1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Cancer - What are you doing to prevent it?

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Laks09, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear ILites,
    February 4th, 2015 is "World Cancer Day". With regard to preventing the dreaded monster called Cancer, we all do things consciously or otherwise. I would like to hear from you, what are you doing to stay "Cancer Free".

Did you help a family member kick the smoking habit?
    Are you reading labels and avoiding known carcinogens?
    Are you trying to get to a healthy BMI?
    Are you getting in some physical activity?
    Are you going for yearly physical exams?
    Do you ensure to get the Pap smear done as recommended?
    Do you do monthly breast exams?
    What changes are you making to your diet and lifestyle to stay disease free?

On my part, I've decided to start moving more, eat better quality food, stay a healthy weight and most importantly get into see my doctor for my yearly physicals. I'm terrible at monthly self breast exams but I have got the pamphlet from the doctors office and I'm going to try and do it every month.

Let us share our tips on healthy life choices and early detection!

Stay healthy and take care of yourself and your families!

3 people like this.

2. kanmani

kanmani Junior IL'ite

Hi,

Nice thread on world cancer day. I read some where that Avocado is one of the best cancer fighting natural food. That it helps healthy cells stay healthy and causes unhealthy cells to die. I plan to include this fruit more in our diet, luckily our family loves Avocado in any form!

Regards.

1 person likes this.
  3. drrenu

drrenu New IL'ite

The most common cancer in women in India is cervix cancer and it can be prevented.First of all I create awareness amongst my patients about the disease such as its causation, its initial symptoms and how we can screen our self through pap test and HPV DNA testing.The second most common cancer is breast cancer though it can not be completely prevented in intact breast,steps can be taken to pick up the disease in early stage by self breast examination,Mammography and sonomammography.

3 people like this.
  4. AruljothiD

AruljothiD Silver IL'ite

After Seeing the Cancer Fighter stories Shared World Cancer Day Thread, I searched net to find prevention methods for cancer. Happy in sharing this article here,,
    An Article from Times of India 8 Indian Spices To prevent Cancer

8 Indian spices that prevent cancer - The Times of India

2 people like this.
  5. AruljothiD

AruljothiD Silver IL'ite

For Cervical Cancer

The guidance identifies key opportunities and ages throughout a woman’s life when cervical control and prevention can be put into action, especially for:

• Primary prevention: human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination targets girls aged 9 to 13 years, aiming to reach them before they become sexually active.
    • Secondary prevention: access to technology for women over 30 years of age, such as VIA (visual inspection of the cervix with acetic acid) or HPV testing for screening, followed by treatment of detected precancerous lesions, which may develop into cervical cancer.
    • Tertiary prevention: access to cancer treatment and management for women of any age, including surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
    • When curative treatment is no longer an option, access to palliative care is crucial

Full Article link :-http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2014/preventing-cervical-cancer/en/

2 people like this.
  6. Sahana1

Sahana1 New IL'ite

Hi @Laks09
    It is so kind of you to create this thread,which will* help people to prevent cancer with these useful tips

Here are some tips :
    1.Don't burn plastic.The burning of plastic provides hamfull gases,which may lead to cancer
    2. Certain cancer-fighting foods and other healthy habits can dramatically lower your cancer risk
    3. Avoid sugary drinks, and limit consumption of high-calorie foods, especially those low in fiber and rich in fat or added sugar.
    4.Be physically active for atleast 30 minutes a day
    5. Limit consumption of salty foods and food processed with salt (sodium).
    6. Limit consumption of red meats (including beef, pork, and lamb) and avoid processed meats.
    7.If you drink alcohol, limit your daily intake to two drinks for men and one drink for women.
    Hope this help you
    Regards,
    Sahana

2 people like this.
  7. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

I drink 2-3 cups of green tea in office. Just hot water and green tea. The tea is the raw green leaves one not the tea bags/pouches one. At home, i drink the indian chai in the morning.

Walk for 30 mins/day. Take stairs whenever possible. Take Vitamin-D tablets.

I have seen a really sad cancer story in front of my eyes. One of my employee, a Chinese died a couple of years back due to cancer. He didn't smoke/drink. He used to get his food from home. Had a cough which lasted 3 months. Finally, his doctor did some test and he had a kidney cancer. They cut of his kidney. Everything was fine for a month after which they found cancer in his brain. Did a brain surgery, everything was fine for 4 months. Started working again. Then they found cancer on his lungs. He finally passed away. So there is no sure way of preventing cancer.

2 people like this.
  8. Lin1321

Lin1321 Silver IL'ite