....then you stop somethings you do for him. Make food one time only.If he objects...tell him you walk to work...if he is willing to drop you to work...you might have the time and energy to do more.
    Just do as much as you can without breaking your back.

Do not plan a child with him till he gets his act together.Let his parents complain or let his fatherly instincts kick in....then tell him what he needs to do to be a worthy father.

What does he do with his money if he is not giving you any? Does he give you money to run the house? Start asking for more.....if he doesn't,then cut down on house expenditure...let him live on his own budget.If you are overworked...tell him to pay someone to come and help you out once in a while.

Don't be a good wife to a bad husband. It will just leave you frustrated ...he won't change because he won't see a need to change.

12 people like this.
  9. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Kurinje,

First of all, its your life, do what makes you happy.. Am sure your parents would totally support you no matter what that is.. All they want is to see their daughter happy.
    Never ever think of ending life, that is the worst that can happen to your parents and you..Please try talking to your parents, at least just your mom (if you think your dad will be upset), that would be very helpful for you.. It may seem hard, but try..

As for solutions to your problem, try to open up to your husband and tell him how you feel. If that doesn't work, give him a taste of his own medicine, find some friends, spend time with them and enjoy your time abroad..Don't forget to have your own bank account. If your in-laws have issues with your behavior, tell them you can't work for them and also earn money for yourself, since their son is not going to provide for you you have to earn for myself.

3 people like this.
  10. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Since he is from a orthodox family i guess he wouldn't have seen the environment where mom and dad share chores.I guess you need to start treating him the same way he treats you.Since you are working, clearly allocate some chores for him to do like cleaning the vessels after you complete cooking,folding his own clothes,vaccuming the house etc and dont even do those things until he does.i guess behaving like a room mate rather than a wife will bring some sense in him.These things will definitely backfire and will cause lot of fights and arguments between you two,but put your feet down and stick to the rules.

1 person likes this.