1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Just a small suggestion....Mam,

I think aviyal will taste better when we cut the veggies long and thin. Will try and post a photo one day.... I love aviyal so I personally don't mind spending time in chopping them which usually takes more than cooking time.

1 person likes this.
  2. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

So much of information sharing. Just caught up on the last few pages. Shanvy, my mil is among those who doesn't like to wash dosa pans, frying pan that she uses for tadka, and also plates that she keeps cut veggies on or close the dishes. She puts everything back in the shelf after use saying its not dirty and I take it back and wash them and put it back.

Had left over veggies from last week. Today made a healthy soup with them- a handful of murungai keerai leaves and dal, beans, bottle gourd, avarakkai, onion, garlic, and crushed cumin seeds, pressure cooked for 7-8 whistles. All these veggies were just 1 or 2 pieces left. Added pepper separately for others as I didn't want to have pepper. DH said it was as good as the soup we have regularly in a soup stall.

Lunch is varagu rice with mixed veg kurma (green peas, carrot, broccoli and a turnip, again left over veggies) and cabbage poriyal.

@Shanvy sorry if I sound ignorant but you mentioned earlier that we are using lot of english veggies. After reading that I felt you are right because all I cook mostly is carrots, beets, potato, cabbage, gobi, etc. Can you please tell me what are the traditional veggies used by elders (I also use brinjal, gourds, etc)

Also can you point me to a site/link where I can get to know what are the seasonal veggies and fruits in our state. I generally go to pazamudir and it seems they have most of the veggies all the time and I never gave it a thought until I read your post.

1 person likes this.
  3. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Shanthi mam,

Thanks for the words....

And thank u for that cute lil nick name :)

This snap was taken 2 yrs back when I was in my rental house...sweet memories..
    Now have to find time to write something..very bad...

But be sure that I would keep an eye on this thread though I dont participate here..
    Thank you so much mam for sharing so many things with us..

Take care...

3 people like this.
  4. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

Rathi... Vl post the recipe ASAP....just hard to type by pad....

shanvy mam..... Thanks ... Yesterday I made yummy mochai poriyal....ds told tasty ....

took ok pic but couldn't post thru phone...

shanvy mam... Your plates looks yummy.. The recipe of the Thiruvathira Kottu plz... My grandmother used to prepare... I have 20 yrs before...

just logged in in to post my new try...Palak-mushroom-corn-cheese rolls for ds's snacks...
    image.jpg

Roasted the sides for my soup

7 people like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

yes vani, i would love the traditional avial anyday. but this cut is a my own kickback (i would say i care a damn about the size or bite mood) we have very rigid rules on the cut of vegetables..a cabbage if not shredded thin would be quoted to be like your head..) and my son is very finicky if the veg is cut big on day to day basis and if it gets mushy..both his spd and gene :rant. so when it is just me and dd it is any size acceptable..lol.

and i make it as you say when we have guests,and when the family has it..with more coconut and a little liberal oil..otherwise very few slices of coconut, chillies and liberal curd. and i think i will not call it avial.

And do post the authentic pic of avial, i miss it, as i used to get it from a aunty who used to pamper me with wonderful avial,olan and appams but she has moved far.

1 person likes this.
  6. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

@chillbreeze

one of our Tradiational vegetable is Kovaikai (ivy gourd).

It contains Vit A,B, B1 & C very good for diabetic & act as laxative, maintain blood sugar level.

you can plan this at least once in two weeks

If i come across some useful information about traditional vegetable I will share here.

2 people like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@chillbreeze i am not against these vegetables. i only meant using more of what is grown locally helps a lot in combating our seasonal allergies and more..

a tale that a person shared once. olden days most of us had a cow at home, and used the milk for our regular use. and though she is worshipped as kamadhenu for various reasons, this person said that she indeed was gomata/kamadhenu because she was so integral part of our lives that she could sense the necessary things needed by the family and produce that along with the milk. he went on to say that her milk became the medicine for the illness.

though i don't have any proof, but sometimes i tend to think there could have been.. havent we heard that our pets are the first once that sense sickness or disease even before our doctors..

and last month the prof. i mentioned had asked me to wean off tubers for my daughter. if you notice i have not had a carrot/beetroot or potato dish in the last 30 days maybe once i made potato. he says that carrots and beetroot though touted as healthy are tubers. now if you raise the doubt will radish and knolkhol not be tubers, no they are part of the cabbage family. nature has a very balanced ways.

so i only drink carrot and beets juice once a week. potatoes, yam,and all these only once in 15 days /2 days. i have not cooked yam too..

so it is possible to eat locally grown. i do not know any sites love. from what i have tried - all greens (around 64 out of which we can eat or readily available is 20+), drumstick, pavakkai/bittergourd, sorakkai/bottlegourd, poosanikkai/ashgourd, kovakkai/tindora , kothavarangai/cluster beans, avarakkai/broad beans, karamani /long beans, chow chow/bangalore kathirikkai/chayote, brinjal, ladysfinger, parangikaai/yellow pumpkin, pudalangai/snakegourd, mullangi/radish, valakkai/plantain, valathandu/plantain pith, vazhapoo/plantain flower, and then rotational - senai/yam, seppangizhangu/arbi, koor kizhangu/ a variety of tuber, and yes you can add cabbage, cauliflower too..

9 people like this.
  8. chillbreeze

Thanks SR and Shanvy. I didn't even know what are locally grown veggies as I always see all the veggies in supermarket, hence had to clarify it from you. I am going to pay more attention to the veggies you mentioned. Thanks again.

1 person likes this.
  9. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

No need to say thanks we are just sharing our knowledge. You can watch z tamil channel morning it is very much useful to learn local vegetables and its medicinal properties.

recently I have mentioned in my earlier post we have to select the vegetables which has seeds. seedless vegetables are mostly tasteless and unhealthy. you can feel the difference between the local Tomato and Seedless tomato ( Banglore tomato ) and the same in Brinjal too

1 person likes this.
  10. chillbreeze

I do watch that program SR, but most often I find the herbs and plants he speaks of are not available here. There is also another show in Vendar Tv, I think by 7.30 (or 8) AM which is quite informative. Try to catch that too.

2 people like this.